Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
LOL copying system files from older versions of the OS at random with the side effect of whacking sshd.

All to get dropdown menus to be translucent with no actual useful benefit whatsoever. It's amazing the pains some people will go through to shoot themselves in the foot.

yeah, maybe you should encourage more people to do this. NOT :D

PS> There's no reason to enable root login. All you have to do is run "sudo bash" and you can get a root prompt.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
LOL copying system files from older versions of the OS at random with the side effect of whacking sshd.

All to get dropdown menus to be translucent with no actual useful benefit whatsoever. It's amazing the pains some people will go through to shoot themselves in the foot.

PS> There's no reason to enable root login. All you have to do is run "sudo bash" and you can get a root prompt.

It didn't kill my sshd. There's an unrelated issue with his system.

It was hardly copying at random. If you don't want to do it, or you don't like the menus, that's fine -- that's your prerogative. The only good reason to tell people not to do it is if they're unexperienced with the Terminal or have reservations replacing system files. Some of us don't take issue with this and (god forbid apparently) have a different opinion than others about the menus. Therefore some of us have done this, and most had no issues with the modification.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005

By the way, I think my SSH problem wasn't created from this edit. I changed the files back and I still couldn't SSH... I'm further investigating this problem but, I think it might have been from a Security Update from Apple.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
The only good reason to tell people not to do it is if they're unexperienced with the Terminal or have reservations replacing system files.

I have to disagree with you there. It's your prerogative to haphazardly back out miscellaneous system files, but you certainly do so at your own risk, and there is plenty of risk involved. I wonder what exactly is going to happen when the next update is going to come out. Will those that do this be the loudest to scream when the update screws up features that others magically don't have problems with?

*edit* Sorry, TheSpaz is already blaming an update. I must be psychic. :D

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I have to disagree with you there. It's your prerogative to haphazardly back out miscellaneous system files, but you certainly do so at your own risk, and there is plenty of risk involved. I wonder what exactly is going to happen when the next update is going to come out. Will those that do this be the loudest to scream when the update screws up features that others magically don't have problems with?

*edit* Sorry, TheSpaz is already blaming an update. I must be psychic. :D

And I have to disagree with you. There was nothing haphazard about it. Your opinion is wrong; you don't have your facts right. I spent several hours researching where and what frameworks these attributes were controlled by, and determined exactly what it was I had to change. I messed up ONCE (originally missing to replace one framework that was linked to CoreUI). Second time worked. There's very little risk involved with this procedure. With some minor terminal knowledge, even if you do mess up somehow (not likely if you follow directions), it's an easy recovery. Anyone can do this with a little knowledge and understanding of Unix and Mac OS X underpinnings. And updates breaking things related to the files replaced? Maybe, but if you've ever even used any "official" haxies, you're familiar with that experience.

As it is, the files changed have NOTHING to do with SSH/SSHD, so, for the second time, SSH/SSHD issues are due to 3rd party software conflicts with the last security update. Check the Apple Discussion Boards.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
Your opinion is wrong.
LOL So open minded.

I spent several hours researching where and what frameworks these attributes were controlled by, and determined exactly what it was I had to change. I messed up ONCE (originally missing to replace one framework that was linked to CoreUI). Second time worked. There's very little risk involved with this procedure. With some minor terminal knowledge, even if you do mess up somehow (not likely if you follow directions), it's an easy recovery. Anyone can do this with a little knowledge and understanding of Unix and Mac OS X underpinnings.

I'm not getting into a pissing match with you despite the fact that you're not so subtly trying to say that you know more than I do. My knowledge is irrelevant. All I need to know is that without the source code, which you do not have, you have no idea what side effects mixing and matching portions of core elements from different releases could do. If you say you do then "Your opinion is wrong.". What you are recommending people do is risky simply because you really have no idea what the risks are because you do not have the source to see what the risks are.

If people want to do it, that's fine. But they should be aware that there is most certainly risk.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
LOL So open minded.

Hah, look who's talking:

Fix for what? Being able to read your menu's without the distraction of background bleedthrough?

I'm not getting into a pissing match with you despite the fact that you're not so subtly trying to say that you know more than I do. My knowledge is irrelevant. All I need to know is that without the source code, which you do not have, you have no idea what side effects mixing and matching portions of core elements from different releases could do. If you say you do then "Your opinion is wrong.". What you are recommending people do is risky simply because you really have no idea what the risks are because you do not have the source to see what the risks are.

If people want to do it, that's fine. But they should be aware that there is most certainly risk.

I have no intention of getting in a pissing match either, especially with someone who wants to put words in my mouth. That and someone who is pretty hellbent on "not so subtly trying to say" (a.k.a. implying) that his opinion is the only one worth consideration. Look, even without source code, you can easily determine what the effects are going to be. One function changed in the CoreUI framework. That's it. That, and three weeks of testing says there is no issue. Except maybe that issue with those ugly, transparent menus (what were they thinking?!).

Your knowledge of the situation is completely relevant. Without having even looked into it yourself (and you apparently haven't) then exactly where are your arguments qualified to call others wrong for doing it? You probably haven't even read the thread -- no where in there (above linked thread) did I encourage anyone to be adverse to risk. I said plenty to the effect of "if you're unsure, don't do it." Good argument/debate comes from knowledge and research, not ignorance and presumptions.

Sigh, pissing contest, indeed. You provoked it and I don't want to be a part of it. My participation stops here.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
That and someone who is pretty hellbent on "not so subtly trying to say" (a.k.a. implying) that his opinion is the only one worth consideration.
I've not done any such thing. I've said that people should be aware there is a risk. Sorry if that offends you.

Look, even without source code, you can easily determine what the effects are going to be.
No, you can't. You can only guess.

One function changed in the CoreUI framework. That's it.
And how do you know that exactly without the source? And how do you know that the changes won't effect other functions you didn't look at? You don't. You're guessing.

That, and three weeks of testing says there is no issue.
yeah, one guy "testing" for 3 weeks. That's proof. Exactly what tests did you run? Or did you just "use" it and see if you noticed anything bad happen? That's not testing. You don't know what you don't know. THAT is the problem.

Your knowledge of the situation is completely relevant. Without having even looked into it yourself (and you apparently haven't) then exactly where are your arguments qualified to call others wrong for doing it?

I've never said anyone is wrong for doing it. I applaud you for having fun doing it. Frankly, I think it's pretty cool that you did it. I simply am pointing out that there is risk that you choose to ignore that others may not want to.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Just an update guys... my SSH still wasn't working and I fought with it all day to get it to work... well... as luck would have it... Apple released a version 1.1 of their Security Update and after installing that and restarting, my SSH is working normally again... so it WAS an update that caused the problem and they released another update that fixed the problem that the first update caused... so chill out... it wasn't the menus that broke it... it was a coincidence!

I applaud Stratus Fear and I sincerely thank him for all the work he's put into this *find* for free. I believe him when he says he took his time and figured out exactly what files those were and what they were affecting before he just went and started replacing files... geeze. Anyways... my computer is running normally again and I don't notice any other side affects. Way to go Stratus Fear, you are still awesome!

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
What TheSpaz said. I, too, applaud Stratus Fear for his hard work, and he did warn anybody not to do it if they were at all unsure, or didn't want to take the risks. It's absolutely pointless to warn people of something they've already been warned about. It's even more pointless to try to somehow say that it's wrong to change a few files around to make something work the way a user wants. They're OUR computers.

Stratus Fear made the point clear that it comes with a little risk, but who are you to tell other people whether they should do it or not? I thought it was silly to use the terminal command to change back to opaque menu bars in 10.5.1, because I liked the translucency, but I respected their decisions to change their own computer to fit their own wants and needs.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
Just an update guys... my SSH still wasn't working and I fought with it all day to get it to work... well... as luck would have it... Apple released a version 1.1 of their Security Update and after installing that and restarting, my SSH is working normally again... so it WAS an update that caused the problem and they released another update that fixed the problem that the first update caused... so chill out... it wasn't the menus that broke it... it was a coincidence!

I applaud Stratus Fear and I sincerely thank him for all the work he's put into this *find* for free. I believe him when he says he took his time and figured out exactly what files those were and what they were affecting before he just went and started replacing files... geeze. Anyways... my computer is running normally again and I don't notice any other side affects. Way to go Stratus Fear, you are still awesome!

How come thousands of other people continued to use ssh through both updates without problems?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
How come thousands of other people continued to use ssh through both updates without problems?

You gotta understand... not everyone has the same exact hardware and software configuration. There are a ton of factors when people are running different setups. I don't really know how the problem started but, I do know that the v1.1 Security Update fixed it for sure.... and it wasn't just the restart that fixed it because I have tried restarting many times.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
You gotta understand... not everyone has the same exact hardware and software configuration. There are a ton of factors when people are running different setups.

I understand that perfectly. That's exactly why I'm pointing out the risks in a change like this.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I understand that perfectly. That's exactly why I'm pointing out the risks in a change like this.

We know the risks... you were asking why everyone else updated and SSH still works fine.

#1: How many people use SSH or even know that it exists? How would someone know if something they don't use it broken or not?

#2: Out of the people who USE SSH, how many updated without problems?

#3: I already explained that this mod did not screw up my SSH, it was a Security update (as Stratus Fear pointed out, many others had similar issues with SSH after the 1.0 Security Update.)

#4: I win.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
#4: I win.

And there lies the problem. I'm not trying to "win" or convince anyone of anything. I'm just trying to point out that there are inherent risks in rolling back miscellaneous system files to prior versions. It's your machine, you can do anything you want with it. I could care less about any problems you may have with your Mac after you've done so, so don't complain. :p But you can use your mac as a boat anchor, or even run windows on it (shudder) for all I care, you've paid for it. So yeah, you win, I win, we all win.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008

I don't know. How come thousands of people continued to use wireless in Leopard without any problems? :D

But if you are just trying to warn of the dangers, Stratus Fear has already taken care of that. We all know. You don't need to try to watch out for us all. Most of us are big boys and the decision whether or not to take the risk is ours, and if you won't be the one we bother with any unintended consequences, why do you care?

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
Most of us are big boys and the decision whether or not to take the risk is ours, and if you won't be the one we bother with any unintended consequences, why do you care?

You are putting the cart before the horse. I won't "be bothered" by any problems you have BECAUSE I've tried to make it clear it's risky. Had I not posted and somebody done this and had issues, I'd feel bad that I hadn't spoken up.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
Pretty sweet threadjacking you've got here, saltyzoo. Hopefully you're pleased with yourself. Seems as though thats what you were trying to accomplish.

Not sure how discussing the topic of the thread is hijacking, but ok. Seems like I helped keep the thread bumped and visible to me. But whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.