10.5.2 - External Monitor issues

Discussion in 'macOS' started by a4abt, Feb 11, 2008.

1. a4abt macrumors regular

I updated my MBP to 10.5.2 this evening. Everything went fine, except when it restarted, my external monitor resolution was stuck at 1440x900. There is no way I can set it to 1920x1200 (for my 24" monitor). I called Apple, but they could not help me :(

I re-installed Leopard, same issue. I ended up re-installing Leopard and downloaded 10.5.1. I would like to have the newer updates, but don't want to run an external monitor at lower resolution (it looks very very ugly).

I wonder if anyone else had this issue, and if so, how they managed to resolved the issue.

Thanks for your help

2. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Did you install the graphics update, after 10.5.2?

3. TaylorB macrumors regular

I am having the exact same problem and its with a 2407WFP. Also, I did install the 2nd update too. I can't seem to find any solution. I can't even get into clamshell mode anymore.

4. eszee macrumors newbie

10.5.2 external monitor and clamshell mode

I'm also having problems with the external monitor and clamshell mode after applying 10.5.2 (both via sw update, and the full 343MB download), and the graphics update that appeared immediately after 10.5.2.

External monitor displays the MBP's built-in resolution (1440x900) if its connected at boot (it used to display the external monitor's native resolution of 1920x1200...). Also clamshell mode is completely broken with the MBP going immediately back to sleep if woken up via external kbd/mouse with the lid closed.

Mine's a Samsung 245BW.

One step forward, 2 steps back...

gak!

5. tedlindsey macrumors newbie

Same problem here.

I noticed that when the problem manifests, the values in the Displays menu show "generic values" instead of the proper names of the displays. If I reboot with the external display disconnected, then plug in the external display after I login, everything works normally.

Rebooting with the external display plugged in causes the problem to occur again.

[​IMG]

Hopefully, there will be another "Display Update" soon to fix this new issue.

6. a4abt thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your replies!

I guess I'll have to wait until Apple fixes that before upgrading again to 10.5.2

7. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

After 10.5.2 my PB G4 12" 1.5GHz goes to sleep every time I want to run it in closed-lid mode with an external display.
    Dual-display works without problems though (using it as I type).

8. r.morrow macrumors newbie

Definitely not an isolated issue-- I am also unable to wake my machine in lid-closed mode, but dual monitor mode seems to work just fine.

Running a 2.4 C2Duo MBP.

9. a4abt thread starter macrumors regular

I hope Apple will release a patch for that annoying issue

10. urbanor macrumors newbie

Running into the same issue here. After "upgrading" to 10.5.2 my MBP doesn't work in closed-lid mode with an external monitor - essentially the monitor goes to sleep and doesn't wake up.

I sure hope Apple is aware of this issue.

11. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

I have the same issue, and am on the line with Apple care now. Level one has no answer and is checking with the next level as far as how to proceed.

12. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

Update... There doesn't look like there is anything that Apple can do at this moment. They are aware of the issue, and I would expect a patch soon. Just connect the display after start up, and no clamshell for now I guess.

13. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

Amazingly I was able to successfully enter closed-lid mode after a privilege check, reboot with open lid and disconnected USB Apple keyboard.
    I then put the computer to sleep, closed the lid (not just simply closed, but sleep - close) and reattached the keyboard. External display was OK.

However, I've tried it only once, so YMMV (and to be honest, mine may too). Will investigate further.

14. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

just like pjarvi said per above, did you install the leopard graphics update after you updated to 10.5.2? Maybe that will fix it?

15. kcm macrumors newbie

Installing the Leopard Graphics Update caused this to happen in the first place, for me. It was just fine after the 10.5.2 update, before the LGU.

16. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

I'm not sure if it's going to help, but have you tried recalibrating your display? 'Cause after the update, I find that my display need recalibrating and after that my display looks better than before.

17. TaylorB macrumors regular

I never had to calibrate mine in the first place and it worked fine up until that update. Today I was able to trick it into clamshell mode when it was starting up. It takes work but at least my background is the one I had and not the one from a month ago.

18. a4abt thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your replies ed ... but I've tried everything (updates/auto-detect/calibration...)

19. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

yep, thank you very much for this info...

my external is a 37" hdtv

20. smoldin macrumors newbie

smoldin

External monitor issues

Same exact thing happened to me. After installing the 10.5.2 update and the Leopard graphics update, closed lid mode didn't work and i couldnt wake my external Apple monitor without opening the lid. Also, the resolution on the external monitor was off.

I called Apple and spend 2 hrs doing every kind of possible attempted fix. Nothing worked and the 2 techs i talked to (level 1) were at a loss. I followed the advice of a level 2 guy - i did an archive re-install of Leopard then re-installed every update except the last 2. Everything was perfect. Then i re-installed 10.5.2 with all peripherals disconnected and....PERFECT. I stopped here. I must assume that the Leopard graphics update is FUBAR.

One question - seems like a real basic issue. Why must Apple use all of us as unpaid beta testors??

21. a4abt thread starter macrumors regular

I also feel that 10.5.2 was not quite ready to be released...but my brother's MacBook is working great with 10.5.2 :confused:

I now depend on Apple to fix this issue before installing the new update

22. Freyqq macrumors 68040

LG L246WP here - 24" monitor at 1900x1200

no issue here.

23. xpla macrumors regular

Hi there,

i experienced the same issues but disconnecting all USB devices before startup helped. I powered my MacBookPro on and instantly after power-on i closed the lcd. No proplem then.

24. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Working fine here - 20" ACD on closed MBP, BT mouse/keyboard. Been through many sleep/wake cycles today. But, I haven't tried sleep, disconnect, wake on internal, then the reverse (my normal take-it-with and come home routine).

25. gotzero macrumors 68040

So glad this is not just me. Mine has been all jacked up using my 1920x1200 external in clamshell. Same problems as described above. Hopefully this will get dealt with right away. I thought I was sitting pretty after updating the mini, so I did the laptop soon after.

I am afraid to even plug in my external now...