Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
They fixed the Mac Mini G4 video flip!

I have a G4 with a 24" display, and when restoring an application from the dock, it would flip the screen upside down and then return to normal.

But it doesn't do that anymore!

It still can't handle going into time machine though. They have GOT to give us an option to turn off that stupid background image since that appears to be the problem. If I drop my resolution to 1024x768 from 1920x1200, this problem goes away, so it's just a video resources issue. If we could kill that background image, I'm confident that TM would work perfectly.

But I never go into TM, so it's not urgent. The video flip SUCKED, so this is an awesome update so far. Go Apple!

(Now if only they would hire me and truly make my year)

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Wow. Went to sleep when there was a 100-post thread re 9D34. Woke up to this. Now I know how Rip van Winkle (sp?) must have felt!

Downloading combo update - it's going to send me over my 3GB for the month (that's right ... NZ ftw) but 'dialup speed' for a week is a small price to pay when I've been waiting for this for more than a month. Good times ahead :).

prady16

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Right There --->
I recently noticed a bug with iPhoto where if you change the Roll Name in the Finder, then the slideshows and photo books with the pictures from that roll do not appear.

Can anyone verify if this has been fixed in this update?

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Currently updating the iMac, its taking AGES to download! The estimated time is going UP!

I guess its because everyone is downloading it... Was faster on my MacBook, though.

aquarajustin

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
Woohoo! Mail.app 3.3 my Gmail IMAP read/unread synchronization issues! Keep up the good work Apple.

Edit: Scratch that! If I read messages via the Gmail web interface, Mail.app still doesn't properly mark messages as read unless I restart it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I recently noticed a bug with iPhoto where if you change the Roll Name in the Finder, then the slideshows and photo books with the pictures from that roll do not appear.

Can anyone verify if this has been fixed in this update?

That's not a "bug". It's a user error.

What you've done is messed with iPhoto's data without going through the iPhoto interface. Apple tries to make this hard by setting the default to keep all your "stuff" inside a library. When you do otherwise there is the risk that you might mess things up a you have found out

Think about this "bug" from iPhoto's point of view. It has an internal database that says "Photo A is in Folder B and then you rename "folder B". There is nothing iPhoto can do. It's stuck. You think you simply re-named a folder but "re-name" is really "move". It is logically the same as it you had copied the data and then deleted the origanal. How is iPhot to figure what you've done?

lukec

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
Hang on Startup

Hi, I wanted to post my experience and hopefully save someone a reinstall. After installing 10.5.3 my computer did a couple reboots and then hung forever (15 minutes) on the grey spinny startup screen (very technical, I know).

-I rebooted in verbose mode and saw that directory services was crashing repeatedly and startup would not complete.
-I booted into single user mode and removed (deleted/renamed) this folder:
/Library/Preferences/DirectoryServices
-I rebooted after making this change and all was well.

NOTE: this will delete any configuration you make in directory utility.

Hope this helps someone.

Luke

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Keyboard backlight is fixed on MBP

10.5.2 caused my backlight keyboard to stay on, until I disabled the feature. 10.5.3 turned the feature back on, and it works now.

Caches are still stored in the wrong place, and the old caches (10.5.1 and earlier) are still orphaned.

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
Anyone else having issues with VM ware fusion or Parallels.. could be a deal breaker for me.. i need to be able to run zbrush 3

billyripkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Chicago
Am I the only one that feels like everything is SLOWER? I synced my iPhone and it took forever, Safari took over a minute just to start up and even typing feels slower. This is all on my iMac.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
HP LaserJet 3015

I wish they'd had a scanning driver for my HP LaserJet 3015.

I just wasted around two hours with HP's software, nothing works. Not to mention that the installer looked like a Microsoft-style takeover of my system (wrote over 400 files, closed all my programs without asking, forced a reboot, etc).

And after all that, it didn't even work. All I want is a scanning driver, not a full-blown "scanning environment". Scan the document into a file, I'll take care of the rest! :rolleyes:

mountainman

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
North of Denver, Colorado
I run a bootcamp partition of Windows XP SP3 using VMWare Fusion 1.1.

After the 10.5.3 update, Windows running in Fusion no longer accepts any keyboard input. I can't even log into Windows now. Either the Mac beeps at me (as if I were trying to click outside a modal dialog) or it just ignores key presses altogether when I try to type in my login password in Windows.

I may have to install Fusion 2 beta or reinstall my copy of Parallels 3 and try that.

I have a running VMWare Fusion 1.1.2 instance usning Windows XP SP3 and have had no issues with keyboard input or anything else in Fusion. All of the Fusion drivers still appear to work correctly.

///mdriver

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2003
USA
Is anyone else experiencing errors? I cannot install on my 10.5.2 Mac Pro through software updater. I'm downloading the combo install to attempt.

Scott L

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2006

Now, does this fix my M-Audio driver problem and my not being able to split Logic windows across Spaces?

Fingers crossed...

Derwood

Derwood (or anyone else who has installed 10.5.3)--

How is Logic running on your updated machine? Which version of Logic are you using?

powz

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Sorry if this has been asked -- scanned the first and last few pages and couldn't find any reference to it...

Can anyone confirm whether AEBS + Time Machine still works with this patch?

MrFrankly

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Anyone else having the problem that Time Machine in combination with Time capsule is in preparing to backup-mode for hours before it starts copying files? - if it ever starts.

PhilipOrr

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2007
Northern Ireland
Just as I though from my previous post, and as Deric Horn hinted at.

iPhone Beta version 6 has been posted on the Developer website, and YES you do need 10.5.3. in order to run it.

sconnor99

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2005
Do the people reporting it's slower know that Spotlight re-indexes the drive after the install? Because my 8 core is certainly not slower!

summerflower

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
No Google synchronization for me

It is so weird.

Attachments

• temp-1.jpg
    temp-1.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 100

Spike Lightfoot

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Sorry if this has been asked -- scanned the first and last few pages and couldn't find any reference to it...

Can anyone confirm whether AEBS + Time Machine still works with this patch?

It works. I'm doing a backup now. The first one after the 10.5.3 upgrade is a doozy, but it works without a hitch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.