10.5.5 update does not fix diablo 2 problem

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by iceandfire, Sep 15, 2008.

1. iceandfire macrumors newbie

I just updated to 10.5.5 but diablo 2 crashes as usual. :(

Sad to see 256 color problem remains.

Pray for Blizzard!

2. erifneerg macrumors member

3. Ludde macrumors regular

Works just fine with Diablo 2 for me...with the expansion on a late 2006 MacBook:)
    I was wondering why the fix from Blizzard never came...I guess we have the answer now since it's fixed.

4. imassents macrumors 6502

It was not Blizzard's responsibility to fix Apple's mistake. I guess Blizzard made the fix for Starcraft for their fanbase who have been waiting patiently since the beginning of the year with nothing but disappointment from Apple's updates.

I'm pretty certain that it will not take Blizzard long to find out that the update still does not address intel GMA X3100 users.

If anyone wants to play Diablo on an intel X3100 on 10.5.5 (I have not tested it yet and cannot see why it wouldn't work), use this fix
    http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=support&t=549029&tmp=1#post549029

Please let me know if it's hard to follow as I can post pictures of the process (actually I may revise it).

5. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

It doesn't work on my MacBook (late November 2007, Santa Rosa). I still get the inverted colours and graphics squashed to the left side.

What kind of Mac are you using?

6. Yoda3984 macrumors member

Yoda3984

I have a late 2007 MacBook, and Starcraft finally started working for me last night after updating to 10.5.5. I had assumed that same thing was what broke Diablo 2, but since I don't have that game I cant test it.

That was frustrating to no end for me, because I unwittingly bought Starcraft two days after the 10.5.3 update that broke it.

Edit: After looking into it a little more, Starcraft may be working because of the 1.15.3 update which lets Macs without 256-color mode play the game.

7. erifneerg macrumors member

ah, yea MacBook Pro 2007. they seem to have updated the nvidia drivers

8. imassents macrumors 6502

I have managed to get Diablo II to run in software mode on an intel Macbook. Only downside is now no OpenGL programs run. Still working on it.

(Although it doesn't look promising)

9. recoman3 macrumors member

man, my whole system crashes from what looks like overheating once I start killing the zombies in the graveyard.. I wonder if I should run it with thousands of colours?

10. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

How'd you manage this? I (and others) would really love to know! :D

11. NightmareSiN macrumors newbie

Seconded, the fix posted earlier in this thread no longer applies because 10.5.5 no longer lets you do that.

12. rbarris macrumors 6502

We have a D2 patch in process that can work as SC 1.15.3 now does (whether drivers have 256 color mode or not), but I don't have an ETA for it.

To confirm, this should still only be an issue for Diablo II on X3100 video. Correct?

13. NightmareSiN macrumors newbie

Yeah, apple fixed the nvidia drivers, but not the GMA X3100 drivers.

14. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

That's my understanding, based on my experience (brand new Macbook (8/12/08 purchase) w/X3100 video onboard) and others I've read here. Thanks for keeping track here, it's much appreciated! Really would be great to play on my Macbook so I can ditch my old XP machine...it's the only reason it exists! :p

15. Cmaser macrumors newbie

I found that with updating to 10.5.5 Diablo 2 works just fine. I've had the program installed since it before 10.5.4 though, not sure that it has anything to do with it.

16. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

That's because you have a MacBook Pro. This issue only applies to MacBooks because they have the Intel X3100 graphics chip.

17. imassents macrumors 6502

Just to show I'm not full of it, all I did was revert to the intel GMA X3100 drivers from the 10.5.2 graphics update, and then removed/tried older versions of the OpenGL.framework from the frameworks folder.

Doing this lets Diablo run (software mode only), however nothing else 3D does. Because of this I will not post steps to do it (the above should be enough for anyone who knows what they are doing to fiddle more).

Quartz was updated in 10.5.5 and it is a core component of OS X. It relies on OpenGL to function and does not like older versions. I tried lots of different combinations of components, however I could not get anything stable (things like SpotLight/Safari/Preview etc would unexpectedly quit).

If anyone is desperate, look at doing an archive and install of OS X up to 10.5.4.

18. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

*sigh* I was really hoping there was a way that didn't involve "hacking" the system...I had enough of that in my Windows days (one of the reasons I have a Mac now).

Until Blizzard releases the patch (at least they *are* working on one) I'll keep my XP box for Diablo II (as much as it frustrates me).

19. Illidor macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. Running on Macbook. 10.5.5 mac os x
    Diablo was working fine till I had auto updates on, and i updated and now its not working again! "Unexpectedly quit" WHY!! WHY!!!!!

Please help!
    Or are we waiting on a patch?
    Thanks

20. kheldar77 Guest

Correct.
    I sent a mail with the crash details to your support.

21. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

So leopard will run Diablo 2 now on my first gen Macbook Pro and iMac?

D2 was one of the reasons I didn't upgrade to leopard - I'm still running Tiger.

Just want clarification that it'll run in leopard now.

22. NightmareSiN macrumors newbie

If you don't have an Intel GMA X3100 video card, then yes it will work.

23. Jedidiah2008 macrumors newbie

256-color support removed from Leopard.

Hi

I found that there isen't support for 256-colors as of OS X 10.5.3 so I'm about to downgrade my OS to 10.5.2.
    Currently I'm running 10.5.5 but the game keeps crashing upon start up.

I've also come across a way to hack the intel graficcard drivers but I won't attempt this.

24. sundance17 macrumors newbie

dont know how

So i dont want to make anyone mad, but im playing diablo 2 on my black macbook. im not sure how i am successful. i am currently on 10.5.4 and i did the native installer and the LOD patch. i really dont know much about macs yet , or why i am able to play on my macbook.

25. rbarris macrumors 6502

As of 10.5.5 the only impacted chipsets are the Intel graphics adapters (X3100, and possibly the 950). The new MacBook has the 9400M which is a derivative of the 8600/8800 NVIDIA designs - the 10.5.5 driver for those has restored 256 color support.

We have a Diablo II patch in testing which can resolve this issue on the Intel chipsets, but I do not have an ETA for the release.