10.8 Snow Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Downloadmonster, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Downloadmonster macrumors newbie

Now that lion is out, how long till we see a snow/mountain/____ Lion?
    I'm using lion right now, and, while I like it, it seems slower than snow leopard. Am i the only one?? Waiting to see your responses :)

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

3. Downloadmonster thread starter macrumors newbie

The os is fine, its just the speed... As in, boot up time is definitely slower on my MBP (late 2010)... This might be off topic, but will there be any way to get airdrop to work with win7:confused: There are a few pc's in the house and it would be easier if airdrop would work with pc

4. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

There has been tests saying the Snow Leopard was faster than the actual Lion, but nothing that makes it stand out though ;)

5. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

AirDrop is essentially simplified file sharing. You can share files between windows PCs and Macs, you just can't utilize the 1-clickness of AirDrop (for now anyway). I doubt that'll ever change.

6. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Around 2 years.

It runs fine.

7. Downloadmonster thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a comparison between the bootup of snow leopard and lion, and theres like a 10-15 second difference between the 2, SL being faster. I read up on some sites that, benchmark wise, SL is faster, but it seems that the benchmarks just dont seem to like Lion very much. Would bootcamp slow down the boot time?

8. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

I noticed a speedhit when I did a direct upgrade from Snow Leopard -> Lion...but after a clean install of Lion things were much faster.

9. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Not noticing any real speed difference between SL & Lion. It's a bit more RAM-hungry, though - if you have less than 4gb RAM, it's probably worth an upgrade.

10. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Never. Snow Lions are mythical creatures originating from Tibet's celestial creatures' mythology.

Apple has used real feline names for the last 10 years.

11. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

lion is way slower then snow leopard for me. it freezes all the time if I press the launch pad button it takes about 10 seconds to come up. I wish I would have waited to upgrade. I am on a 27" iMac

12. _Matt macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

This.

13. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Wouldn't Mountain Lion make more sense? Idk.

I do hope for a ___ Lion one day though. Actually, I hope Apple releases enough fixes for Lion that it becomes good again. My new Air is slow, buggy, weird...

14. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Considering Lion is running smoothly on my "Early 2009" 24" iMac, you may have other issues. The only noticeable performance issue with Lion that I've noticed is that it takes slightly longer to wake from sleep, something I notice on both my iMac and "Early 2011" 13" MBA.

15. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

Lion is blazing fast for me in terms of Safari/Web browsing, opening Apps, etc etc

Where you can see it a tad slower is in the boot up alright. I would imagine this is because of resume? The system is setting up where you left off the last time.

I did a clean install as well.

16. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Yes yes it would, and I agree it would be nice to have a prefix-lion version to apply the same treatment as L-SL, except I'd hope a lot of that sort of thing gets cleared up in the point point updates!

But in general I'm suddenly liking mountain lion best for the next iteration :).

17. Stonefly macrumors regular

Stonefly

18. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Snow Leopard was 10.6.5 thats why it wasn't a new cat it was a Snow Leopard instead of a Leopard because it was a part of the Leopard release.

Next one will be a completely different cat.

Based on Apple's release schedule for Mac OSX....it should be in about 2-4 years before 10.8 comes out.

19. basher macrumors 6502

basher

20. gentlefury macrumors 68030

That makes no sense.

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I say they will move to Fish next ... The Guppy through to Shark :cool:

22. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

This version of OS X should have been called Clouded Leopard.

Lion would have better suited a release that included more social media integration, such as a default multi protocol client for accessing Facebook, Twitter, & etc with multitouch gestures used to switch between the different protocols and an efficient notification system.

23. kamuix macrumors regular

well rather than snow lion, we could have black lion, then yellow, red, blue, and green. and once all five are gathered, yeah you know :D

24. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well mountain lion makes more sense if it ends up being a release like snow leopard. but who knows what the future holds.

25. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Rainbow Lion?