Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Honestly, I really couldn't. You just sounded whiney since you repeated the same (supposedly sarcastic, now) sentiment in a reply comment a page later.

I guess MY comedic/sarcastic tone was lost on you then.. ;)

My god, when will someone come up with a Sarcasm Font (tm)?

BeK

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
That's why I ALWAYS use a Glass screen protector. Although not 100% failure proof, they can help absorb the impact if your screen comes in contact with the ground.

Stolenfire

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2014
Did you purchase your phone with your credit card? Check if it covers accidental maybe? Amex covers accidental for the first 60 days.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Never had AppleCare and my phones don't break.

There is always one in the crowd.. That's why I said the ones without ... Meaning some break, some don't.

Some people should not be allowed internet access...

Canzz

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2013
Im assuming the floor was not perfectly flat, there must be some pebbles or something, otherwise its really weird that it shattered in a candyshell case if theres no direct impact on the screen from that height. I have seen 2-3 drop tests of 6 and havent seen a shattered screen even with face down falls from a meter height. I know that mostly its luck but I have used many speck cases and currently with my iPhone5 and my phones experienced some massive falls while on my bike. TBH if my case is on, i dont worry a bit when i drop my phone..

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
That's why I ALWAYS use a Glass screen protector. Although not 100% failure proof, they can help absorb the impact if your screen comes in contact with the ground.

Do plastic screen protectors offer any protection against screen cracking?

My guess is that the glass screen protectors absorb energy and crack upon impact to save the screen itself from shattering, but I don't know how this would work with a plastic screen film.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
mine too, but it largely depends on how long the phone has been out. towards the end of a life cycle you'll start to see refurb serials. for sure, any iPhone 6 replaced today would be a new one.

Hmmmm maybe I should buy apple care

shabanggg

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Tough luck..you need to be more careful next time, how does your phone crash to the ground unless you dropped it lol...and NO its not the case's fault lol this guy looking for encouragement to blame the case company for his hands not holding the phone tight enough haha Classic! "pressure from the case cause my screen to shatter " will be your next news headline #unreal #isthisajoke

Last edited by a moderator:

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Sorry about your troubles, OP. These phones (both 6 and Plus) have larger screens and are heavier; therefore I think the screens are more prone to crack. I've dropped my 6 Plus in Apple leather case 3 times, once off bed onto rug, once from waist to rug, and once from lap onto concrete sidewalk while sitting outside a cafe and it has emerged unscathed. However, I don't like the sound it makes when it hits the ground, definitively more thunk to it than my 5s.
These are heavier devices with more surface area and thus more velocity in a drop/fall and greater impact with hard surface.

Last edited:

dazex

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
10 Days in and already shattered iPhone 6 Screen

If you bought it with a credit card. Most of them will automatically insure your purchase for about 90 days.

Just do that and get your phone replaced or repair reimbursed that way.

I recently got my iPhone 5 replacement reimbursed. $299 from Apple. Because apple don't repair iPhone 5 camera. A replacement is Apple's coarse of action. MasterCard reimbursed me the full amount.

Your situation should be even easier. That's the route you should automatically have taken.

DreLamar

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
I also will be going to the Apple Store this Thursday cracked the top part of my screen near the camera this past Monday I hope it's $109 apple customer service told me $129 and they might have to keep my phone hope not I would like temp phone if so

DreLamar

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Apple replaced my cracked screen on my iPhone 6 with a new phone but he said I can't buy apple care since I have had my original phone replaced. Is that true?

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Apple replaced my cracked screen on my iPhone 6 with a new phone but he said I can't buy apple care since I have had my original phone replaced. Is that true?

Yes.You didnt have Apple care plus on your original purchase so you can't add it to a replacement device. You have to add it within 30 days of purchase.

rawlus

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Boston
I use squaretrade, it's relatively cheap insurance and I don't need to spend a whole lot on cases and screen covers. Cases I get, but to me screen covers impact the user experience unacceptably.

Never had to file a claim but if I did that's why I have the coverage.

It's a precision electronic instrument and glass is a primary material. If you drop a DSLR on the pavement do you expect it to still work?

I think the misperceptions of reality come from a spoiled younger generation who have never had to really earn for these very expensive devices or deal with loss due to carelessness. Whenever something bad happens it's become instinct to look for a 3rd party to blame rather than look in the mirror and say "I did this through my own carelessness and I've got to own that and be more careful in the future or plan for better protection, or whatever"

DreLamar

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Yes.You didnt have Apple care plus on your original purchase so you can't add it to a replacement device. You have to add it within 30 days of purchase.

Not true I spoke to Apple customer service recently & I can add apple care to my new iPhone 6.

tekkt0r

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Not true I spoke to Apple customer service recently & I can add apple care to my new iPhone 6.

yup, you're correct. i broke the display on my iPhone 5 a year ago, brought it to apple, bought a refurb and then put applecare on it.

BUT you still have to purchase applecare within 30 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.