10% of Consumers 'Very Likely' to Buy a Smartwatch in 2015, Suggesting 24M Apple Watches

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Lepton macrumors 6502a

Lepton

I predict an enormous market in third party watchbands, like the phone case market. The only reason you don't see rumors about this now is no one has a unit yet to be able to make a compatible band.

So one might consider getting the cheapest watchband, in anticipation of getting nicer, more unique, or cheaper replacement bands later.

2. frankandmary macrumors newbie

apple watch purchase

Too bad Canada was not surveyed.

We, my wife and I, intended to each purchase an Apple Watch.
    Regards

3. teslo macrumors 6502a

teslo

i used to think like this until i really thought about what a smart-home would be like. sure, pulling a phone you have to unlock and open does the trick (assuming there's no toddler or grocery bag in your other arm), but the convenience of a watch for all the (inevitable) 'things' in your house..? makes more than good sense to me.

and yeah, i think it's pretty aesthetically 'off' imo too. waiting to see how it evolves.

4. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Yep, look who was interested in the iPod or the iPhone and were going to buy those. Folks often predict their interest in new technology devices accurately.

I have no idea if the smartwatch is going to sell, but if it sells in its first year in the 10s of millions that will be a stunning success.

5. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Theres a German version? Mein Fhurer will be most pleased.

6. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

7. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I might just have to wait and see for myself. But I will be interested in the type of apps that can be created for use with the iWatch

8. businezguy macrumors 6502

He doesn't mean he's going to use an app to find love. He's going to buy a watch for his wife/girlfriend, and expects to get laid. Seems like a good plan to me.

9. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

"People wont buy an iPad, it's just a bigger iPod Touch with half of netbook's features at twice the price!".

Guess I'm with that 10%.

10. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

So would anyone. What do you actually mean?

This survey was done in the general population, so this is 27% of 8 billion people (the WORLD) = about 2 billion people.

What you said doesn't make sense.

11. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

12. bushido Suspended

bushido

I wouldnt wear one either but i hate stuff on my wrist in general. One time i went to a all inclusive hotel and had to wear a plastic band for a week it drove me insane

13. JeffyTheQuik, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014

JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I just used the values shown and estimated that it was a survey of a population of 2 billion people, not the entire world:

China: 1.4B *edited
    US: 0.3B
    Europe (IT/UK): 0.3B *edit

I did not extrapolate that to the whole world, as India (1B), Japan, Africa, South America, and Aus were left off. (edit added)

14. flottenheimer macrumors 65816

flottenheimer

15. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

Yes -- but a niche product with high profit margins. I'll bet that Apple will make more off of fewer watches than any other competing company.

16. amirite macrumors 6502a

I imagine they'll make the most money from the edition line. At least with the first generation. There are many more people willing to casually spend several thousand dollars on a watch than most of you think. Hell, a lot of them might buy more than one.

17. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Glad no one here is planning to buy one. Will make more room in the stores for those of us who are interested. :D

18. nazaar macrumors 6502a

nazaar

I'm one of the 10%... guess I like throwing $ at Apple.

$4000 so far this year

19. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

I am still interested myself but on the fence if I jump right in with the first rev. $350 doesn't break the bank but it is still quite some money.

20. AirThis macrumors 6502a

The problem with the Apple watch is that it's redundant, rather expensive, and has extremely poor battery life. Furthermore, it's thick, and a 1st gen product. So, essentially, it's not very attractive to me. In contrast, when I saw a demo of the first iPhone, I was thinking "wow, this is the device I've wanted all my life. I want one... Now!". The Apple watch is just meh in my book... I'm not sure if 10% of buyers will adopt Apple's vision of the smart watch. Other companies might nail this market segment before Apple. Time will tell...

21. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

Looks like about 9/10's of the people here are part of that 90%... Not good for the Apple Watch.

I kid, I kid.

Actually I'm sure as heck getting one and think interest in smartwatches will uptick after the first round of buyers get to show off their watches to friends and family. I say at least 30m first year.

22. darkslide29 macrumors 65816

So many people claiming to be part of that 90%..
    Well, I am part of that 10% :cool:

23. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I know some people believe that crap. Both original iPhone and original iPad were great at the time. If you keep waiting, you may as well just keep waiting your entire life since there is always something new and better one on the horizont.

The rule is to enjoy the present and not just wait for the future ;)

24. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Well... 10% are very likely, and a good 50% are in the unlikely camp. I'm not sure if I'm a fanboy, but I think this is a good first attempt at the smartwatch. I've looked at others, and this one looks pretty good to me.

I went from "meh" to "pretty interested" to "looking forward to it".