Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeds500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
1 Screen size

If you're upgrading from the 6/6S/7, then the screen size of the X will simply be stretched. If however you're upgrading from a Plus model, your screen will be narrower, albeit longer. This to me is a deal breaker. I am a Plus owner, I don't want to be watching media on a narrower but stretched screen.

2 The notch.

Have you ever had dinner with someone and as they're talking to you you lose focus of what they're saying because you noticed they have sauce or food stuck to the side of their lip? Well the notch is not too dissimilar. My eyes are drawn to it. If it bothers me, it will bother you. To those who say it won't bother you, you haven't got the device yet.

3 It is not edge to edge display

I still see bezels. They may be thinner, but they're still there. Rumours early on suggested the X would be like a slate of glass. Sorry, but it's not. Far from it. There are bezels there. Throw in the notch, throw in the black borders that the software will put in, throw in the narrower screen size to the Plus, and you're not really watching content on this magnifificent edge to edge giant screen, are you? You will be disappointed.

4 No home button

For 10 years you have used the home button. Up until the 5, it was a push and then a slide across. From the 5s, it was simply a push. Worked beautifully. I myself never registered all of my fingers for touch ID, I never registered my two little fingers, so if I just wanted to see the time or a notification without opening the phone, I'd use my little finger. That will be no more with the X. Now you got to get used to making sure the phone sees you, wait a little bit, then swipe up. Don't underestimate how this will force you to change your habits, when you''re driving, when you're in a meeting, when you're half asleep or in any situation when you shouldn't be looking at your phone. You will not be able to discreetly unlock your X. Think about it, for 10 years you touched a button, now you got to look at it, wait a couple of seconds, and swipe up. I'm sure there will be many other instances which will play out when you use the device.

5 Face ID

Following on from point 4, Face ID was not Apple's preference. It is simply the technology Apple had to fall back on when they realised that their preference would not be workable in time for the launch. They wanted touch ID under the screen. This in itself is an admission from Apple that touching your phone is still the best and securest method to unlock your phone, though Apple will never publicly admit it, except of course when screen touch id is available in a future phone and they will spend half the keynote talking about how it pisses all over Face ID. Apple wanted screen touch id, we all wanted screen touch id , but not to be. Instead, you will be getting a product which Apple added as a compromise. Basically, if Apple could have got screen touch ID to work, it would have been in the X. Samsung couldn't get touch screen ID to work, so it put the touch ID button at the back. Apple couldn't get screen touch id to work, so it went with Face id. What's the difference, they are both inferior compromises? The 8 Plus will still have the trusty home button with touch ID that you have all grown to love.

6 Two handed use

When the 6 Plus was released 3 years ago, this place was in meltdown about the iPhone no longer being a one handed device. Well the X will take it to another level. The screen is now longer, yes shorter bezels at the top and bottom, but unbelievably, the X won't come with reachability. Expect to see that back in a future software update or device once Apple realises that they screwed up in getting rid of reachability. But, and this is a huge but, you have to swipe down right of the notch for control centre and left of the notch for notifications. Good luck with your one handed use X owners.

7 Specs

There is alot of similarities between the 8 Plus and the X. Both will have similar cameras, the same glass back, wireless charging, same storage capacity, same water resistant rating, both will have 3 gigs of ram, both will have the same A11 chip and both will have augmented reality. To me, the only benefit you're gonna get with the X over the 8 Plus is a little bit more with the camera and Animojis. But the 8 Plus camera will be a beast and I'm tipping after 2 weeks, if not 2 days, X users will over the animojis. But you see, the 8 Plus will have its own advantages, a wider screen and touch id. Honestly, is the X that much of a superior device?

8 Colours

Not a biggy, but the gold colour the 8s will come in is probably the sleekest colour I have seen on an iphone. It looks magnificent. For those who still see the iphone as a fashion accessory, which I personally don't, you won't get the X in that colour.

9 Price.

The X will be the most expensive iphone in history. If you live in Australia like me, you'll be forking out $1,800 for the 256g model. That is not only insane, it is a rip off. If you want to fork out that much for a phone with a narrower screen than a Plus, a notch which will block your content, a device you cannot use with one hand, no trusted touch id home button and Face Id which was Apple's second choice because it was not good enough to make screen id work, then be my guest, you've got more dollars than sense.

10 First Gen

It is a first gen device. Buyer beware. Beware beware beware. I'm sure in years to come the notch will go, reachability will be back, the bezels will be thinner, the width of the screen will be equal to the Plus and touch id will be back bigger and better than ever, under the screen.. and then I will get myself an X...but until then, beware the X.

You have been warned.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
You can dream up all the excuses in the world to console yourself that you are not getting an iPhone X, but deep down you know the iPhone X is the best smartphone Apple has ever made. Any lesser model you choose is inferior - end of story.

next time Apple really should ask you to have a part in the Keynote. You would be a good marketing person and/or the ideal Apple customer

Mudodonbond

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2015
USA
Well some of these are valid the others I couldn’t care less.
1) I don’t care
2) don’t assume that it bothers everyone because it bothers you. You aren’t special.
3) well duh. They were rumors. And the screen is still fine.
4) I don’t care. I’m pretty sure lifting or tapping the phone and looking at it and swiping up is fine.
5) Oh well. FaceID works. And pretty sure it’s part of their future phones.
6) I’ve been using my plus with two hands, most of the time. Other times one handed And I don’t use reachability
7) yea. It has OLED xD
8) oh well. Gotta stick to the OG Colors
9) reachability wasn’t really that good on plus models. So I didn’t bother. Plus I have big hands. And the notch won’t block out content. I mean if I want to watch a video I don’t have to use full screen. I can have my black bars. And the money thing isn’t an issue. I’m getting the 8 and X. And I’ll use X as my primary.
10) Everyone knows. I mean a lot of people buy first gen devices....Like AirPods. But everything gets outdated at some point.
Warning was eh

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
next time Apple really should ask you to have a part in the Keynote. You would be a good marketing person and/or the ideal Apple customer

I'm not the ideal customer. I have very high expectations and I am very difficult to please. It just happens that Apple exceeds my expectations at the moment, in all areas, and they delight me with both the attention to detail of the products, and the unrivalled customer service and care.

Reactions: Geert76

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
There isn't 1 of the 10 that is true for me. I'd like the screen to have a better ratio/be a bit wider but is that going to cause regret over getting the phone? Ah, no. So seriously none of those are a concern now, let alone something I'll have regret over later.

Reactions: PanAm-L1011

iScone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
1. Screen size

The Plus has a bigger screen but big ugly bezels and inferior quality. You'll have more screen real estate but will have to live with the fact that the quality of your screen is being beaten by another model.

2. The notch.

To those who say it will bother you, you haven't got the device yet. See how that works both ways? The notch is something we'll very quickly get used to. Find it intrusive? Double tap to watch video or photos as they were intended, which you should be doing anyway. Don't like the size? See point one.

3. It is not edge to edge display

People know what they're buying. There are, like, photos and videos of it. No it's not true edge to edge, but do you know what's worse? The iPhone Plus.

4. No home button

Again, until you've used it, your opinion isn't relevant. None of us know how convenient or not the new gesture system is. What we do know is that Apple are very careful not to introduce something without rigorous testing and feedback. Things move on. I'd hate to be the guy who doesn't embrace new tech.

5. Face ID

Huge amounts of speculation in this one. You haven't used Face ID. Nobody has, properly. Let's wait until we can see for ourselves, or at least some proper reviews. Touch ID was hardly the bastion of security you're making it out to be. I'd love to see it under the screen but I think I can live without it.

6. Two handed use

Reachability on the X is certainly an issue but I don't see how it's more so than the Plus. Even with reachability, the Plus is not a one handed phone for the majority of people. The X improves on the size enough to put more of the screen within reach of the thumb, width ways. That's good enough for me. I'll take the superior quality screen in lieu of reachability for now. I'm sure it'll be back and doesn't require a hardware update for that to happen.

7. Specs

There's no comparison in terms of quality of screen. The Plus is inferior in every way aside from size (which, with it's hideous bezels, is not a bonus). OIS on both cameras is actually not insignificant. And augmented reality will become a standard in many useful apps, something the Plus will never have. The draw of the Plus was the screen size and the camera. The draw of the X is screen quality and camera. It's the same argument you made that you're now rejecting.

8. Colours

A very minor point, as you said. I personally love the matte black and I'm disappointed to lose it but I'm not drawn to the gold at all. To each their own. We know the gold is coming to X at some point anyway.

9 Price.

The X is priced so highly because Apple know that people bought the Plus even though that was also (and still is) way too much. So thanks for that. Yes the X is overpriced, particularly in Australia (where I live as well), although it costs even more in the UK. Buying outright is not your only option. Nor is buying at all. It doesn't reflect on the quality of the phone either way.

10. First Gen

Oh, come on. You can say that next year's model will be better than any phone at any time. Guess what'll be better than the Plus you own right now? The 8 Plus. Does that mean your phone is bad? Of course not. And the X isn't a first gen phone. It's the first of a new iteration, built on the foundation that's been developed over 10 years. Your point is just scaremongering.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
1 Screen size

If you're upgrading from the 6/6S/7, then the screen size of the X will simply be stretched. If however you're upgrading from a Plus model, your screen will be narrower, albeit longer. This to me is a deal breaker. I am a Plus owner, I don't want to be watching media on a narrower but stretched screen.

2 The notch.

Have you ever had dinner with someone and as they're talking to you you lose focus of what they're saying because you noticed they have sauce or food stuck to the side of their lip? Well the notch is not too dissimilar. My eyes are drawn to it. If it bothers me, it will bother you. To those who say it won't bother you, you haven't got the device yet.

3 It is not edge to edge display

I still see bezels. They may be thinner, but they're still there. Rumours early on suggested the X would be like a slate of glass. Sorry, but it's not. Far from it. There are bezels there. Throw in the notch, throw in the black borders that the software will put in, throw in the narrower screen size to the Plus, and you're not really watching content on this magnifificent edge to edge giant screen, are you? You will be disappointed.

4 No home button

For 10 years you have used the home button. Up until the 5, it was a push and then a slide across. From the 5s, it was simply a push. Worked beautifully. I myself never registered all of my fingers for touch ID, I never registered my two little fingers, so if I just wanted to see the time or a notification without opening the phone, I'd use my little finger. That will be no more with the X. Now you got to get used to making sure the phone sees you, wait a little bit, then swipe up. Don't underestimate how this will force you to change your habits, when you''re driving, when you're in a meeting, when you're half asleep or in any situation when you shouldn't be looking at your phone. You will not be able to discreetly unlock your X. Think about it, for 10 years you touched a button, now you got to look at it, wait a couple of seconds, and swipe up. I'm sure there will be many other instances which will play out when you use the device.

5 Face ID

Following on from point 4, Face ID was not Apple's preference. It is simply the technology Apple had to fall back on when they realised that their preference would not be workable in time for the launch. They wanted touch ID under the screen. This in itself is an admission from Apple that touching your phone is still the best and securest method to unlock your phone, though Apple will never publicly admit it, except of course when screen touch id is available in a future phone and they will spend half the keynote talking about how it pisses all over Face ID. Apple wanted screen touch id, we all wanted screen touch id , but not to be. Instead, you will be getting a product which Apple added as a compromise. Basically, if Apple could have got screen touch ID to work, it would have been in the X. Samsung couldn't get touch screen ID to work, so it put the touch ID button at the back. Apple couldn't get screen touch id to work, so it went with Face id. What's the difference, they are both inferior compromises? The 8 Plus will still have the trusty home button with touch ID that you have all grown to love.

6 Two handed use

When the 6 Plus was released 3 years ago, this place was in meltdown about the iPhone no longer being a one handed device. Well the X will take it to another level. The screen is now longer, yes shorter bezels at the top and bottom, but unbelievably, the X won't come with reachability. Expect to see that back in a future software update or device once Apple realises that they screwed up in getting rid of reachability. But, and this is a huge but, you have to swipe down right of the notch for control centre and left of the notch for notifications. Good luck with your one handed use X owners.

7 Specs

There is alot of similarities between the 8 Plus and the X. Both will have similar cameras, the same glass back, wireless charging, same storage capacity, same water resistant rating, both will have 3 gigs of ram, both will have the same A11 chip and both will have augmented reality. To me, the only benefit you're gonna get with the X over the 8 Plus is a little bit more with the camera and Animojis. But the 8 Plus camera will be a beast and I'm tipping after 2 weeks, if not 2 days, X users will over the animojis. But you see, the 8 Plus will have its own advantages, a wider screen and touch id. Honestly, is the X that much of a superior device?

8 Colours

Not a biggy, but the gold colour the 8s will come in is probably the sleekest colour I have seen on an iphone. It looks magnificent. For those who still see the iphone as a fashion accessory, which I personally don't, you won't get the X in that colour.

9 Price.

The X will be the most expensive iphone in history. If you live in Australia like me, you'll be forking out $1,800 for the 256g model. That is not only insane, it is a rip off. If you want to fork out that much for a phone with a narrower screen than a Plus, a notch which will block your content, a device you cannot use with one hand, no trusted touch id home button and Face Id which was Apple's second choice because it was not good enough to make screen id work, then be my guest, you've got more dollars than sense.

10 First Gen

It is a first gen device. Buyer beware. Beware beware beware. I'm sure in years to come the notch will go, reachability will be back, the bezels will be thinner, the width of the screen will be equal to the Plus and touch id will be back bigger and better than ever, under the screen.. and then I will get myself an X...but until then, beware the X.

You have been warned.
Trying to get rid of the competition prior to preorders I see. ;)

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
1. Happy user of a plus model, can easily work a galaxy s8 so this will be no different.
2. I don’t stare at the status bar, when you watch videos it excludes the notch so you don’t see it unless you zoom the video to full screen
3. Thank god, don’t want my fingers covering the display like on the S8
4. Give it a couple of days of use and you will wonder what you were bitching about.
5. Given how complex face ID tech is and the effort to fit that into the device I’m guessing that this was always going to be their goal. They took an Xbox 360 Kinect and stuffed it in the top of the phone then wrote software and built hardware to power it. You think they did that **** in a couple of months after discovering that fingerprints wouldn’t work built into the display? For all some people think Apple are magic, they ain’t.
6. Better screen, better camera, smaller phone than the plus model but big screen.
7. Can use the plus without reachability, I forget it’s a feature until I accidentally invoke it, then I’m like “fkoff”
8. Normally in a case so irrelevant
9. I paid over £900 for my 7 plus 256gb so it’s not much more considering the new design, stainless steel again, I’m in.
10. First gen, will trade it and get 2nd gen, during that time I get to use the latest tech with all of the features whilst others languish with their incremental upgrade. There’s zero in the 8 to make you upgrade from any 7 device, especially if you have a plus.

Last edited:

Chronus

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
I’m loving all the comments that are saying the X’s screen is way better then a the 8 plus, despite it being lower ppi and nits than a Note 5 or Galaxy S6.

I’m sure the 57 extra ppi the X users are getting over the plus users are going to make night and day differences.

Wait until the reviews and comparisons are out. Side by side I bet you have to scrutinise any differences in screen between the 2, in fact the plus is far more viewable due to aspect ratio and how content fits on it.

Remember the iPhone 5 height extension well this is revision 2, but you can’t even say you have a quad HD screen to display it on!

Roll on the X-2, that will be truly the next gen Apple device.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
1- fits better in my pocket
2- Don't care
3- you are just nitpicking
4- Glad it's gone
5- You're just keep reciting false rumors, face ID is going to awesome, and is the future for all devices
6- trying to use with one hand is just silly.
7- regurgitating your personal preferences and non based facts
8- you can't get more stylish then stainless.
9- Don't care about the price, and you just keep repeating yourself.
10- this 1st gen talk is just silly, you try to suggest that it is totally unusable.

Yelly much :rolleyes:

thedropout

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2017
I'm not the ideal customer. I have very high expectations and I am very difficult to please. It just happens that Apple exceeds my expectations at the moment, in all areas, and they delight me with both the attention to detail of the products, and the unrivalled customer service and care.
Im going to go out on a limb here and say you have very low standards if the iphone x meets your definition of high expectations. Apple should of had oled years ago. Im not saying apple doesnt do well in os or customer service. But honestly every thing apple puts out should be oled. Instead apple actually puts time in their event to showcase a pile of crap mimicking you. The problem isnt apple, its the average consumer that continues to shell out money for phones with minor upgrades. Why fix the money machine if its not broken. If apple can put out a great facial recognition system then that will be a great stride forward, however everything else about the iphone x is just trying to catch up.

Deeds500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
You can dream up all the excuses in the world to console yourself that you are not getting an iPhone X, but deep down you know the iPhone X is the best smartphone Apple has ever made. Any lesser model you choose is inferior - end of story.

The X is flawed in more ways than one, and yet Apple is charging serious coin for it. Seriously stop assuming that every iteration of the iPhone is the best. The notch was simply a result of not figuring out a better method, as was Face ID. Narrower screen than the Plus. These three things are deal breakers. If the notch wasn't there, if the screen was as wide as a Plus and if the X had touch ID under the screen, I'd get it. Mate you're gonna lose the equivalent of 1 year of your life waiting for Face ID to activate lol, it looks so damn slow, goid luck with that.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
the X notifications are accessable also from under the notch, not just the side.
The notch in portrait will actually look cool, but in landscape will only be annoying as it blocks content. People who say its a positive thing to have the notch in landscape are not reasonable and are lying. If it bothers you or annoys you is a secondary thing, but its not something anyone would chose.

Deeds500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
1. Happy user of a plus model, can easily work a galaxy s8 so this will be no different.
2. I don’t stare at the status bar, when you watch videos it excludes the notch so you don’t see it unless you zoom the video to full screen
3. Thank god, don’t want my fingers covering the display like on the S8
4. Give it a couple of days of use and you will wonder what you were bitching about.
5. Given how complex face ID tech is and the effort to fit that into the device I’m guessing that this was always going to be their goal. They took an Xbox 360 Kinect and stuffed it in the top of the phone then wrote software and built hardware to power it. You think they did that **** in a couple of months after discovering that fingerprints wouldn’t work built into the display? For all some people think Apple are magic, they ain’t.
6. Better screen, better camera, smaller phone than the plus model but big screen.
7. Can use the plus without reachability, I forget it’s a feature until I accidentally invoke it, then I’m like “fkoff”
8. Normally in a case so irrelevant
9. I paid over £900 for my 7 plus 256gb so it’s not much more considering the new design, stainless steel again, I’m in.
10. First gen, will trade it and get 2nd gen, during that time I get to use the latest tech with all of the features whilst others languish with their incremental upgrade. There’s zero in the 8 to make you upgrade from any 7 device, especially if you have a plus.

At point 3, you're gonna be touching the screen more than ever with an X. Better buy yourself a wholesale box of wipes.

Deeds500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
1. Screen size

The Plus has a bigger screen but big ugly bezels and inferior quality. You'll have more screen real estate but will have to live with the fact that the quality of your screen is being beaten by another model.

2. The notch.

To those who say it will bother you, you haven't got the device yet. See how that works both ways? The notch is something we'll very quickly get used to. Find it intrusive? Double tap to watch video or photos as they were intended, which you should be doing anyway. Don't like the size? See point one.

3. It is not edge to edge display

People know what they're buying. There are, like, photos and videos of it. No it's not true edge to edge, but do you know what's worse? The iPhone Plus.

4. No home button

Again, until you've used it, your opinion isn't relevant. None of us know how convenient or not the new gesture system is. What we do know is that Apple are very careful not to introduce something without rigorous testing and feedback. Things move on. I'd hate to be the guy who doesn't embrace new tech.

5. Face ID

Huge amounts of speculation in this one. You haven't used Face ID. Nobody has, properly. Let's wait until we can see for ourselves, or at least some proper reviews. Touch ID was hardly the bastion of security you're making it out to be. I'd love to see it under the screen but I think I can live without it.

6. Two handed use

Reachability on the X is certainly an issue but I don't see how it's more so than the Plus. Even with reachability, the Plus is not a one handed phone for the majority of people. The X improves on the size enough to put more of the screen within reach of the thumb, width ways. That's good enough for me. I'll take the superior quality screen in lieu of reachability for now. I'm sure it'll be back and doesn't require a hardware update for that to happen.

7. Specs

There's no comparison in terms of quality of screen. The Plus is inferior in every way aside from size (which, with it's hideous bezels, is not a bonus). OIS on both cameras is actually not insignificant. And augmented reality will become a standard in many useful apps, something the Plus will never have. The draw of the Plus was the screen size and the camera. The draw of the X is screen quality and camera. It's the same argument you made that you're now rejecting.

8. Colours

A very minor point, as you said. I personally love the matte black and I'm disappointed to lose it but I'm not drawn to the gold at all. To each their own. We know the gold is coming to X at some point anyway.

9 Price.

The X is priced so highly because Apple know that people bought the Plus even though that was also (and still is) way too much. So thanks for that. Yes the X is overpriced, particularly in Australia (where I live as well), although it costs even more in the UK. Buying outright is not your only option. Nor is buying at all. It doesn't reflect on the quality of the phone either way.

10. First Gen

Oh, come on. You can say that next year's model will be better than any phone at any time. Guess what'll be better than the Plus you own right now? The 8 Plus. Does that mean your phone is bad? Of course not. And the X isn't a first gen phone. It's the first of a new iteration, built on the foundation that's been developed over 10 years. Your point is just scaremongering.

You say we will all get used to it, that's the thing, we shouldn't have to get used to it, or live with it or deal with it, the notch is a flaw. It's bad enough we have a camera lense which protrudes and no headphone jack, two flaws the iphone has had in recent times because Apple has dropped the ball. Now the X will have 5 flaws, protruding camera lense, no jack, notch, skinnier screen than the Plus and Face ID. Well done, you're gonna pay up to $1,800 AUD for a phone with 5 flaws, bad enough we have had 2 flaws since the 7, now you get 5. Like I said in my OP, you've been warned. That is all.

ges

macrumors member
May 20, 2016
While I am fully dedicated to my SE until it disintegrates, I am, from a distance, giving the X a chance.

The truth is there is no "iPhone behaviour" it's been changing as long as the iPhone's been around.

I don't think the benefits of going into the corners are huge, software-wise as it's hard to design content into rounded corners. The only benefit is in background imagery.

I personally think Apple should start supplementing the corner to corner display with "button" around the whole edge, i.e. Making the phone squeezable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.