iPad mini $100 more for Touch ID and gold option?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wildonrio, Oct 16, 2014.

1. wildonrio macrumors 6502

Is Touch ID really worth the $100 premium? I see no other changes. The mini 2 is going to outsell this thing.

2. nouspa macrumors member

I think mini 2 will disappear when stock runs out :apple:

I think they have so much mini 2 stock that this was best solution?

3. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

No, it's not worth it and nobody should get it out of spite of Apple completely ignoring their Mini userbase.

Yeah, sure, if I had a gen 1 Mini I'd probably vouch for the 3 due to Touch ID, but aside from that... there's not a chance I'd upgrade.

I was really lenient about wanting to upgrade this year. In fact, I would have even if they just barely upgraded the specs. I was hoping for a thinner form and lighter frame, but the fact they didn't even put it on the same chip as the Air tells me that they're not viewing the Mini in the same category, which differs from how last year seemed to work with the Mini.

This is tremendously insulting to all Mini users.

4. macmee Suspended

macmee

If there's no split screen I could care less about mild spec bumps and shaving off 0.00001mm of thickness.

It's a tablet. It's meant to be PRODUCTIVE. Good god.

If I'm at the store I might be still tempted to buy it.... but why they don't put meaningful new features in their products is beyond me.

5. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

not worth the upgrade, see no problem with my air

6. New Apple macrumors regular

for the first time in history we dislike gold ???
    GOLD!!!!!!!

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. There is no reason for iPad mini 2 users to upgrade. Very disappointing from the mini perspective.

8. randymac88 macrumors regular

The mini sucks balls. I'm not sure why anyone would want that thing and am not surprised apple didn't update it.

9. nouspa macrumors member

Mini 2 was best iPad :cool:

10. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

i wasn't going to upgrade my mini anyway....it was either no upgrade or going for a new air....the non existent update to the mini made that easier. besides I have a 6+ now the mini is not that much bigger....maybe ill wait for the 12" pro.

11. addictzz macrumors 6502

iPad Mini lover is saving their money by either keeping their current mini or getting the mini 2. Thanks Apple for that.

12. henrys macrumors regular

henrys

Its a £100 premium to upgrade from 2 to 3 in the UK

Gold is so nice and touch id coming iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 is amazing

Hard decision but will probably go for it :D

13. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

another happy rMini owner waiting for the NEXT upgrade. Kind of wantd touch-id, but not enough to upgrade yet.

14. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I had really had no intention of upgrading my rMini. But Apple literally only adding Touch ID, it only reaffirms my decision to stick with my rMini for another year (and I have yet to update it to iOS 8).

15. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I was really looking forward to the updated iPad mini. But it feels like a rip off now, it's last years mini with touch ID, but for £80 more. Ok it's the same price as the mini 2 was yesterday so you are getting more than you would yesterday. But I don't think that the mini 3 is worth £80 more than the mini 2.
    I think I might get the air even though that is not my preference.

16. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

17. cityhopper macrumors newbie

cityhopper

Sour Apple

I was not expecting an update to the MBA or the infamous 12" MBA, but I just knew the iPad/iPad mini update would be good. I was ready to sell or trade my rMini or the new model. Unfortunately, Touch iD is not enough to warrant the upgrade costs. I guess I'll be keeping my rMini and hope next year's update will at least include everything iPad Air 2 received this year.

18. matttye macrumors 601

You get more than you got for the same price last year, so it's a good deal if you don't already have a Mini and want one.

BUT... I don't think anyone will buy one over the 2 unless they have lots of spare cash.

19. wildonrio thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly. If you don't have a 2 already, then this year you might as well just buy the 2 instead of the 3. And, if you DO have the 2, it's not worth buying the 3. So in either case, you don't buy the 3.

20. deaglecat macrumors 6502

21. EldonChew macrumors regular

I don't think they fixed that with the Mini 3

22. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I always see it differnt, Apples 100 ladder is something I always climb to the top, but I'm a sucker for the its "only" $100 more.:D

23. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

Not for me. On my phone it's absolutely a great thing since I carry it around with me, and since I now have an iPhone 6+ it means secure payments via fingerprint in a few days with the ios 8.1 update. But on my iPad which stays home most of the time it's not something I feel is essential. I'll wait another year to see what the iPads are up to..provided we haven't all died of Ebola by then.

24. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

They should have stuck the A6x in last year's model. Then people would have been happy this year. :p

£80 for Touch ID? Nah.

25. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

The only thing the Mini 3 does is make the Mini 2 a much better deal. Usually I only suggest buying an older model over a current model if you're looking to save money and don't need the latest specs, but in this case, I can't think of any reason why it makes more sense to buy a Mini 3 over a Mini 2. I really like Touch ID, but it's not worth an extra $100.