$1000 verizon overage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rajpatel, May 18, 2014.

1. rajpatel macrumors regular

It was back in nov and dec. there was somebody illegally using my connection. It would show 3 connections on my cell phone. I reported it and the problem is fixed but they still didn't credit me anything. What shud I do

2. I7guy macrumors G5

So you had no password on your phone or ipad, and random people were turning on personal hotspot and using your data?

If that is the case there is probably not much you can do...maybe go to the police. And importantly put a password on your phone.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

And it never occurred to you to stop them? Or turn off your hotspot?

5. rajpatel thread starter macrumors regular

Of course I had a password on it, it happened anyway......we got it resolved by turning off tethering but these jerks still didn't credit anything despite numerous calls.....been a loyal customer for over a decade

----------

After it happened in nov, I called them and they had the nerve to tell me they can't turn off hotspot

Then after it happened again in December, I called them and screamed at them to turn off hotspot that very instant. And they did. Freakin jerks.

6. 617aircav Suspended

I hope they credit you even though it's not Verizon's fault at all.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

$1000 in data overages and you didn't notice anything? The hotspot doesn't turn on by itself and lets random people connect. Within feet away and with a password on and you never knew anything about it is not possible.
    Sounds to me like you or someone on your plan used up tons of data not thinking it would cost that much and now trying to blame it on your carrier and expect them to remove the charges for data that you consumed.
    And then you get mad at them for not removing the hotspot feature that is supposed to be there on your account by default. Again its their fault cause you or someone on your account cant control their usage?
    Wow, those freakin jerks at verizon:rolleyes:

8. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

You won't be credited for "sharing" your hotspot. It's your responsibility to control it. :cool:

9. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

10. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

All you can do is call and speak to different people at Verizon. If everyone you can says no, then you can switch carriers if you wish. But the $1000 fee will remain.

11. rajpatel thread starter macrumors regular

What is wrong with u people. I told u, somebody was piggybacking my account. My phone said 3 connections. I informed verizon. The jerks told me after the first month it happened that they can't turn off hotspot. Yes they said that. After the second time I demanded they turn it off. No issues since then. But no credit for that period either.y do u sit there and baselessly accuse me of using that much and then trying to shirk it? I already explained the situation. Verizon is just a bunch of cheapskates who delay and delay hoping it will go away. They have the tech to see what happened and they are just lazy, stealing jerks. I really don't know why u would turn this around on me as i was very clear as to the problem and verizon promised to look into it and resolve it and they never issued one dollar in credit. It's wrong , I have been a good customer for more than a decade with no issue,that shud count for something

12. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

It isn't Verizon's problem. They have no way of knowing if you're lying to them to try to get back $1000 of overages you racked up or if it is genuine theft. If they credited everyone who claimed someone was stealing their data, then everyone would do it. Unless you got a police report and failed to mention it in your post, I can't blame Verizon for not crediting your account.

13. I7guy macrumors G5

These things "just don't happen". There was a setup issue on your phone that the owner is responsible for. Personal hotspot generates random passwords that are not known unless given out and/or changed. Your story makes no sense as some important details are left out. In addition, your two posts in this thread look like they were written by two different people.

14. rajpatel thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, they do just happen. And all this stuff is highly computerized......Verizon knows exactly who is connecting on what account to where and for how long. Don't tell me it is some mysterious thing, it is not.

15. I7guy macrumors G5

You can say what you want, personal hotspot is not possible to "hack" in the traditional sense if the word.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not possible for someone to "piggybacking" off your accounts data without you turning on the hotspot and giving them access. Period.
    That is the reason they will not credit your account.
    It doesnt matter if you're a longtime customer or whatever. The data was used whether you like to admit or understand it.

17. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Why didn't you change your Hotspot password as soon as you saw more connections than the amount you were actually using? It says it right there on the bright blue shimmering banner; it's nearly impossible to miss.

I know if I saw extra connections on my Hotspot I'd change the password instantly.

18. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

rajpatel, don't beat yourself up over this. Could have happened to anyone here. Leaving your hotspot tethering on (settings >) is an easy mistake.

I left the microwave on way too long at work and burned the popcorn. Smelled (translate: 'smelt') like burned kernels for a week.

I took a bit of ribbing for that but, long story short, your extreme error in judgment shouldn't be punished by VERIZON now charging you and arm and a leg.
    VERIZON should have installed a kill switch buried somewhere without your iPhone that could be accessed and activated on their end as soon as you started to approach 1K in tethering services you didn't authorize nor condone.

(Perhaps a 10K race where participants wear a pink- symbolizing 'water damage' ribbon could be organized with the proceeds going toward paying off your phone tethering bill. I know your iPhone wasn't water damaged, but there's another member who likely left his iPhone in his jeans during a wash cycle- so this race could sponsor the both of you. Or, do you think the breast cancer people would sue us over that?).

Either way, just know you have supporters here and you're definitely in our thoughts.

19. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

What happens if the OP cancels his account with Verizon and doesn't pay the bill? Can they send collections after him? Would it hurt his credit?

I've been told certain bills can't hurt your credit, like hospital bills. Or is that all BS?

20. I7guy macrumors G5

Not paying your verizon bill will hurt your credit.

21. 869639 macrumors 6502

When you saw 3 connections it didn't occur to you to simply change the hotspot password? because you actually acknowledged the issue and seems didn't take action for soo long...When the device is in your hands and control, how can you hold Verizon responsible for having your hotspot feature not secured properly......For them its as simple as you trying to be a cheapskate on them and trying got get away with free data usage.....

I'm not trying to point fingers at you but this is just how it makes sense logically...and I do understand that everyone makes mistake in life, as for Verizon I think they should definitely give you some credit for the mistake, since you been a long time customer, Try speaking to a Supervisor and having the credit applied while on the phone rather than waiting for it to show up later and then confirming it within 24hours if you have online billing.

22. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Verizon isn't the one that has to turn off the hotspot.

That's YOUR job.

23. serega macrumors regular

Hotspot is off by defaul. As mentioned above only user can turn it on and share password.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

They do not care of you are a good customer. You better pay it or pay the ETF when they cancel your account.

25. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I don't believe a word this OP says on any topic.