Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macgnome

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2021
By the way running 11.2.1 Big Sur on M1

I'll tell you something I am generally seeing in system logs lots errors and warnings regarding libdispatch especially a lot of "DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch"

Also on some apps I am seeing something similar to this.

Feb 22 10:21:52 xxxx-MBP Docker Desktop Helper (GPU)[1539]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources//GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat: #2: No such file or directory

Feb 22 10:08:32 xxxx-MBP com.apple.photos.ImageConversionService[919]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources//GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat: #2: No such file or directory

I too thought Apple removed OpenGL in Catalina?

Last edited:

A.Hansen

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2021
Mac mini M1 on Big Sur 11.2.1

I'm getting this error on multiple apps including Apple native Preview and iMovie:

Feb 22 11:20:43 Mac-mini Preview[11386]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources//GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat: #2: No such file or directory

Feb 22 12:05:33 Mac-mini iMovie[11637]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources//GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat: #2: No such file or directory

They are all followed by an instant CVMServer crash:

Process: CVMServer [11420]
Path: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/CVMServer
Identifier: CVMServer
Version: 177.22
Code Type: ARM-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [1]
Responsible: CVMServer [11420]
User ID: 0

Date/Time: 2021-02-22 12:05:35.945 +0100
OS Version: macOS 11.2.1 (20D74)
Report Version: 12

Last edited:

Macgnome

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2021
Apparently OpenGL is still in Big Sur and even ported to the M1

Running the OpenGl Code

1614109282154.png

lightway

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2021
I can also add some test results:
I completely wiped my M1 MBA SSD and set it up from scratch without importing anything. Just downloaded Firefox 86 and tried it, the problem still persists. So this does not seem to be a configuration issue as it also happens with a fresh install of 11.2.2.
In addition I tried the latest Beta version of Firefox, which also still has the same issue.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
Could someone try to download the OpenGL version of GFXBench and see if it triggers any errors or freezes? App store s giving me the "not available in your country" message and i can't find other sources.

Psychbum

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I had this happen earlier, no idea why or what caused it. Im using 11.2.3, M1 MBP Pro, and do not have Firefox installed.

lightway

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2021
Firefox is just one example of an application causing this crash report entries. On Firefox it is just easy to reproduce for me as it creates that entry really on every single start. As mentioned above I was also able to trigger it with the bundled "Grapher" app that comes with Mac Os. But there it does not happen when starting it, but later when you let it draw something.

BTW: The error mentioned above about this "GLRendererFloat" is shown in the system.log of my Intel MBP too:
Mar 9 20:32:28 MacBookPro firefox[2106]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources//GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat: #2: No such file or directory
But not the Crash of CVMServer as on the M1 MBA.
So not sure if those two errors really have some causality or if they are two different bugs just happening at the same time.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
Add Blender to the list of affected apps...

Code:
Mar 11 01:00:29 Blender[2664]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources//GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat: #2: No such file or directory
Mar 11 01:00:29 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.cvmsServ[576]): Service exited due to SIGBUS | sent by exc handler[576]
Mar 11 01:00:29 ReportCrash[2670]: objc[2670]: Class CrashReport is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CrashReporterSupport.framework/Versions/A/CrashReporterSupport and /System/Library/CoreServices/ReportCrash. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

The viewport started flickering and the above appeared in the console.

Psychbum

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I have had 5 this morning already, no idea what its linked to. But its concerning mainly as I have no idea why it occurs.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
I have had 5 this morning already, no idea what its linked to. But its concerning mainly as I have no idea why it occurs.

Look at the timestamp of the crash reports and then check under system.log for anything that happened during the same time, it should say ReportCrash[xxxx] and above that the relevant process and app.

Psychbum

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Look at the timestamp of the crash reports and then check under system.log for anything that happened during the same time, it should say ReportCrash[xxxx] and above that the relevant process and app.
Oh wow, thank you. Seems to be associated to Frameworks and OneDrive.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
Which framework, are you getting this?

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources//GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat: #2: No such file or directory

Psychbum

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Which framework, are you getting this?

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources//GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat: #2: No such file or directory
Yes, that is exactly what I am seeing. What is that?

I also just spotted a Sigbus one too!

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
Well the app is trying to access a missing file or calling it in an illegal way and is rejected by the system, and it might as well be unrelated to OpenGL since it's not getting a chance to run to begin with.

We should be reporting these to the app developers as well, lots of things have changed in Big Sur and such regression errors are to be expected.

helio777

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2021
I'm also getting this too. I updated my new M1 Mac Mini with latest 11.2.3.
Other updates were to Apple software - pages, keynote, etc...

I contacted Apple Support, they wanted me to run physical hardware diagnostics... Which I wasn't prepared to do...

New installed apps presently are;
Google Chrome - 89.0.4389.90 (Official Build) (arm64)
Brother iPrint&Scan 8.1.0 (2017) (old version)
TeamViewer latest version
NTFS for Mac - Paragon software - latest arm64 version
Spotify

Computer is doing very BASIC stuff... Internet, browsing, printing, scanning...

Had disabled the screensaver to see if this would help...

Code:
Diagnostics Information (past 7-30 days):
    2021-03-19 12:13:01 CVMServer - Crash (13 times)
        Executable: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/CVMServer
        Details:
            dyld3 mode

2021-03-19 08:42:11 installd - High CPU Use (2 times)
        Executable: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PackageKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/installd

2021-03-18 16:28:31 signpost_reporter - High CPU Use
        Executable: /usr/libexec/signpost_reporter

2021-03-18 13:40:24 Spotify.app - Crash
        Executable: /Applications/Spotify.app

2021-03-18 09:09:54 BRAutoSetup - Crash
        Executable: /Library/Printers/Brother/Utilities/BRAutoSetup.bundle/Contents/MacOS/BRAutoSetup
        Details:
            *** CFRelease() called with NULL ***

lightway

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2021
Anyone having this problem already tried the 11.3 beta? Would be interesting to see if the fix is already on the way.

30jafl1[3

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2020
Anyone having this problem already tried the 11.3 beta? Would be interesting to see if the fix is already on the way.
Update: It has been three full days since we had a CVMServer crash. I think our problem is solved. It was a software issue related to a daemon/background process. I'll only update again if the problem reoccurs.

Yeah, we had a CVMServer crash on an M1 Macbook Air running 11.3 yesterday after several CVMServer crashes running 11.2 on previous days (about seven crashes total). When I checked the computer's log file, I found a flurry of activity by a sketchy looking program called "NWSManager" before the last crash. Specifically, launchd was repeatedly trying to start an associated daemon called "com.nwsdaemond" located in /Library/LaunchDaemons/ . The following was recorded hundreds of times before the last crash:

Mar 18 00:00:37 XXXX-Air-2 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.nwsdeamond.launchd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

From what I could find out online, NWSManager seems to be some kind of adware/malware, but there's not much documentation about it.

I removed this software's .app and .plist files, and we haven't had any further crashes.

I recommend running Etrecheck to make sure you don't have any offending adware/malware on your system. Etrecheck will check your /Library/LaunchDaemons/ folder for suspicious .plist files, though that's something you can also do on your own.

Last edited:

helio777

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2021
here is my update;

No change in the count on the CVMServer crashes...

Code:
Diagnostics Information (past 7-30 days):
    2021-03-19 13:29:35 signpost_reporter - High CPU Use (2 times)
        Executable: /usr/libexec/signpost_reporter

2021-03-19 12:13:01 CVMServer - Crash (13 times)
        Executable: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/CVMServer
        Details:
            dyld3 mode

2021-03-19 08:42:11 installd - High CPU Use (2 times)
        Executable: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PackageKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/installd

2021-03-18 13:40:24 Spotify.app - Crash
        Executable: /Applications/Spotify.app

2021-03-18 09:09:54 BRAutoSetup - Crash
        Executable: /Library/Printers/Brother/Utilities/BRAutoSetup.bundle/Contents/MacOS/BRAutoSetup
        Details:
            *** CFRelease() called with NULL ***

vanasian

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2013
I reinstalled big Sur and set my MBA m1 as new yesterday. I noticed I had 2 CVMserver crashes. I started surfing online and tried to figure out what's going on. Somewhere I read about that someone turn off the screen saver and it stoped. So I did that right away. So far I don't see it today. Hopefully this problem is really solved.

appmasternah

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2021
MBP 16 m1 getting CVMServer crash while using Imovie, PhpStrom, Mail - bigsur 11.2.3

Last edited:

lightway

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2021
Today i drop my machine in service center
Do you have also other problems with the device? Because I think this CVMServer messages are 'just' from a software bug introduced in 11.2. But please keep us posted what they are going to do or suggesting. Is it a Apple Store or a 3rd party service center you are taking it to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.