Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Otumelty

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Belfast
If you were using an MBA as your main computer (for college work etc) would you go for the 11 or the 13? I don't have another computer at the moment and it's hard to decide

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
If my MBA were my main, I would go with 13. I would only go with 11 if I had an external monitor as well.

Otumelty

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Belfast
The only other computer in the house is a 10" NetBook which is... Portable but crap.
I was originally planning to get the 13" pro but with apple finally offering 8gb ram I think the air could be better

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I had a 2011 MBP with 8GB RAM. I liked it, and occasionally the RAM got used, but most of the time the Mac did not utilize the extra 4GB. I was kind of disappointed by that. Then again, I rarely got Page Outs. I've got a lot of Page Outs on my MBA now, so I wonder if that 4GB would help me here.

As for the screen size, either is fine. As portability is a big deal to me, I got the 11". I probably should have gotten the 64GB model (I use Google Drive, Dropbox, and a huge thumb drive to store my docs), but I wanted to be safe and got the 128GB instead. I am graduate student and this is my main computer.

Otumelty

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Belfast
I had a 2011 MBP with 8GB RAM. I liked it, and occasionally the RAM got used, but most of the time the Mac did not utilize the extra 4GB. I was kind of disappointed by that. Then again, I rarely got Page Outs. I've got a lot of Page Outs on my MBA now, so I wonder if that 4GB would help me here.

As for the screen size, either is fine. As portability is a big deal to me, I got the 11". I probably should have gotten the 64GB model (I use Google Drive, Dropbox, and a huge thumb drive to store my docs), but I wanted to be safe and got the 128GB instead. I am graduate student and this is my main computer.

Did you get rid of the mbp for the MBA?

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Did you get rid of the mbp for the MBA?

Yes. I loved the 2011 MBP, and it served me well, but my work has changed, and I have transitioned more and more to working on the iPad. I still have a little bit of heavy lifting to do, and I occasionally need a fully functioning OS, but not to the same degree as I did last year. Switching to the 11" MBA means more portability, and that matters more to me now than the battery life, memory, and screen on the MBP (I preferred it to the MBA 13", even with the lower resolution).

So far, I am thrilled. There is a slight speed increase for daily tasks (I never turned off my MBP, so it was all loaded and ready to go all the time anyhow), but in general, it is pretty much the same use experience. The portability, though -- wow. This is really nice. Plus, the upgrade only cost me about 100 dollars (less than I had originally thought), because I am selling the MBP for a nice amount, and I got 175 back from educational discount at BB (150 gift certificate bought me 175 of iTunes gift cards).

----------

this is a really good video i found for utilizing screen space on the 11"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX_ewIa4xeA

the only thing that really worries me now is the battery life :(

5 hours. No more in my use. But, it's OK. That is still a lot of work, and it is nice to have such a small computer.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
If college work == Writing text documents, get the 11". Anything else, get the 13".

Good point. This describes me well. I do web design and some other stuff as well, but the main thing is writing, and for that, you could just use the iPad. In fact, most of my work is done on it. So, why purchase an expensive 13"? I see no point.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Good point. This describes me well. I do web design and some other stuff as well, but the main thing is writing, and for that, you could just use the iPad. In fact, most of my work is done on it. So, why purchase an expensive 13"? I see no point.
Well, for writing a lot, I would never recommend the iPad, but each to its own. :) Maybe with a bluetooth keyboard.. or The Brydge.

What I meant for 11" vs. 13" is simply that for pure text, 11" is enough to get you going. For any layout or with apps where you need a few palettes or info windows or similar, you'd like as much screen estate as possible!

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Well, for writing a lot, I would never recommend the iPad, but each to its own. :) Maybe with a bluetooth keyboard.. or The Brydge.

What I meant for 11" vs. 13" is simply that for pure text, 11" is enough to get you going. For any layout or with apps where you need a few palettes or info windows or similar, you'd like as much screen estate as possible!

The iPad is awful with lots of text. I meant with the external keyboard. Then, you have a retina screen, Pages, and 10 hours of battery life :)

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
The only other computer in the house is a 10" NetBook which is... Portable but crap.
I was originally planning to get the 13" pro but with apple finally offering 8gb ram I think the air could be better

11" MacBook Air >>>>>>> any netbook out there. You get a machine 10x more powerful than pretty much all netbooks but is still as portable as the iPad, a proper screen resolution vs. 1024x600, you can hook it up to a bigger display, etc.

Otumelty

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Belfast
I get student discount so it would only be 70 pounds of a difference, I was in the store today but it was packed so I only got to play with and 11 inch, I don't see a big weight difference though

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I get student discount so it would only be 70 pounds of a difference, I was in the store today but it was packed so I only got to play with and 11 inch, I don't see a big weight difference though

the weight difference is about .5 pounds, so it's not that big of a difference. Although, when you are talking about 2-3 pounds .5 can feel like more

Otumelty

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Belfast
Went back in to apple when it was quiter, I think the 13" is the sweet spot for me.

On an aside, that retina MacBook is something else...

Bigmacduck

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
Assume you have both: a 11" and a 13"

Assume you have both: a 11" and a 13" and both are fully cloned and have the same content. When would you grab which model to take with you in the morning when you leave home? That might help to decide.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Assume you have both: a 11" and a 13" and both are fully cloned and have the same content. When would you grab which model to take with you in the morning when you leave home? That might help to decide.
That one would be fairly easy. But what about those of us that DON'T leave home, and either use an external monitor at a desk or use the laptop at the kitchen table or a coffee table (without the external monitor)?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That one would be fairly easy. But what about those of us that DON'T leave home, and either use an external monitor at a desk or use the laptop at the kitchen table or a coffee table (without the external monitor)?

If you don't ever leave home, you can look at it two ways...no need for a better battery (making the 11" more appealing) however, why not get a bigger screen (13"). The 11" you can get with an i7/8/128 for $50 more than the 13" i5/8/128 with the student discount. Boils soles down to the screen, and you have an external...11" sounds best from a spec standpoint

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Does the i7 run hotter than the i5? (or warmer?)

Also - which has better battery life, i7 or i5?

Thanks...

BaseballGuy

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
I'm in the same boat, I start college in the fall and was set on the 13" MBA but lately the 11" looks super appealing. I'd use it for office, apps, itunes, my baseball blog, databases, browsing, skype, etc. Could I get buy w/ an 11 in? How much better is the battery in the 2012 11"? This would be my main machine.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Does the i7 run hotter than the i5? (or warmer?)

Also - which has better battery life, i7 or i5?

Thanks...

Battery life and temp is suppose to be the same for both processors.

----------

I'm in the same boat, I start college in the fall and was set on the 13" MBA but lately the 11" looks super appealing. I'd use it for office, apps, itunes, my baseball blog, databases, browsing, skype, etc. Could I get buy w/ an 11 in? How much better is the battery in the 2012 11"? This would be my main machine.

Excel may be a pain on the smaller screen. Go into apple and play around with the 11" and see what you think. Remember 5 hours using excel and iTunes with surfing at the same time is closer to 3.5-4

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
If you were using an MBA as your main computer (for college work etc) would you go for the 11 or the 13? I don't have another computer at the moment and it's hard to decide

If I only had one computer it would definitely be the 13". It's a great combination of mobility and all day usability. It's bigger screen and longer battery life are definite advantages while still being light and small enough for easy transport.

The 11" is cool and great for short bursts of use while on the go but needs an external display and a power source to be all day usable.

I have an 11" now, but have had a 13" in the past and am debating which to get this time around. I know i prefer the form factor of the 11 but the screen of the 13. I have an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse in locations I use it for any period of time or I couldn't really choose the 11.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011

I'm using it as my main machine. But, I am using it in conjunction with the iPad, where I do most of my work, so the battery thing isn't such a big deal for me.

Whether you could get by or not with it depends on your situation: what you are willing to give up (screen size and battery) and what you value (portability and price). Everyone is going to have a different calculation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.