Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Expanding on its report from earlier today regarding Apple's preparations toward a thinner and lighter next-generation iPhone set for launch in the September timeframe, The Wall Street Journal now reports that Apple is working on more ambitious plans for the 2012 iPhone, experimenting with a number of changes including a "new way of charging" the device.
Investors expect a bigger boost to Apple's phone business next year. People briefed on Apple's plans said the company is planning a major iPhone revamp then, with one person saying the company has been experimenting with features such as a new way of charging the phone.
It is unclear exactly what charging mechanisms Apple is exploring, but it is possible that the company is considering using induction charging or some other similar wireless system that would negate the need to plug in a cable. Combined with wireless syncing coming in iOS 5, wireless charging could truly make the iPhone a cable-free device.

iphone_4_dock_connector.jpg

Today's report from The Wall Street Journal also reiterates earlier claims from a variety of sources, including the Journal itself, regarding Apple's work on a less expensive iPhone, noting that the form factor in testing is reported to have an edge-to-edge screen.
Apple has also been working on a less-expensive phone with new features such as an edge-to-edge screen, according to this person.
Rumors of a smaller iPhone, sometimes dubbed the "iPhone nano", have been circulating for a number of years, and there still appears to me no stated timeframe for a release of such a product.

Article Link: Apple Experimenting With 'New Way of Charging' for 2012 iPhone

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
So instead of carrying around a standard iPod/iPhone USB cable for charging, I have to carry around an induction charger? No thanks.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
If not inductive charging, perhaps we will see those mobile device magsafe patents actually being put to use?

Insolence

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
EU
Damn, now that I'm upgrading to the upcoming iPhone 5, they gotta throw out a "major re-vamp" rumor about the iPhone 6 in 2012? Booo :(

funman895

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
So instead of carrying around a standard iPod/iPhone USB cable for charging, I have to carry around an induction charger? No thanks.

I doubt Apple would drop 30-pin support, so odds are you have your induction charger at home and carry around your usb cable on the go.

funman895

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
That'd be really nice. I'd like my cat's ability to yank my iPod off my desk taken away.

I kinda doubt that's an option, given the low weight of an iPhone, the magnet connecter itself would need to be extremely low-strength, presenting the same problem that some say plagues mag-safe today, which is the cable detaching itself too easily.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
That'd be really nice. I'd like my cat's ability to yank my iPod off my desk taken away.

I think the EU's standard charger mandate will keep those particular patents from ever being put into good use.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
"Apple is working on more ambitious plans for the 2012 iPhone"

So not the one apparently out in Sept 2011, or the one that comes out in sept 2011 and runs into 2012?!

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Yes, it would be quite awesome if apple made the back of the next iPhone photovoltaic so it generates energy, but I doubt the technology has evolved enough to make its design really minimal, but who knows what Apple will do.

i think it would be on the front of the screen. i know there was talk of a solar layer in or under the screen a while ago. they might be coming close with that technology. that would be wonderful.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Interesting.

The link from the MacRumors page went 404, however, there seems to be some sort of product. There appears to be some sort of attachment necessary to accomplish the wireless charging that only happens when the accessory case has direct contact with a conductive surface (e.g., metal).

No support for the iPhone 4 though which is apparently because the handset's back is glass and there's no conductivity.

Last edited:

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Solar panel casing. Thanks Apple

Well the idea has been around for a while and when you look at the rumors of a thinner iphone and LTE/4G, it does make sense for something, even slightly top up the battery. It could make a difference to whether certain things are implemented or not as battery life is the bottleneck now.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
They would have to make induction charging more convenient than using a cable and I don't see that happening in cars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.