Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amnichols10

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Hey I'm in the market for a new iPad and am on the fence between the 2 sizes. It would be my travel laptop replacement as I have an iMac but I have a couple of questions.

I really like the extra HP the big pro has but for those who do have it how does it work as a reading device (books, comics, magazines)

Look forward to the responses. Thanks for reading.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
What does "hp" mean?

Anyway, I like reading on the 12.9. It's like reading a hard cover book, whereas the 9.7 is like reading a largish paperback. Comics and magazines on 12.9 turn out nearly full size. Of course, the 12.9 is heavier, but to me, the bigger screen makes up for it. If you have good eyesight and don't mind reading smaller print, you might prefer the 9.7. It's all up to personal preference.

amnichols10

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2008
What does "hp" mean?

Anyway, I like reading on the 12.9. It's like reading a hard cover book, whereas the 9.7 is like reading a largish paperback. Comics and magazines on 12.9 turn out nearly full size. Of course, the 12.9 is heavier, but to me, the bigger screen makes up for it. If you have good eyesight and don't mind reading smaller print, you might prefer the 9.7. It's all up to personal preference.

Sorry I meant horse power by "HP". I'm thinking of something that would be of better "all-around" use. That's why I like the 12.9. But I do like the iPad's as e readers too.

Whitedragem

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2016
Hey I'm in the market for a new iPad and am on the fence between the 2 sizes. It would be my travel laptop replacement as I have an iMac but I have a couple of questions.

I really like the extra HP the big pro has but for those who do have it how does it work as a reading device (books, comics, magazines)

Look forward to the responses. Thanks for reading.

The 12.9 is basically A4, and perfect for PDFs and reading on.... Except the weight, which might prove fatiguing depending on your style for supporting it.

I am a grown man, and the weight can be felt in my forearm on long usage sessions.
Admittedly I do use for long sessions regularly...
It weighs the same as my daughters ipad 2, and like all,iPads before the air models... Is heavier.

But there was a time when this weight was normal/acceptable.

I wouldn't be worried about the horsepower differences between the models, but it does appear that Apple is differentiating the bigger screen brother in a few ways with ios 10 (triple column email view as an example).

Side by siding two webpages is cool, and is one of the last bastions for replacing a lot of my tech tool laptop use...

Just be aware that finding the right cases or bag compartments can be tricky.

Eg as a techie,mi take my ipad and a laptop around with me.
Most backpacks etc assume a 10" tablet,. So it gets a little squezy!

If cost and colour accuracy are not concerns the 12" Pro is perfect for magazine and other reading sources.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
My 12.9 is my complete reading device. I have a kindle as well which I used to use exclusively for books until I got the iPad. Now I read and have read more books on my iPad Pro in this short period of time than in the same amount of time on the kindle. I feel like books are full size and doubly so if the publication has charts or tables. I get free magazine subscriptions from my local library and they are stunning on the large display and I read many per month now where before I read NO magazines. All in all my iPad Pro has become my book, my textbook (when I'm back at University), and also my notepad all in one... I could not be happier.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
The 12.9 is basically A4, and perfect for PDFs and reading on.... Except the weight, which might prove fatiguing depending on your style for supporting it.

I am a grown man, and the weight can be felt in my forearm on long usage sessions.
Admittedly I do use for long sessions regularly...
It weighs the same as my daughters ipad 2, and like all,iPads before the air models... Is heavier.

But there was a time when this weight was normal/acceptable.

I wouldn't be worried about the horsepower differences between the models, but it does appear that Apple is differentiating the bigger screen brother in a few ways with ios 10 (triple column email view as an example).

Side by siding two webpages is cool, and is one of the last bastions for replacing a lot of my tech tool laptop use...

Just be aware that finding the right cases or bag compartments can be tricky.

Eg as a techie,mi take my ipad and a laptop around with me.
Most backpacks etc assume a 10" tablet,. So it gets a little squezy!

If cost and colour accuracy are not concerns the 12" Pro is perfect for magazine and other reading sources.
I have the Staad Attaché for the 12.9. Absolutely brilliant bag. Can't recommend it enough. My wife has even tried to steal it for her laptop. Luckily her laptop was a half inch too big to fit in the sleeve.

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/ipad-cases/products/staad-attache-briefcase

Last edited:
Reactions: jgelin

amnichols10

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Brilliant. Thanks for the replies and putting to rest some of my concerns. Keep the experiences coming.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I read a lot with the 12.9" iPad. For sitting at a table or desk it helps to have some sort of gadget to prop it up. The large screen is great for viewing larger documents including drawings. It has plenty of GPU/CPU power so that the screen renders almost instantly after scrolling or resizing.

I travel with this on business. I usually carry a laptop as well. However, sometimes I just take the iPad. The large screen is great as I can use Splastop to remotely connect to my Mac at home. This works quite well. I wouldn't want to work this way but if I need something from home it is great. I can manipulate software to produce a document then put it on iCloud Drive to transfer it to the iPad.

I also heartily recommend SF Bags, Waterfield Designs for a carrying bag. I have the Muzetto but I'm thinking about the Cargo Bag. Everything they make is very well made.

Reactions: bhodinut

bxsonic

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2016
Surabaya
I think comics gets the biggest benefit from the 12.9" screen. Using 2 page view in comixology with the iPad in landscape is fantastic. Previously, I felt that landscape mode made the text too small to be enjoyable on my iPad 3. The 4 GB memory helps as well since you rarely need to restart the app

In my experience, for books and magazines, while the 12.9 is better, I think the smaller iPads work well enough. If you don't mind the size & weight of the 12.9" iPad Pro though, I think it is superior to the smaller iPads for reading

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I read on my 12.9. I just read my books landscape. Magazines and comics I read portrait.

It took a little getting used to the size, but I'm fine with it.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
The iPad Pro in landscape mode is the equivalent of two iPad 9.7' side by side - in terms of physical size, resolution not so as its a half way house increase. When reading fiction, I.e books only with text it's ludicrous to use, the iPad Mini is perfect in that scenario. For PDF's and Comics, it's the best device available.

I did originally use Pixelmator and Pro Create on the Air 2 but ever since getting the Pro whenever I go back it just feels far too cramped, small and the pencil is fantastic. It is the same when proofing video, I just prefer the larger screen for everything task wise. I hate travelling with it though, to me it feels far larger and more fragile than a 13 retina MacBook.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The iPad Pro in landscape mode is the equivalent of two iPad 9.7' side by side - in terms of physical size, resolution not so as its a half way house increase. When reading fiction, I.e books only with text it's ludicrous to use, the iPad Mini is perfect in that scenario. For PDF's and Comics, it's the best device available.
Hmm, it's not quite two 9.7" (3:4) iPads side by side. More like two 9.3" at 2:3 aspect ratio. Incidentally, 2:3 is actually pretty spot-on with aspect ratio of actual printed comics so the 12.9" is pretty perfect for reading double-page spread. Pixel density is the same at 264 ppi.

Last edited:

amnichols10

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Great stuff. As I said before I think the 12.9 would be more versatile from a "laptop replacement" perspective compared to the 9.7. The only thing that I was thinking about was the reading aspect, but from the comments it works out fine.

Also once you get used to the screen there's no going back ;)

Reactions: Precursor

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
This was one of my bigger concerns when looking at such a big iPad. The kindle app, i'm pleased to say, supports 2-column view which makes 2 "pages" side by side. It's pretty natural. I use the case stand to hold the iPad so my arms don't get tired.

I've replaced my MB Air with the iPad because the simple tasks & convenience just make such a difference.

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
12.9 is a great workhorse for me. Use it mainly for drawing and as a laptop replacement. I think it would be great for reading text books, comics, and magazines. Not so sure for casual use, reading in bed etc. That’s the thing, one device can’t really do everything well. So for that I got an iPad mini on sale. Both get a lot of use. If you can find a cheap one I’d recommend it, if both productivity and casual use are important to you.

Reactions: fathergll

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
Got a 12.9 for lots of pdf reading a year ago. Looking forward HARD to the release of a X style iPad in 10-11 inches. 12.9 is great for opening two windows at once. But it is way too big for reading anything. It's just a massive wall of text that weighs so much you can't read in a comfortable position.

I actually seem to be in the minority on this in this thread, but I miss the smaller iPads I used to have. This thing is a monster and I can't wait to get rid of it.

Reactions: jgelin

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Got a 12.9 for lots of pdf reading a year ago. Looking forward HARD to the release of a X style iPad in 10-11 inches. 12.9 is great for opening two windows at once. But it is way too big for reading anything. It's just a massive wall of text that weighs so much you can't read in a comfortable position.

I actually seem to be in the minority on this in this thread, but I miss the smaller iPads I used to have. This thing is a monster and I can't wait to get rid of it.
Also hoping for a newer pro with smaller footprint. Was highly disappointed that we saw nothing on iPad at keynote but this was to be expected based on rumors.

CB98

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2018
D
My 12.9 is my complete reading device. I have a kindle as well which I used to use exclusively for books until I got the iPad. Now I read and have read more books on my iPad Pro in this short period of time than in the same amount of time on the kindle. I feel like books are full size and doubly so if the publication has charts or tables. I get free magazine subscriptions from my local library and they are stunning on the large display and I read many per month now where before I read NO magazines. All in all my iPad Pro has become my book, my textbook (when I'm back at University), and also my notepad all in one... I could not be happier.
do you also use a laptop?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Love my 12.9 as a reading device every now and then, but I mix it up and read on an e-reader half the time as well.

Last edited:

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
This thread started two year ago so the OP may have made their decision by now ;)

But in case others are wondering the same I love my 12.9 as a reading device. As others have commented it’s great for comics and Books / Kindle do a double page spread in landscape which is also cool. I read a lot of technical PDFs that (in dead-tree format) are A4 so the 12.9 is also fantastic there, too.

Another thing which is very good in my experience - if you are using an ebook as reference material whilst producing another document then the 12.9 is great with full-app multitasking. I regularly do this when on the move rather than carrying a full laptop.

ETA: It’s also worth knowing that the gen 2 12.9 has a superior screen compared to the earlier devices which is much clearer in sunlight. My kindle gave up the ghost recently and I haven’t bothered to replace it for reading by the pool.

Hurley82989

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Struggling with this.

Primarily looking for a reading/browsing device to be used on the couch. Struggling with this.

Primarily looking for a reading/browsing device to be used on the couch. Will be reading lots of PDFs so the 12.9 screen size is perfect, 10.5 felt too similar to my 9.7 iPad which requires a lot of zooming and panning.

Loved the 12.9 in store but felt borderline too heavy. Seemed like it could get tiring after 30-60 minutes. Will be using it handheld in portrait orientation. Seems pointless to me to use it on my lap in landscape orientation, might as well use my MBP at that point.

Thoughts?

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Loved the 12.9 in store but felt borderline too heavy. Seemed like it could get tiring after 30-60 minutes. Will be using it handheld in portrait orientation. Seems pointless to me to use it on my lap in landscape orientation, might as well use my MBP at that point.

Thoughts?

The iPad can sit on your lap in portrait orientation, hold it at the desired angle and let your lap take the weight.

I do this a lot and find it’s completely fine.

Reactions: arefbe

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Struggling with this.

Primarily looking for a reading/browsing device to be used on the couch. Struggling with this.

Primarily looking for a reading/browsing device to be used on the couch. Will be reading lots of PDFs so the 12.9 screen size is perfect, 10.5 felt too similar to my 9.7 iPad which requires a lot of zooming and panning.

Thoughts?

My thought is wait for the new iPad Pros to come out and then decide. If rumors hold true we may be seeing reduced physical size and weight with no compromise in screen size or even the release of something in between the current 10.5 and 12.9. Either way, new ipad Pro designs could ease some of your concerns.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.