Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Apple just refreshed the iPad Pro last month, but it was a relatively minor update, with new features including an A12Z Bionic chip that has since been found to be an A12X chip with an extra GPU core enabled, an Ultra Wide camera that enables 0.5x zoom, a LiDAR Scanner for enhanced augmented reality, and better sounding microphones. It was the first update to the iPad Pro since the device received a major redesign in October 2018.
Don’t forget double the SSD in the base model, lower pricing, 6GB RAM (increased from 4GB in all models except the 1TB model, which already had 6GB) and WiFi 6.

Reactions: XD_Goulart

0ID

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
Why miniLED? microLED is much better and has lower power requirements.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
It would be really odd for two different updates coming out. Obviously I have no information one way or the other, but I'm going to guess that the model with Micro LED and 14X chip and 5G are all the same model. At least I hope so. That's the version that will tempt me to update from my current model.

It would be odd but not unheard of. iPad 3 and 4 came out within 6 month(ish) of each other. Many blamed that on the iPad 3 having battery issues though. My iPad 3 worked fine.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Personally I never saw a spring AND fall release of the iPad Pro making sense and coming to fruition
No one but the dueling analysts were floating that idea. Now that the 2020 iPad Pro is a reality, the analysts are saying that Apple is DELAYING. No, we weren’t wrong, we were RIGHT about two iPad Pros in one year, but remember we always say “if nothing changes”? Well, ya see, something changed! :)

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
That was predictable. No way was this coming out this year, when they just upgraded Pro’s and with the Pandemic.

0ID

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
They’re not very high pixel density, the pixels are huge. Samsung’s “Wall” is (reportedly) something close to $100,000 too ? ?

Sorry but microLEd screens have higher pixel density as miniLED screens. Perhaps you have some other informations.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I never believed Apple would release two iPad Pros in one year. I mean come on....besides a handful of Macs during the early years of Steve Jobs return to Apple, when has Apple ever released the same product twice in a year? Especially an iOS device. There will not be an early 2020 iPad Pro and a late 2020 iPad Pro. This whole rumor was a joke to begin with.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Sorry but microLEd screens have higher pixel density as miniLED screens. Perhaps you have some other informations.
I’ve never seen a high density microLED display. Samsung’s TV is 1080p at 73”. That’s a dot pitch of 0.84mm—about 30 dpi. And it’s so expensive they won’t even tell you how much it costs lol.

LCD displays like miniLED are at least in the 200s (if not 300-400) for phones/tablets/monitors. iPad Pro is 264 ppi.

_Lion04_

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
I can't wait to see the mini-LED technology on the iPad Pro 2021. I think it's gonna be a really good iPad Pro.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Does your iPhone do split screen? Slide over? Sidecar? Dock? Support Pencil / mouse / trackpad?

Maybe he has a Galaxy Note, because it does do most of that (or Sammy's interpretation of it), and has been able to for years? ;)

But seriously though, Apple customers are so used to the upgrade path that it's hard to stop. The iPad has truly exceeded the iPhone in (traditional computer) capability and now more than ever before it is approaching maturity (if it isn't there already).

A base iPad is a killer purchase today, good for at least 3 to 5 years if not more. A 2020 iPad Pro seems to have even longer legs.

The promise of the device introduced in 2010 has finally been realized (if not in the way most expected).

Tarantularock

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2016
I'd be surprised...With all the products being pushed back I would imagine this expensive & high end 12.9 would be in the lower priority list. Seems there is a high demand for a 13/14 inch MacBook Pro, an iMac update, the iPhone 12 / 12pro ... Apple Watch, ATV, HomePod? New AirPods and tags?... that would be a crazy amount for 8 months.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
Personally I never saw a spring AND fall release of the iPad Pro making sense and coming to fruition, even without the virus. One year timeline makes more sense, especially considering how far of everyone else they already are with their tablet hardware. Focus on the software, iPhone 12, and a new iMac! :)

They've done it before with iPads. Let us not forget the infamous year of 2012 when both the iPad 3 and 4 were released. I bought the iPad 3 and I will never forget. :)
[automerge]1587067396[/automerge]
I never believed Apple would release two iPad Pros in one year. I mean come on....besides a handful of Macs during the early years of Steve Jobs return to Apple, when has Apple ever released the same product twice in a year? Especially an iOS device. There will not be an early 2020 iPad Pro and a late 2020 iPad Pro. This whole rumor was a joke to begin with.

Umm, first of all iPad 3 and 4, both released in 2012. Second, why do you think they say "Early 2020" and "Late 2020" when they release products? :)

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
They've done it before with iPads. Let us not forget the infamous year of 2012 when both the iPad 3 and 4 were released. I bought the iPad 3 and I will never forget. :)
[automerge]1587067396[/automerge]

Umm, first of all iPad 3 and 4, both released in 2012. Second, why do you think they say "Early 2020" and "Late 2020" when they release products? :)
I understand that they did this before. I did not anticipate they would do it again. And it looks like they aren't.

The update interval for the iPad Pro has been ~18 months since its inception.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
Honestly the prices are insane for having to buy every 3 years the whole lineup new. I would expect a cheap upgrade plan.

with luck you can get good bucks for your old device, but with apples inferior built quality the last years, it’s harder and harder. If you are not lucky your 3 year old device is worth 100 bucks, and you paid around 100.

They have an upgrade plan. Its called "Apple Trade-In". Oh, and they do leasing for businesses. I guess you want something exactly like the phone though from the sounds of it. It's easier to do with the phone because you are already paying monthly for service, so people "forget" about some of the hardware cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.