12.9 size experiences

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kallyq, Mar 24, 2016.

1. kallyq macrumors regular

I saw these in the store and thought they looked huge (and wasn't in the market for an iPad a the time). I find the apple pencil really intriguing and am thinking about getting an iPad Pro but really having a hard time with deciding on the size. I do have an Air 2 so know what that size is like, I'm really interested in hearing about others' experiences with using the 12.9 inch and whether you feel that it is too big. I mainly use on the couch or in bed before sleeping. Thanks much!

2. Fthree macrumors 6502a

the size is a little cumbersome at times. I think you will be happier with your air 2 in the bed. I love my IPP but use it mainly as a work device for when I'm out of the house and don't want to carry my macbook

3. batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

I was worried about the size but with the Smart Keyboard and the pencil I use it daily and hardly use my MacBooks...I went with the apple Smart Keyboard versus the Logitech Create keyboard case because I didn't want it to be as bulky as my MacBook Air. I have no trouble playing games or reading with it. If I'm at an appointment and don't want to take something this big I have my iPhone 6+ which to be honest had killed my iPad mini usage. I don't regret the 12.9 size - the screen looks awesome - makes for great game play or watching videos. I also downloaded Duet so I can use it to extend my MacBook monitors - will be awesome for traveling.

Cheers,
    Bobbie

4. artfossil, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016

artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

I use my iPad Pro 12.9 inch all the time--for work-work, for creative work and for play.

My iPad Air 2, which I adored, now seems like a toy. I'll never go back to a smaller form factor.

5. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

Just think of it as a portible laptop. Imagine your couch or bed time with a laptop screen.

I have a 12ver these days compared to my regular ipad of old, which now seems toy like as well. Absolutely no going back. I was desparate to get my regular ipad to be my note pad, doodler, note taker, scribbler, drawer etc etc, using whatever stylus i could find. But it was all crap. It never worked. Never fullfilled. Not even close.

Now, with a huge screen and Pencil at my disposal i have everything i ever wanted. I havent etched or scribbled quick notes in my regular notepad for 5 or 6 months. The Pro and Pencil is soooooo natural.

At the time of purchase i thought i'd try a regular ipad or a mini for bed/couch, but not now. Even the large screen does all for me, and then some.

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

I love my IPP, but your use case sounds like you should stick with the 9.7 if coach and bed is your normal usage.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The screen is amazing. Truly. But the weight is a bit much for me to handle 1 handed. If it weighed 1lb or less it would be perfection.

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I love my iPad Pro. People always say, "Damn, that thing is big." I'll never tire of hearing that. It's great. I'm able to use it split screen when in vertical mode and that is a big plus. I have the keyboard and pencil. I can't recommend them enough.

9. FairyCatInPink, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016

FairyCatInPink macrumors regular

FairyCatInPink

I was having same kind of hesitation as you are having, at the moment almost iPad Pro 12.9" started taking reservation online. I do digital drawing and edit music, but only iPad I had before that was iPad mini, it compromises my drawing space, but I love its mobility. At that time I was questioning even 9.7" as to go size. First, I thought 12.9" is very huge. But I really wanted to have experience with Apple Pencil since first time I saw their advertisement. I used many pens on iPad mini, didn't like any one of them and gave me frustration, I did try Wacom cintig(old desktop type) and still it wasn't good enough.
    So, I hesitated until very last moment and decided to give it a try.

After few months from then, now I love that size. Best size to draw, best size to maximize the benefit from split screen function. Yes it's big when you compare to 9.7", but there are reasons why it was 12.9" and 9.7" wasn't enough size. In my opinion, 12.9" Pro isn't for everybody, 9.7" is good one as well if you need to use it only for browsing websites, reading Ebooks and articles and emails. I'm not a big person so for me the best size to play games and read ebook is still iPad mini though.

Weight, probably bit heavier than 9.7", but I bring it everywhere and cafe and just use it as digital sketchbook. I don't use keyboard, so probably less weight and space in my bag. I love my experience with 12.9", even though I was one of people who wished if the smaller pro was available before 9.7" came out. Now, I understand benefit of 12.9", and it fits my purpose of use.

10. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

I also used to think the 12.9 would be 'too big' when compared to my Air 2. Now I think the Air 2 is way too small after using the 12.9. Typing, split screen (truly functional on the 12.9), and note-taking are all much nicer to do on the bigger screen. And then there's video...

11. dannyar macrumors 6502

I agree, the air 2 after owning the pro 12.9 since launch feels like a toy in comparison, cramped screen, horrible speakers are just the start. You can truly multitask and the case of videos, sit back and not have to strain to see whats on screen. Could never go back to smaller size.

12. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

OP, this is really a super-personal thing. My experience with the 12.9" Pro is that the Pencil made it, and the size wasn't really bad when I used it as it was at a desk. The moment I tried to replace my 9.7" with it, it was a different story and it only lasted a few days before it was returned. How and what you use the iPad for really is key for if the larger model will work for you.

- Extra weight/size favors being propped up or on a desk, rather than one-handed use.
    - While it is less portable, it is still more portable than a laptop, and a bigger screen than the 12" MacBook.
    - Use in tight areas (mass transit, places), or areas that lack a table/desk/etc tend to favor the smaller screen.
    - Heavy multi-tasking favors the larger screen.
    - You may prefer video on a larger screen than smaller.

13. doboy macrumors 68000

I rarely use my Air 2 since I got my 12.9 Pro.

14. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

I bought and returned the 12.9 because it was too big and heavy and the software wasn't updated for it. Extra screen space isn't used intelligently unless always using two apps at once. Felt like a n iPad for the seeing impaired.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Big at first but after a month of use as my recreational Internet cruiser, I would not trade it for anything. Sold both my Air 2 and now ordered the 9.7 Pro for using in the field.

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's a nice tablet and I could absolutely see why an artist, photographer, or anyone who was working with graphics could get good use of out it and sing its praises. But it's not really a "hand held" device like the 9.7 or 7.2" models. I played with it for a long time in the store, and it just didn't feel comfortable for the way I use my iPad -- mostly reading and short writing and occasionally some photo editing. It's def. not something I want to hold in bed or on the couch. I'll stick with the smaller formats.

17. Serban Suspended

so i have ipp 12.9" and ipad air 2 and use today in the morning a ipad pro with 9.7" preview unit
    the main difference:
    Advantage for the bigger one: )real estate, truly takes advantage for split view (if you like to use 2 apps simultaneous), 2)the audio is higher in frequencies and a bit louder but you can see the dif only side by side,3) the smart keyboard a bit easy to use thanks to its dimensions, the 9.7" is too compact4) for artist or if you need to draw the real estate and the flash camera into the body makes your work a pleasure. the 9.7" without a case it wobbles just around the top of the body

Advantage for the smaller one: 1) dimensions and weight, it is meant to take with you often, 2) the display quality-less reflective, brighter wider colour gamut and the true tone display its a pleasure when you browsing or reading, not so much on drawing but you can disable as you know already 3)the camera for those who use it for editing or traveling (instead of an iphone 6s/6splus?)

but for your only needs you must get the 9.7"
    or use an 12.9" with a stand in your bed

18. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

I sold mine to buy the new small pro.
    It's to heavy and big for bed, I prefer the larger one when typing on the Smart Keyboard at a desk in landscape but the weight and size really bothered me when using it in bed to watch Netflix and browse.
    Also the lack of apps using the iPad Pro onscreen keyboard I found really jarring, remember iPad apps are not supported as well as their iPhone counterparts so if and when they'll support the pro is unknown.

19. 617aircav Suspended

I agree. I went from the 10 surface to the 12 surface pro 4. I realized that 12 was hard to use as a tablet so I returned it.

20. yegon macrumors 68020

Had a 12.9" for a bit before I returned it. Can totally see why it's a real boon to lots of people but it wasn't for me.

It was only after a few days that it really hit me why I much prefer 9.7". I use iPad primarily in portrait, with the obvious exception of video and the occasional game. The 12.9" really feels like it's designed primarily for landscape mode, with side by side apps. As I mainly use an iPad for consumption, the usefulness of this is lost on me. My iPad's corner is predominantly seated in the palm of my left hand in portrait, with my right for input and nose picking. This just isn't practical for any length of time with the 12.9".

21. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I just purchased the 12.9 because of the deal Best Buy was offering for the wifi model.
    I cannot hold it like the 9.7, it takes forever to charge with the 12w charger. The 29w charger is $49 and USB-c to lightning cable is another $35. If you want the extension power cord thats another $19.

Here's the thing. The real estate is amazing; using Word and Excel are usable with the 12.9. Editing pictures and videos is easier on the eyes.

The mini - extremely portability, great for a car trip, degrabbing coffee, decent readability.
    9.7 - less likely to grab and go. Great for the bed, couch, kitchen and vacations
    12.9 - definitely a work platform. If your wife wants you to be in the same room but you hate what she watches on tv, this is the iPad you want.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I bought the 12.9 thinking I'd use it mostly at a desk with a Bluetooth keyboard, but instead, I'm mostly using it in my lap on sofa and in bed. It took a few days to get used to the larger size, but the iPP screen is so much more nicer than the Air2, I just couldn't go back to it, even when I felt the smaller size was easier to hold. Then eventually, I just got used to having the big tablet in my lap. The 9.7 Pro screen is probably as good or even better than the one on 12.9, but the 12.9 serves both my leisure and productivity needs, whereas the 9.7 always felt a bit lacking as a productivity device. Very happy with 12.9, and no plans to go back to 9.7. Perhaps might pick up a mini one of these days, if I have some extra funds.

23. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Best is price matching staples. 128g wifi for $800.
    I didn't want to invest into the 12.9 with it seemingly in a mid cycle status.
    The 12.9 will need to undergo a significant transformation for an upgrade to be considered.

24. kallyq thread starter macrumors regular

I ended up buying the big one and am trying it out now. So far I like it! PDF textbooks look great....I've only had it for a few minutes

25. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Question on the video....I'm realizing that the video is basically cut in half with the black top/bottom bars that are always on the screen. When I go to make them smaller the whole thing zooms in way too much.

Is this a screen resolution issue?