Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nearly four months after release, the new 12-inch MacBook is starting to become available for personal pickup in Apple Stores in the United States. Previously, some stores have had sporadic stock for walk-in customers, but it now appears that stock is substantial enough for Apple to offer personal pickup.

macbookpersonalpickup.png

The personal pickup option isn't universal yet however, with only select configurations at select stores being available. For example, the 256 GB Silver MacBook is not available for personal pickup in New York, NY while the 256 GB Space Gray is widely available.

While some Apple Stores and Best Buys have had sporadic stock for walk-ins, most Apple Stores around the world have only had the unit on display. In the MacRumors' forums, users have been reporting which stores around the world have had the new MacBook on display, whether they were available to purchase or not and how many units they had left in stock.

The MacBook is currently showing shipping estimates of at least 1 - 2 weeks when ordered online. Comparatively, both the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro are showing shipping estimates of at least 1 business day.

Pricing for the 12-inch MacBook starts at $1,299 for the entry-level model with 256 GB of storage while the higher-end model starts at $1,599 with 512 GB of storage and a slightly faster dual-core Intel Core M processor.

Article Link: 12-Inch MacBook Now Available in Apple Retail Stores via Personal Pickup

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
Well, after several months from their release.

This Macbook represents a trend, but not the one I like.

Too few ports (I hate PC with too few ports), underpowered specs, plus current buggy Yosemite. These simply pushes me away from it.

Last edited:
Comment

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
I've honestly never seen a Mac that I had absolutely no interest in, until the Retina MacBook. It's just too underpowered. Even if it's "enough" for someone now, a laptop as underpowered as the Retina MacBook isn't going to have anywhere near the longevity of any of Apple's other offerings. It's thin, it's light, but everything else is worse. I can honestly say I do not see a single reason to buy it. It's short-sighted to even consider it.

Comment

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Four months after release? Hah, how can you call it a release when nobody could get the fabled thing. It was like trying to spot unicorns. My husband waited for ages and had a helluva time getting his MacBook in time for a trip. He had help not readily available to non business customers.

Call me old fashioned but "released" means it's actually out and about for the rest of us unconnected peons to get our hands on it. I'm picky and grumpy that way.

Comment

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
I've honestly never seen a Mac that I had absolutely no interest in, until the Retina MacBook. It's just too underpowered. Even if it's "enough" for someone now, a laptop as underpowered as the Retina MacBook isn't going to have anywhere near the longevity of any of Apple's other offerings. It's thin, it's light, but everything else is worse. I can honestly say I do not see a single reason to buy it. It's short-sighted to even consider it.
I don't see the appeal either but my husband likes it for road warrior work.

Comment

lawgone1

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2015
I really don't understand this MacBook or its positioning. Everyone wanted a MacBook Air with Retina screen and instead they give us something so freaking thin that you can't even have more than one plug for it. I loved that I could take my MacBook Air and easily hook it up to a monitor. This thing though is dongle city. What's the point in being that thin that you're going to need a dongle? I still want a MacBook Air with Retina screen but I guess that won't be happening.

Comment

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
I really don't understand this MacBook or its positioning. Everyone wanted a MacBook Air with Retina screen and instead they give us something so freaking thin that you can't even have more than one plug for it. I loved that I could take my MacBook Air and easily hook it up to a monitor. This thing though is dongle city. What's the point in being that thin that you're going to need a dongle? I still want a MacBook Air with Retina screen but I guess that won't be happening.

I completely agree. I want to upgrade but I'm waiting now as I know the 12 macbook is not for me. I just don't see the point in investing in all new adapters, connectors, and dealing with all the hassle of one port. It's like they only thought of design and completely forgot about functionality.

Hopefully future generations will have wireless charging and they come up with something to improves the utility of it. If not I'll stick with the macbook airs (hopefully they don't get hobby status or get updated as often as the mac mini).

Comment

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Couldn't have said it better. Went to the Apple store the other day, played around with every other computer in the store, then I played with the MacBook... It was so sluggish in comparison. I thought Apple learned their lesson about releasing gimped launch products with the original Air, but apparently not...

Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
You don't like that a product is so popular that orders are coming in faster than they can be manufactured?
Yeah. I personally don't like it.

I like iPhone but there are still more users using android phones. Same logic.

Apple needs to try to satisfy more customers, who can pay more than $700 on computer or phone, with ease.

Comment

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

You could have just said : It's not for me... And left it at that...
Considering it took 4 months to get sufficient stocks, Its probably safe to say it is doing AOK despite you not getting it.

Last edited:
Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
$1299 MacBook: 1.1 GHz Core M, 8GB of RAM, Intel HD 5300

$1299 MacBook Pro: 2.7 GHz Core i5, 8GB of RAM, Intel Iris 6100

10x the processing power, 8x more ports, larger screen, killer battery life. I know which one I'd pick.
Yeah. You have a good choice.

Apple is simply creating a, brand product.

One I hate most of my Macbook Air is it has only two USB ports. And this Macbook, has only ONE port! Out.

Reactions: Mums and Soccertess
Comment

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Yeah. I personally don't like it.

I like iPhone but there are still more users using android phones. Same logic.

Apple needs to try to satisfy more customers, who can pay more than $700 on computer or phone, with ease.

Really?
Same logic when Android is bought mainly for being cheap?
Are people buying Apple, and especially this expensive travel computer because it's cheap?

Apple can't satisfy all users than can lay $700 down with a single product (or even 10 products); someone won't have 100% of their needs met.

Last edited:
Comment

Everett96

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2015
I currently have the white unibody macbook from 2010, which was the newest macbook model until this new one. By today's standards my macbook is very underpowered, and probably won't last much longer. I've been wondering though, which macbook would be better? Like which would be able to play games, edit video, etc better? The obviously work fine for web browsing, but I guess my question is for me would buying this new macbook be much of an upgrade?

Comment

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
I completely agree. I want to upgrade but I'm waiting now as I know the 12 macbook is not for me. I just don't see the point in investing in all new adapters, connectors, and dealing with all the hassle of one port. It's like they only thought of design and completely forgot about functionality.

Hopefully future generations will have wireless charging and they come up with something to improves the utility of it. If not I'll stick with the macbook airs (hopefully they don't get hobby status or get updated as often as the mac mini).
Wireless charging is the only thing I can think of that would make the single port make sense, even if only barely. I'd still like a second port... Regardless, the innards will always be what they are: Bottom of the line. Why? Well, it's just too darn thin, and it has no ventilation. This means that the choice of components Apple can use in this is going to always be incredibly limited. It will always use bottom of the line components, with a display too high-res for it to handle.

Comment

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Yeah. You have a good choice.

Apple is simply creating a, brand product.

One I hate most of my Macbook Air is it has only two USB ports. And this Macbook, has only ONE port! Out.

Well, great for you that you are not buying it... Guess that's why they were back ordered for 4 months.
BTW, I can barely read your posts because there are so many missing/wrong words and weird syntax.

Comment

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Wireless charging is the only thing I can think of that would make the single port make sense, even if only barely. I'd still like a second port... Regardless, the innards will always be what they are: Bottom of the line. Why? Well, it's just too darn thin, and it has no ventilation. This means that the choice of components Apple can use in this is going to always be incredibly limited. It will always use bottom of the line components, with a display too high-res for it to handle.

So, it's not for you, and all those waiting in a virtual line for it, for 4 months, must have been wrong about their own preference...

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Still not available for (non-Apple) Employee Purchase Program.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.