Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NapoleonIV

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
Wow with that discount the Macbook is… still a worse computer that is STILL more expensive than the macbook air.

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
I have a 15" 2013 Pro that is doing great but with my Adobe apps and financial info on it I don't take it out of the house. I bought a used 13" 2012 Air from work that I love to bring back and forth from home to work. I use it to pay bills and light email during lunch. With 2 kids at home I don't have time to do that stuff there. Im considering selling the Air to get the MacBook myself. It would fit in the bag better and it has a much nicer screen. Really thats all I need.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I'm not quite sure why you think this is the case, but Apple doesn't control the price to the consumer. That's entirely up to the retailer. It simply depends on how much profit they want to make. B&H, Best Buy, etc. are Apple's customer in that instance. Apple makes it's money when the product ships to the retailer, not our hands.

Early adopters don't get screwed. They make a choice to purchase an item knowing there will be an update with more features. They can choose to wait or decide the current offering fits their needs. Always has been, always will be. The 2nd gen MB will have more features than the 1st, the 3rd more than the 2nd, and the 4th more than the third.

I am pretty sure you are not allowed to sell it for a lower price, Apple sets it's prices, if you don't agree you won't be a reseller.

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
... the Macbook (which I think is the future of the broad consumer Laptops; not for prosumer) has only one USB Port, which is fine, if you think of it as a iPad with a Keyboard and OSX (and bad if you compare it to a MBP or MBA).

That's exactly how I view the Macbook.

Best Buy had a promotion similar to this over the holidays for one weekend. I bought the low-end model for $999, and love it. I was considering an iPad Pro, but the Apple keyboard wasn't widely available yet, and the Logitech Create didn't impress me with its weight.

For me, the Macbook at $999 competed favorably with the iPad Pro + keyboard option, considering you also get OS/X versus iOS.

I was also coming from an 11" 2012 Macbook Air, which was my favorite traveling Mac, but it barely got 5 hours of battery life and didn't have a Retina Display.

So, I get the best features of an iPad (weight, screen) and the Macbook Air (OS/X) in one package, and for my use case (Office apps, web research, light duty photo retouching, and email/messaging), it's a great computer.

JohnPhamlore

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
I agree, I have the 12" Macbook and run Windows 10 with VMware Fusion, runs beautifully, I was very pleasantly surprised by this, especially as, at the point of purchase I thought I would just use it for travelling and accessing web apps. You really cannot judge this machine until you have one, for me this definitely "could" be a Macbook Air killer..... I also own several other "Top Spec." Macbook Pro's and I very rarely feel I am missing out with my 12".

Of course it runs Windows 10 perfectly fine in VMware Fusion since it comes with 8GB of RAM standard?

applefan

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2003
No. Cal.
Buying from B&H will eliminate sales tax for some people. If I buy from Apple on-line store, it's $1412.42, but from B&H I'm not charged sales tax, so I save $413.42. That's pretty good I think. Apple Care is $25 less at B&H too.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Are you sure this is not a valentine's day special? It ends Feb 15. Still a whole month away from Apple's March event.

If this holiday sells some iPads it will make Apple happy. I believe they are giving these stores "incentives" to sell these devices as they do not want to discount them on the Apple site. I trust Apple knows what it is doing.

Cobalt50

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
Man, oh man, is this tempting! I said I would buy the Rev 2 in March. But this is a great price. However, I think Rev 2 is going to bring a little bit more than Skylake. I wouldn't be too happy if Rev 2 made this edition look crippled.

geraldem

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2015
Man, oh man, is this tempting! I said I would buy the Rev 2 in March. But this is a great price. However, I think Rev 2 is going to bring a little bit more than Skylake. I wouldn't be too happy if Rev 2 made this edition look crippled.
Yeah but I am not convinced they are goin to update the rMB in March. Also if they do, at this price it will be easy to sell on EBay and get one if the improvements are worth it. I just could not pass up

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
But even with price match, you will still have the difference of sales tax. I do not believe Best Buy price match includes that difference.

I rather pay sales tax then deal with their return policy. I also live in NYC so I pay sales tax there anyways

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.