128 gig iPad3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cplush, Feb 9, 2012.

1. cplush macrumors member

anyone think we will see a 128 gig ipad3? my 64 is starting to get cramped what with all the apps/magazines/books...and a retina display will only exacerbate the problem with larger graphics files.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Imposible to say :) Apple might keep the storage spaces the same to force people to use iCloud...

3. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

Really hope so.....Retina display, quad core proc, and 128GB and that's me sold....

iCloud's great.....when there's decent connectivity, but there's no substitute for having it all local ( at least that way, I get to listen to my songs with naughty words in :) ).

4. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I think apple will drop the 16gb ipad sorta similarly with the iphone when they killed the 4gb version. I've always thought the 16gb ipad is a bit too small. The minimum should be 32gb version. Of course, that would put the 64gb as the medium if they bring up the 128gb.

The reason is about icloud.. A lot people use their ipads when there isnt 3G or wifi, and of course the extra storage can be used anywhere = like some planes don't have wifi.

5. Tones2, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

Tones2 macrumors 65816

If though I myself would LOVE 128 GB, there's no way that Apple does this anytime soon. No other tablet has more than 32 GB built in with an extra 32 GB on a card, so there is no competitive pressure to go higher. Plus, 64 GB chips are still pretty darn expensive, and this would need two of them. I don't think they will put out a $1000 iPad in this ecomomy, which it will probably have to cost.

Plus, there is no way that Apple gives up Retina, quad core, Siri, 1 GB RAM, 4G and 128 GB in one update. They ALWAYS hold back. Most likely we get Retina, quad core, 1 GB and Siri MAXIMUM this time. And they'll save 4G and 128 GB for the next release, which of course are the main two things I want. :)

Tony

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You may not quite realize that, but if someone wants to have access to 64 GB more music or videos then fit into the iPad, then iCloud isn't going to do it. How much fun is it accessing 64 GB of videos through 3G? When AT&T is throttling "unlimited" plans when the user exceeds 2 GB per month?

7. PerfectDB macrumors regular

Apple has a habit of increasing memory capacity every couple of generations; 3GS had 32GB, then no increase for the 4, then 64GB for the 4S.

Given the ipad has had the same memory for the last 2 years, I think it's all but certain we'll see a 128GB iPad 3.

I'll certainly be buying one.

8. Zcott macrumors 68020

Nonsense. With iCloud, the need for space actually decreases, meaning the 16gb might even be more popular. With all your music in the cloud you won't need to sync it, and likewise with photos.

Plus, the reason they killed the 4gb iPhone is because it just wasn't big enough at all, and sales reflected that. The 4gb was dumped quickly in favour of the 8gb, and that was reflected on the iPhone 3G. Had 16gb not been enough for iPad, it would have been discontinued for iPad 2.

9. zephyrnoid macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

in 1991, one year after starting a class that was networked via ethernet, the server crashed and we all lost our class files. From that day on I was convinced that content had to be on the 'client' ;even if applications were on the server. The apple icloud and indeed, other cloud models are the exact opposite, placing personal content ( and privacy ) at huge risk. Forget the cloud. big brother lives in the cloud.
    A recent development my Motorola of a circuit three molecules in size , through nanotechnology, means that Moore's law gets yet another big boost in a few years, and with that, More,Faster, Denser, Cheaper= Better (like her tight sweater ;) Forget the cloud for content.

10. yegon macrumors 68020

I want max capacity to enable the highest possible quality locally stored video, and freedom to have as many apps/podcast etc as I want. Streaming is fine if a) you're always near a solid wifi connection or b) you can tolerate low bitrate files over 3G.

Myself, I'm out and about all the time through work, so no wifi and, though I always go 3G, I'd much rather watch hd mkv's than flakey, buffered low bitrate video. Urgh.

That said, really can't see a 128gb iPad this year, how on EARTH would Apple keep the price down if it does indeed have all the other rumoured specs? I'd happily drop £1K on a beastly iPad deluxe, but it's not happening.

11. NDDL05 macrumors member

iPod Touch has been stuck at 64GB for multiple generations now. I think the same will be true of the iPad, unfortunately. I'm always in favor of more storage.

12. SgtBullmoose macrumors member

I bet when we see iTextbooks take off, we'll see the end of the 16GB iPad and the intro of a 128 or even 256GB iPad. Until then, probably not.

13. MrKennedy macrumors member

Isn't flash storage still outrageously expensive? If Apple is feeling generous, maybe we'll get a 128gb option.

I think this year's iPad release will have the same storage offerings of 16, 32, and 64.

14. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Doesn't the iPad currently use 2 flash modules for its memory? I wonder if there is room for a 3rd...so say 3 32GB chips = 96GB. Is there something technically stopping them from doing something like that?

I would think using 2 64GB chips to make 128GB would be massively expensive.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I find there is liitle need for over my 64gb unless Apple let me set up folders and store Office files.

16. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Agreed, I would love to be able to have folders to store PDF's etc other than the apps that only have limited storage space.

Do you think apple does that so we might be compelled to buy a 13" MacBook air.

17. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

Even if the price is over a grand? I can maybe see a retina display iPad for some specialty markets and a 128gb option for textbooks, but would all textbooks really require that much resolution?

18. cplush thread starter macrumors member

by the time i got a smart cover and tax my ipad2 was almost a grand (3g 64 gig), so a hundred or two more wouldn't necessarily put me off. the ability to have a couple movies/tv series and all my music would be great. iTunes Match isn't very handy on a plane.

19. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

I honnestly doubt it, I think Apple's politic is now gravitating around the Cloud... Not a bad choice at all if you ask me, allthough personnally I have never used it, 64gB is more than enough for my needs!
    Have a good day :)

20. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

In the iPod touch they are using 2x32 GB instead of 1x64 GB because of the extra space (compared to the iPhone).

I'm not sure, but I think Apple is doing the same with the iPad. So a 16 GB model is 2x8GB, 32 GB 2x16GB and 64 GB 2x32GB.

Although very unlikely, they could always do this:

24 GB model: 1x8 GB and 1x16 GB (instead of 2x16 GB) at $499
    48 GB model: 1x16 GB and 1x32 GB (instead of 2x32 GB) at $599
    96 GB model: 1x32 GB and 1x64 GB (instead of 2x64 GB) at $699

As I said, it is very unlikely but if they want to increase the storage without too many extra costs, this would be a good solution.

21. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Soon.

22. igazza macrumors 6502a

igazza

I think its harder to make profit off the entry level model. ending with 128Gb means starting at 32. :)

23. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

Sure, why not? I paid more for my Air, and yet I use that and my iPad 1 about the same, for personal and for work. The amount of storage is fairly important to me as I'd be able to load a lot of my media ( iTunes Match is a no-go, as I work away in places with virtually no 3G, and slow WiFi ), which means I'd also be able to manage with taking less kit....

24. Liquinn Suspended

If Apple did this then surely the iPod touch 764gB would fall in price?

Cheers

25. WSR macrumors regular

128GB should be the minimum top end.

1. With a higher resolution display, the videos files are going to be bigger.
    2. Not all of us, like myself, want iCloud.
    3. And even with iCloud, many will get just a Wifi version, making iCloud not always available, or at least limited to the available bandwidth.