128gb over 64gb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kenyon Hicks, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Kenyon Hicks macrumors member

Kenyon Hicks

It seems like everyone is leaning towards 128gb over 64gb, is the extra space really needed or worth it?

2. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

If your someone that plans on taking a lot of pictures and 4K video then yes the 128GB would be the smart move. If you just plan on taking pictures here and there then 64GB will be fine for you. 128GB also has a high resell value.

3. dsc888 macrumors 6502

I went up to 128 Gb from my current 64 Gb iPhone 6 after only owning the phone for about 10 months and only having 16 Gb of storage left. I shoot a lot of videos and picture and backup regularly but keep most of it on the phone to show off to family instantly or where there may not be internet access. 4K video will eat up a lot more space. It's the future and I can enjoy the higher resolution on my rMBP now until I get a 4K TV later. So yeah, go with 128 if you plan on shooting video...especially if you plan on using the highest resolution.

4. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I've going to go 64G, but I always move stuff off the phone - you never know if you'll lose it or damage it. The only thing I max out is iPads, that's so I can put on what I want, but it's data I have else where/programs and mostly films.

Buy what meets your needs/usage patterns.

5. ziggo macrumors 6502

ziggo

I have 69.6MB left on my 64GB so yes, for me, 128GB is indeed necessary. Especially considering the fact that I'll be taking LOTS of Live Photos

6. maddogzombie macrumors newbie

maddogzombie

I'm a hoarder; I don't like to rely on the cloud to be available to stream media wherever I might be. I have a 64gb now, but find that I consistently run within 5gb of the cap. So, for me, it's worth upgrading to 128gb. If you are more of a streamer than a hoarder, it may not be worth it for you.

7. Kenyon Hicks thread starter macrumors member

Kenyon Hicks

See same here I take a lot of pics or some videos but I usually just put everything on my Dropbox or some type of storage just to always have it just in case but gets tiring sometimes transferring all those pics! I really don't want to pay the extra money for more GB if it's going to go to waste. I ordered the 64gb!!

8. philbo7 macrumors regular

philbo7

I have at least 60 GB of music I could put on it. I take cross country road trips on my vacations and can bluetooth to the car stereo. This way I don't have to pay for Sirius XM and don't have to use up data streaming music all day. So 128 GB for me.

9. wksj macrumors member

I'm using a 128GB Macbook Pro 13" Mid-2014. My iPhone 6 is 16GB and I still have more than 9GB available.
    That means it depends on how you're going to use it, not how others use it.

10. Kenyon Hicks thread starter macrumors member

Kenyon Hicks

I'm really thinking about getting a 128gb but I know it's going to be a pain to switch out the 64gb for the more GB definitely in store!! Even worst with sending the phone back to CS

11. iNinja08 macrumors regular

iNinja08

128 is the best value by a 2:1 ratio from the 64gb , and a 6.2:1 ration from the 16gb (in relation to the 6s+ full price)

16GB=$47 per gb
    64GB=$14 per gb
    128GB=$7.50 per gb

12. Kenyon Hicks thread starter macrumors member

Kenyon Hicks

I'm going to see how this 64gb works out!! I have always purchased a 16gb and would usually have about 1gb left to play with so I'm thinking 64gb should be fine

13. dave420 macrumors 65816

Same thing here. My 64 GB 5s is constantly full and I can't even take a picture. Extra storage is probably one of the things I am looking for the most in the new model. I can definitely understand 64 GB being enough for most people though.

14. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Back in the good old days, swapping out a 40GB HDD on my Athlon laptop with a 160GB HDD would actually make the machine run faster, because of some platter density benefits. Does iOS behave the same? Are there any perceptible speed differences between a 16GB model and a 128GB model?

15. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

I'm going for 128 so that I can be sure that I won't have to worry about managing storage.

16. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Typically the resale value difference is smaller than the price difference when new.

With the iPhone 6 there was a difference; the 64GB and 128GB were significantly faster

17. Che Castro macrumors 603

If your on next at&t plan there's no reason to get the 64gb over the 128gb

One is $28 a month and the other $31 for the 24 plan

18. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

is it needed? maybe not but i don't want to ever be worried about space...I can take unlimited pics, videos and downloads films without worrying.

19. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I have 14.6 GB so space left on my 128GB 6 plus hence why I've ordered a 128GB iPhone 6S plus.

20. jhill-evans macrumors member

Don't ask but I bought the 16GB which arrives tomorrow. (from apple.com) however I have learnt from my mistake and ordered the 64GB but it won't arrive till 2nd - 9th October.

Going to be a long wait :(

21. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've used 75GB of my 128GB so I wouldn't consider less than 128GB now.

Having said that, though, 33GB of that space is my iCloud Photo Library that is stored entirely on the phone (even though I have optimise space turned on - presumably because I do have so much space)

22. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I'm going with 64GB as I did with the Plus. Floated around 24GB free so no need for more space at this time.

23. Kenyon Hicks thread starter macrumors member

Kenyon Hicks

It has already been a long wait

24. Kenyon Hicks thread starter macrumors member

Kenyon Hicks

I have T-Mobile

25. Digitalee macrumors member

I haven't filled my 64gb 5S in quite some time (about 22gb remaining), but going to the 6S+ I plan on using some of that overhead on media and games which I haven't found as useful on the smaller 5S screen. So I went with the 128gb. Also when you are talking $5/month for 20 payments to double the storage, it's a much easier call.

I'm also hoping having all that free space encourages me to take more pictures and videos without storage fears. Oh and I plan on continuing my good streak of only upgrading every 2 years, so I want the best phone now so I can stave off the FOMO (although I've done surprisingly well - after upgrading from iPhone 3 to 3GS to 4 to 4S, I've been able to skip to 5S and 6S+ without too much palpitations and cold sweats.)