Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

wootdawg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
usa
http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/04/dell-xps-m1330-performance-ultraportable-revealed/

It would be the pretty close to the perfect laptop hardware wise if it were a mac. The dell case isn't so great imo, but if apple could get that hardware in a macbook, it'd be awesome.

-Compact design
-LED Lit Screen
-32GB SSD HD
-C2D W/ Santa Rosa
-8400M GPU
-HDMI
-WWAN
-2MP Webcam Edit: I see it's only VGA with the LED screen
-4Lbs.

Come on apple, release a macbook thin/mini with the above specs. :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I do have to admit that it's probably the best looking notebook Dell has made in a long time. Huh. Wonder if it will be anything like that when it comes to market.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
13.3", LED Backlit, Santa Rosa Laptop... from Dell

Engadget reveals some early marketing material for a new Dell notebook which carries a familiar and appealing set of specs:

- 13.3-inch screen, configurable with LED backlight
- Core 2 Duo processor (up to 2.4GHz)
- Santa Rosa chipset (965PM/GM)
- Slot-loading dual-layer DVD±RW drive!
- Optional NVIDIA GeForce Go 8400M GS / 128MB
- Ethernet, 802.11a, a/g, or n options, Bluetooth option
- Dimensions with LED 12.5 x 9.4 x 0.87 - 1.33-inches (318 x 238 x 22.1 - 33.8mm)
- Weight starts at 4 pounds

The new Dell "ultraportable" carries an internal design that many have been hoping for from a new Apple MacBook Pro. Indeed, there have been rumors that Apple would be incorporating the Santa Rosa chipset and LED backlit displays into their own "ultraportable" design.

Apple is expected to release new MacBook Pros in the morning (Tues, June 5th), but whether or not they will represent more than just a minor bump remains unknown.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
I think Apple have been left behind in the computer business now... there is absolutely NO buzz surrounding their computer hardware anymore... it's all iPhone/iPod.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Wow... its even got a built in iSight (I mean webcam).

Not sure how much I like the giant "DELL" on the screen hinge though.

But if I hadn't already sold myself on a Mac, this would give me something to think about (although I'd like to see a price).

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I thought this was MacRumors, not Engadget.

It's not like Dell is manufacturing these motherboards. What's available to Dell is available to Apple...

as for why not a MacBook with these specs... yeah, the price is not given, but it's presumably high. :)

arn

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I want to know the price of this Dell..It isn't going to be $1299.
It's the XPS line so it should start off with the GMA X3100 at around $1,199.

Anyone know what the display's resolution is? What would a MBP resolution be with LED? Same or better?
Probably the standard 1280 x 800.

So what is the possibility that Dell will be selling a laptop featuring MacOSX?
Yeah, right. Have fun with OSx86 though.

RoDe

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2006
Mhhh, I hope Apple Is gonna make something like this soon. However I think that if this would have been MBP specs that the only thing not so good is the intel graphicscard. Shared graphics mem. in a pro computer is just not acceptable (this however is my opinion).
But for the rest Dell has got it pretty much nailed. Except for the OS and the design and built quality.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
A Dell Laptop on Macrumors ? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Btw - my Dell D420 just crashed today w/ BlueScreen. Yeah! During an important meeting. Hence I work from home I finished the meeting on my iMac G5.

Don't blame me for having a Dell - its my companys decision not mine.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I think Apple have been left behind in the computer business now... there is absolutely NO buzz surrounding their computer hardware anymore... it's all iPhone/iPod.

Oh be quiet, just because you can't get what you want from Apple today.

Personally, a 13.3 inch screen isn't appealing, I want a 12".

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Keep in mind these are renders and early marketing materials... it might be worthwhile to suspend at least some small portion of judgment pending Dell actually physically releasing or at least finalizing this product! ;)

Now... if it came pre-installed with a competent Ubuntu adaptation... I don't know... just maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.