Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polymersayb

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Me too! I'm really hoping to see some battery life increases in the rMBP, but I also would like a quad core processor and Iris Pro graphics... We'll just have to wait and see what Apple decides for us.

An example of what I don't want: this laptop from System76 that is specced exactly like I want it, but that probably lasts 2 hours on a battery (52Wh for real? At least you can swap the battery...). On the other hand, if the rMBP gets the same graphics as the Air that would be very sad too.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
I think a new MBA is in my future towards the fall time. I took my rMBP 13 back because the UI lag was getting on my nerves, but I also don't need a powerful laptop to cart along with me. MBA 11 or 13 would be perfect to do some small work with when I'm out shooting .. bigger screen than the 3" on my DSLR!

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Trust me when I tell you that Apple is working on the best battery life for all its products. It is, however, limited by the laws of physics and the current state of technology.

What credentials do you have that we should trust you?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It would be nice if this news post touched on the fact that multiple reviews are griping about the fact that Macbook Air development has largely stagnated; in addition to the aforementioned positives.

Almost 13 hours in the Engadget battery test. Stagnating, my arse.

Haswell + MBA + Mavericks = 12+ hours

Haswell + MBP + Mavericks =

we need details
thank you :apple: we need it like hmmmm this fall ;)

Actually, that was Haswell + MBA + Mountain Lion.

You should see some improvement from using Mavericks, and a bit later more improvements because Mavericks shows you exactly which apps on your Mac are energy hogs, which will put pressure on developers to be more careful with energy use.

A review from Forbes found that the battery life would be somewhere between 8 and 9 hours under more strenuous use conditions. Competing 13" notebooks don't come close to reaching 12 hours of battery life without external batteries.
That wasn't really a review; it was a competition "how fast can we discharge the batteries".

Last edited:

smashie

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
Anyone seen a review or heard feedback on the 11" MBA? A big negative for

the 11" was also the poor battery life. If it performs up to apple's claims then

it might worth me upgrading :D

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
It would be nice if this news post touched on the fact that multiple reviews are griping about the fact that Macbook Air development has largely stagnated; in addition to the aforementioned positives.

True, but they also generally conclude that it is a design that works well and "if it ain't broke..."

I've been shopping around for ultraportables to compete with the Air, and while many other devices offer better features, they seem to lack the overall fit and finish that Macs are renowned for.

Take for example the new Sony Vaio Pro 11 and 13, which are thinner, lighter, have higher resolution screens (and touch screens!) and specwise seem to beat out the Air... except that, hmm, that keyboard seems to flex too much and the trackpad isn't always responsive. Oh, and the WiFi sometimes disconnects.

I think I'd rather have a slightly-outdated Mac that works all the time rather than a Windows machine with cutting edge specs but has issues with the build or quality or software drivers.

Last edited:

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
This is now a very compelling jump around machine. I wouldn't mind having this over an iPad in my bag as a companion to my work desktop.

Battery life was not that great before.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Wow.

If there were a way to drop another 512GB into the models already with 512GB, I'd dump my Hackintosh and any intentions of going with an iMac or Mac Pro and upgrade from my 2011 13" Air. Serious bumps in performance across the board.

My wife is looking at upgrading her 2008 MBP, so with this it might be time to upgrade across the board!

BL.

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
"Similar Windows machines" that were using Intel HD 4000, probably.

Those reviews really make you believe that GPUs are miraculous on Apple machines, which is a huge BS.

Yup.

Either the "Similar Windows machines" claim is made by Macrumors, or laptop magazine changed it. It currently reads "By comparison..." then lists the laptops

The Sony VAIO Pro 13 which netted 30 fps @ 1280x1024 uses a Intel HD4400

The ativ 9 and xps13 @ 1366 x 768 netted 33fps, both use an Intel HD4000

Its odd they don't mention the Acer Aspire S7-391-9886. it pushes 30fps at 1920x1080 and 41 fps @ 1366 x 768 using the HD4000

pscl

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2013
Me too! I'm really hoping to see some battery life increases in the rMBP, but I also would like a quad core processor and Iris Pro graphics... We'll just have to wait and see what Apple decides for us.

im so with u! lets hope apple will fullfill our dreams ;)

neatokino

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2006
I've had my 13" Air w 8GB RAM and 512GB HD for a day and a half now, and I kept it powered on all day yesterday, closing the lid when I didn't need to be on the computer. After 13 hours, I still had more than 50% charge on my battery. That's pretty amazing.

Benchmarks aside, this Air feels very speedy. I'm replacing a 3 year old 15" MacBook Pro with hi-res matte screen (which I loved), and I'll gladly take the drop in screen size and resolution for this lightweight portable with such great battery life. Just my 2 cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.