Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
I’m looking for a little advice please. I have a 13” MacBook Pro 2015 which came with Yosemite installed. About a year ago I upgraded to Sierra 10.12.6. My Mac was already quick but with Sierra it’s been even quicker, smoother and generally snappier. I would quite like to upgrade to Mojave but wanted to gauge other peoples opinions first, particularly those that have the same machine as me. I don’t want to risk switching to Mojave if there are bugs or if it isn’t quite as quick/snappy as Sierra is.

Can anyone offer any advice please, or is it still a bit soon to ask?

Reactions: !!!

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I went to HS, which I have found to be less stable than Sierra.

I’ll be doing a clean install of Mojave this week and if it’s not better than HS (I’m sure it will be) I’ll be going back to Sierra (not HS).

So, I guess I’ll let you know!

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I’m looking for a little advice please. I have a 13” MacBook Pro 2015 which came with Yosemite installed. About a year ago I upgraded to Sierra 10.12.6. My Mac was already quick but with Sierra it’s been even quicker, smoother and generally snappier. I would quite like to upgrade to Mojave but wanted to gauge other peoples opinions first, particularly those that have the same machine as me. I don’t want to risk switching to Mojave if there are bugs or if it isn’t quite as quick/snappy as Sierra is.

I have the same machine as you, and MacOS Mojave is running absolutely amazing. Very snappy, very fast UI, and just very fast overall performance. Highly recommend you come to MacOS Mojave! Though I did a clean install (as I do every year with each macOS release) and I think for best performance you and others should as well, however, that is obviously up to you!

Goodluck!

:apple:

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
I have the same machine as you, and MacOS Mojave is running absolutely amazing. Very snappy, very fast UI, and just very fast overall performance. Highly recommend you come to MacOS Mojave! Though I did a clean install (as I do every year with each macOS release) and I think for best performance you and others should as well, however, that is obviously up to you!

Goodluck!

Thanks SRLMJ23 for your feedback and thanks too Howard2k. I think I'll take the plunge and switch to Mojave.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
i think with mac u dont need clean install, i have been using my backup since my first mbp in 2008, and no weird glitches or slowdowns, osx is really solid, my windows pc on the other hand....have to clean install every year due to some weird hiccups.

Reactions: !!!

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
Finished installing it 5min ago on 2014 MBA 13" and Mojave is running great so far. Everything seems to be quicker and snappier.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i have a 13" 2015 mbp, and have been running mojave since the betas started, and all my apps work, and my mbp is running fast, and stable (which is all that i ask).

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017

2015 is still recent. Go to Mojave and don’t look back! The problems are for people with pre-retina MBPs, older MBAs and iMacs with hard drives/maybe even fusion drives as well.

Anything with a PCIe SSD (late 2013-present) will be great on Mojave.

tommyhayes

Suspended
Sep 25, 2018

I have this computer, 8/256 version. I had the latest version of OS 10.12. It was very fast. It reminded me of the last version of OS 9: meaning speed, speed and more speed!

10.14 in default settings is frustratingly sluggish. Turning off transparency and motion helped, but it's still slower. Apps start up more slowly: iTunes and word. Steam pinball doesn't work at all in highest resolution. It is VERY laggy at other resolutions.

I don't want to say it, but I straight up hate Mojave 14.0.

edit: the fonts and sizes have changed in my browsers as well, which is quite irritating. They're generally larger which should be good, but there are just too many arbitrary changes and the effect at least for me, is jarring.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

I'm on Mojave since yesterday and so far no complaints (13" 2015 Pro).

I have plenty of free disk space though (512 GB model), i suspect if your system drive is full (or close to it) it may impact performance.

tommyhayes

Suspended
Sep 25, 2018
4k 60fps vids are laggier than on Sierra. This update sucks. It sucks bad.

Perhaps the under the hood security upgrades make the update worth it. But in tangible aspects of the OS you can see, it's noticeably worse.

What's frustrating is that so many are reporting their computers are faster. Perhaps compared to high Sierra (which I never installed), but in comparison to .12/Sierra, absolutely not.

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
I'm on Mojave since yesterday and so far no complaints (13" 2015 Pro).

I have plenty of free disk space though (512 GB model), i suspect if your system drive is full (or close to it) it may impact performance.

I also have the 512 GB model and have tonnes of space. Overall the responses seem quite positive although I might just hold on a little longer before deciding. Thanks.

tommyhayes

Suspended
Sep 25, 2018
There's no way I'm doing a clean install. I've wasted enough time with this crappy update.

Also, my computer is running a few degrees hotter celsius with just light web browsing according to disk drill. I only have a few tabs open, and none are running videos.

How does apple turn out a full two years' worth of crappy OS updates when they are the largest and richest company on the planet. That doesn't seem to be possible.

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
There's no way I'm doing a clean install. I've wasted enough time with this crappy update.

Also, my computer is running a few degrees hotter celsius with just light web browsing according to disk drill. I only have a few tabs open, and none are running videos.

How does apple turn out a full two years' worth of crappy OS updates when they are the largest and richest company on the planet. That doesn't seem to be possible.

Could it be possible that – for whatever reason – you are experiencing problems that others aren’t? I only wondered as there are others reporting that their updates went well and Mojave is performing exceptionally well on their machines. Just a thought.

tommyhayes

Suspended
Sep 25, 2018
Could it be possible that – for whatever reason – you are experiencing problems that others aren’t? I only wondered as there are others reporting that their updates went well and Mojave is performing exceptionally well on their machines. Just a thought.

That's what I was thinking as well. Or, perhaps my expectations were too high. All I know is that performance lags at default and there is still a performance hit even turning off some of the graphics functions.

Word and iTunes open more slowly. Pinball arcade is very laggy. I finally got it to work after at least a half dozen crashes. And it's not an especially demanding program.

I updated to iOS 12 with no problems on my iPad. I noticed little if any difference before and after. I suppose I'm especially sensitive to the performance of my computer since I use it so often.

Updating to .14 took a few hours of my day which is why I'd be miffed to revert to .12 after just a day. Seems like a waste of time.

As you might be able to guess I am very very frustrated with this update. I'm 50/50 on reinstalling .12. I don't get the whoa this is cool factor at all, which I totally expected. Instead, I have a 'crap why did I upgrade' feeling and it's not fun at all.

I'll wait for some confirmation that time machine can be used to reinstall and revert to .12 and then it's probably a go within a week.

I'm still at a loss as to how apple can invest two years of development and come up with two consecutive crappy system updates. It's difficult not to suspect that apple's employees are of lower and lower quality with each passing year. Arent they the most prestigious brand in the world? Can't they attract a higher caliber of recruits?

This update and the terrible reviews for high Sierra have me very confused and frustrated.

With all of the money they have, shouldn't apple be collabing with Tesla to establish colonies on mars? I can't even play a pinball simulation that doesn't lag and it's 2018!

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
That's what I was thinking as well. Or, perhaps my expectations were too high. All I know is that performance lags at default and there is still a performance hit even turning off some of the graphics functions.

Word and iTunes open more slowly. Pinball arcade is very laggy. I finally got it to work after at least a half dozen crashes. And it's not an especially demanding program.

I updated to iOS 12 with no problems on my iPad. I noticed little if any difference before and after. I suppose I'm especially sensitive to the performance of my computer since I use it so often.

Updating to .14 took a few hours of my day which is why I'd be miffed to revert to .12 after just a day. Seems like a waste of time.

As you might be able to guess I am very very frustrated with this update. I'm 50/50 on reinstalling .12. I don't get the whoa this is cool factor at all, which I totally expected. Instead, I have a 'crap why did I upgrade' feeling and it's not fun at all.

I'll wait for some confirmation that time machine can be used to reinstall and revert to .12 and then it's probably a go within a week.

I'm still at a loss as to how apple can invest two years of development and come up with two consecutive crappy system updates. It's difficult not to suspect that apple's employees are of lower and lower quality with each passing year. Arent they the most prestigious brand in the world? Can't they attract a higher caliber of recruits?

This update and the terrible reviews for high Sierra have me very confused and frustrated.

With all of the money they have, shouldn't apple be collabing with Tesla to establish colonies on mars? I can't even play a pinball simulation that doesn't lag and it's 2018!

If other people aren’t having issues, then your problems have nothing to do with Apple.

Bad and faulty installs do happen all the time and you just happen to fall in to that percentage of people.

Perform a fresh install from scratch, several times in a row if you have to.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I’ve done a clean install. Well, still in progress, it’s a long process.

So far so good.

tommyhayes

Suspended
Sep 25, 2018
If other people aren’t having issues, then your problems have nothing to do with Apple.

Bad and faulty installs do happen all the time and you just happen to fall in to that percentage of people.

Perform a fresh install from scratch, several times in a row if you have to.

What are you talking about? I installed Mojave by updating through the App Store on a compatible computer. The OS is from apple. The hardware is from apple. I updated according to standard operating procedure, without any compatibility issues and this has nothing to do with apple? Dude, you are so far in denial, it's pathetic.
[doublepost=1538013763][/doublepost]

Goodluck!

I didn't get that impression at all. Apps open slower and the UI is a little laggier. This is subjective, but the esthetics are generally uglier as well. Sierra has small icons and fonts and generally looks sleek. Everything in Mojave is Bigger and in my subjective impression, uglier.

The jump from Sierra to Mojave reminds me a lot of switching from OS 9 to 10.1. Slower, bigger, uglier more garish icons and sluggishness.

I installed the update though without a clean install. Maybe I'll try again that way after a few .x releases. I'm in no rush right now. Graphics are slower all around: video games perform poorly, and the entire UI feels slower.

I'd like to see more reactions from people who simply updated rather than clean installed.

It seems like all of the apple publications are now unwilling to criticize apple. Apple should've been raked over the coals for High Sierra. Yet, barely a peep out of the major and not so major publications.

Everyone's doing affiliate marketing and can't afford to risk revenue by being objectively critical when it's called for.

Last edited:

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
What are you talking about? I installed Mojave by updating through the App Store on a compatible computer. The OS is from apple. The hardware is from apple. I updated according to standard operating procedure, without any compatibility issues and this has nothing to do with apple? Dude, you are so far in denial, it's pathetic.

I performed an update through App Store and I have zero issue with my 2014 MBA. So what are you talking about??
What’s your explanation as to why I have no issues with my MBA??

Reactions: HenryDJP

tommyhayes

Suspended
Sep 25, 2018
something's up with your mac, there's not much visual difference between HS and mojave, and it should run as fast, not slower. it's fine here on both my macbooks (i've been running all the betas), so no clean installs.

you may want to reinstall, or perhaps run first aid... or reset the pram. something. good luck

I restored Sierra. Same ol' reliable Sierra. Pinball Arcade still crashes but when it's up it runs a lot more smoothly. I lost the date added and ratings info but I have iTunes up and running again. I lost about a dozen audiobooks along the way as well. Perhaps I could restore those using the old hard drive.

Sierra is fast and reliable and looks cleaner and sleeker. Video game play is better. Sierra is just better. As I said before in other threads, I'll check back in after a few .x releases. Maybe. I might just skip it altogether. I don't trust apple very much these days on the Mac side.

I just updated my iPad to ios12 with zero issues so I don't understand why they can't design a properly updated OS X on the Mac side.

Perhaps the only positive I can take away from all of this is to be more cautious with future updates. Although I am a bit more appreciative of Sierra. It is fast and reliable and slick looking!

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
I went back to Sierra on my late '13 iMac. The fonts were a little blurry and when you open a PDF it was blurry until it was resized. Sierra is smooth, fast and stable for me. I do have Mojave on my 2012 Mini with a 23" Dell IPS HD monitor, fonts look OK on that but I can no longer wake it up from sleep with the keyboard or mouse. YMMV......Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.