Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I think that the new unibody design does look superior however both have their strengths and weaknesses, it comes down to your personal preference.

what exactly are the strengths the plastic macbook has over the unibody other than better wifi reception?

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
what exactly are the strengths the plastic macbook has over the unibody other than better wifi reception?

FW. This is amazing, but some people actually use it instead of playing games. Some use it for backups, photography, video work, etc.. Here is another amazing thing. Some think the new macbook is ugly. I don't, but I know plenty who do.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
FW. This is amazing, but some people actually use it instead of playing games. Some use it for backups, photography, video work, etc.. Here is another amazing thing. Some think the new macbook is ugly. I don't, but I know plenty who do.

Yes because you can't backup, use cameras or do video work with the new one! Apple ruined it! :rolleyes: All is lost.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005

they are probably ugly people.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Copycat or not, aluminum macbook > cracking, yellowing whitebook. There's just so many flaws with the plastic casing

i like the old ibooks best. they were a good thickness the only problem is the cracking. if apple would get away from the thin obsession and make a mbp that is 1.5 inches thick we could have quad core laptops.

I see comments like these all the time - how in the WORLD do all these MacBooks just spontaneously break? If you ask the owners of them, they never drop them, they never set anything on them, or stuff them into a backpack, or drop anything on them, etc. - they just break coz of poor build quality.

Whenever I hear a claim like that my BS detector goes haywire. I've had my white MacBook for two years now, I travel with it in my briefcase, I let my 3-year-old use it, and there's not one crack anywhere on it. Put a wrist rest cover on it and it doesn't even turn yellow, either.

I won't deny that aluminum is more durable than plastic, but come on, even plastic doesn't just break on its own.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I see comments like these all the time - how in the WORLD do all these MacBooks just spontaneously break? If you ask the owners of them, they never drop them, they never set anything on them, or stuff them into a backpack, or drop anything on them, etc. - they just break coz of poor build quality.

Whenever I hear a claim like that my BS detector goes haywire. I've had my white MacBook for two years now, I travel with it in my briefcase, I let my 3-year-old use it, and there's not one crack anywhere on it. Put a wrist rest cover on it and it doesn't even turn yellow, either.

I won't deny that aluminum is more durable than plastic, but come on, even plastic doesn't just break on its own.

Now you will get bashed.

I have owned 2--no cracks. Wife has had one for 2 yrs---no cracks. 3 friends have them--no cracks. No yellowing on their white ones either. I guess we are the only "lucky" ones. People come here a lot to complain of course. We all do, but take it for what it is. Plus many of the new people to Mac like to bash the old one for whatever reason.

Vikinguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
I think the new macbook is about the sexiest, most beautiful notebook computer I've ever seen by far.

showkati

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
Cupertino, California
Now you will get bashed.

I have owned 2--no cracks. Wife has had one for 2 yrs---no cracks. 3 friends have them--no cracks. No yellowing on their white ones either. I guess we are the only "lucky" ones. People come here a lot to complain of course. We all do, but take it for what it is. Plus many of the new people to Mac like to bash the old one for whatever reason.

well when people say that the white macbook is essentially the same thing as the aluminum one your obviously going to get a bad reaction. Its put them in a position to protect the 1300+ dollar computer they just invested in.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
well when people say that the white macbook is essentially the same thing as the aluminum one your obviously going to get a bad reaction. Its put them in a position to protect the 1300+ dollar computer they just invested in.

I'm fully aware you will. You even take shots at the old one in a threads dedicated to it. Don't worry about it. You have a different one. When others take shot after shot of the previous one, people will defend that one also. I find it funny.

FieryFurnace

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Berlin, Germany
After seeing the Al MB in real a couple of days ago, I must say, it is not that bad looking like I thought (judging from photos before). It has some kind of sexy look. ;)
But the Al MB also tends to look more like a PC laptop.

I would say the white MB has a 100% Mac-look.
The new Al MB has 64% Mac-look with 36% PC-look.

And I don't even think PC laptops look bad, it is just that the white MB was* more unique and the Al has a more common look.
*Was is important there, because today you can buy a bunch of white laptops, especially looking at netbooks, white is really common now.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Am I the only one who chuckles to himself at the "white macbooks actually look like a mac" comments? Does Apple even make any white products anymore? Airport extreme, Time Capsule, power blocks... anything else?

FieryFurnace

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Berlin, Germany
Am I the only one who chuckles to himself at the "white macbooks actually look like a mac" comments? Does Apple even make any white products anymore? Airport extreme, Time Capsule, power blocks... anything else?

For me (personally) and maybe some others too, white was the color of the Mac. Macs were white when I began to use them again, so my personal Mac-look is somehow associated with the color white.

That surely changed when Apple introduced the Al iMac and now with the Al MB, Apple totally left the white look.

I don't mean that the Al look is bad or anything - it is just totally different to the old white one.

I just need some more time to get used to it I think,... :D

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008

Apple must be going crazy.. :p Some people on this forum should start to run it! Then everything would be white and perfect ... :eek: HA.

Adamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
Whilst the aluminium casing is nice, I think I'd still prefer it without the black bezel and with firewire - but not the same size as a Pro. =/ It feels nice and all and the trackpad is pretty cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.