Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotzaiPhone

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
For me (personally) and maybe some others too, white was the color of the Mac. Macs were white when I began to use them again, so my personal Mac-look is somehow associated with the color white.

That surely changed when Apple introduced the Al iMac and now with the Al MB, Apple totally left the white look.

I don't mean that the Al look is bad or anything - it is just totally different to the old white one.

I just need some more time to get used to it I think,... :D

Ahhh, the aluminum reminds me of the good ole' days of the gray Apple II!!!

tournée d'adieu

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
I know one girl who was given the choice from her wealthy daddy to choose whichever macbook she wanted, ranging from the entry level white macbook to the back-lit keyboard aluminum. She chose the white macbook because it looked more like a mac, and was, from her perspective, cuter.

Of course, soon enough everyone will realize that aluminum is the new face of mac products, and people will begin to fetishize that...and we're all lying to ourselves if we say we don't like the aesthetics of mac products, be they plastic or aluminum. But anyway, I think it's just a matter of time, but for now, people still associate the white plastic with wealth/trendiness. Unless you're an early aluminum adopter, who probably thinks he or she truly is the trendy one.

For me personally, I think both have their own advantages and disadvantages, and while I like the reassuring sturdy feel of the aluminum macbook, it's not like the plastic ones aren't also sufficiently sturdy...these are expensive computers and aluminum or not, they should be last for years. This is sort of a tangent, but I'd urge anyone on the fence about either getting a plastic macbook or an aluminum one to really consider the internals of the computer, and try and fight their urge to get the latest and greatest. Now, and especially with black friday coming up, plastic macbooks are becoming an excellent value, with a refurb 2.4 white book at least $300 less than an aluminum one that is less powerful and lacks FW. If you upgrade your own memory on the 999 new white book, after sales that knock that down even more, that could be an amazing value.

However, for many people on these boards money is not an issue, and they will always pay for a new toy because a grand or two is nothing to them. But I'm not talking to them, I'm talking to the student/frugal individual who really wants to try a mac and has to scratch that itch...right now, plastic is the better value. And always seriously ask yourself if you really need a mac or if a pc will suffice...those are almost always more reasonably priced.

Ugh, sorry that got so long and preachy. The first paragraph or two was on topic! :p

showkati

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
Cupertino, California
I know one girl who was given the choice from her wealthy daddy to choose whichever macbook she wanted, ranging from the entry level white macbook to the back-lit keyboard aluminum. She chose the white macbook because it looked more like a mac, and was, from her perspective, cuter.

Of course, soon enough everyone will realize that aluminum is the new face of mac products, and people will begin to fetishize that...and we're all lying to ourselves if we say we don't like the aesthetics of mac products, be they plastic or aluminum. But anyway, I think it's just a matter of time, but for now, people still associate the white plastic with wealth/trendiness. Unless you're an early aluminum adopter, who probably thinks he or she truly is the trendy one.

For me personally, I think both have their own advantages and disadvantages, and while I like the reassuring sturdy feel of the aluminum macbook, it's not like the plastic ones aren't also sufficiently sturdy...these are expensive computers and aluminum or not, they should be last for years. This is sort of a tangent, but I'd urge anyone on the fence about either getting a plastic macbook or an aluminum one to really consider the internals of the computer, and try and fight their urge to get the latest and greatest. Now, and especially with black friday coming up, plastic macbooks are becoming an excellent value, with a refurb 2.4 white book at least $300 less than an aluminum one that is less powerful and lacks FW. If you upgrade your own memory on the 999 new white book, after sales that knock that down even more, that could be an amazing value.

However, for many people on these boards money is not an issue, and they will always pay for a new toy because a grand or two is nothing to them. But I'm not talking to them, I'm talking to the student/frugal individual who really wants to try a mac and has to scratch that itch...right now, plastic is the better value. And always seriously ask yourself if you really need a mac or if a pc will suffice...those are almost always more reasonably priced.

Ugh, sorry that got so long and preachy. The first paragraph or two was on topic! :p

2.0ghz macbook aluminum got a better overall score than the white macbook 2.4ghz in terms of performance.

http://www.macworld.com/article/136214/2008/10/macbookbenchmarks.html?t=204

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
the only thing I don't like about synthetic benchmarks is that they don't tell you how thing are weighted and how difference are reflected in real world performance. What does 3000 vs 2000 point score mean to my everyday work.

GrimmPenguin

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
I think I would like the MacBooks if it wasn't for the color scheme... AL and Black just looks hideous together. When they released the MacBook Air and I saw the black keyboard... I just wanted to crawl in a corner and shudder. I think if they would have made two macbooks, one solid Al, and one solid black, it would have been pretty nice! The black bezel around the screens is hideous! It reminds me of retro tiling on floors... you know the whole black and white checkered floors? It looks like they tried to put modern cutting edge technology in a chick and fashionable look of the 50's... like a 2010 cooking oven in a 1955 body. They also need to incorporate a black apple on the back if they really intend to go along with this color scheme.

I do like the glass bezel and trackpad though... I won't lie that's kinda nice!

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
They also need to incorporate a black apple on the back if they really intend to go along with this color scheme.

Black Apple? Like this...

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    248.2 KB · Views: 53

CoreyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
If the iMac has it, then why don't the new MacBooks/Pros don't have it?

Because it wouldnt light up anymore ? ....I personally love the light up apple logo on the back of the displays, Im pretty sure most would agree.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
For me (personally) and maybe some others too, white was the color of the Mac. Macs were white when I began to use them again, so my personal Mac-look is somehow associated with the color white.

That surely changed when Apple introduced the Al iMac and now with the Al MB, Apple totally left the white look.

I don't mean that the Al look is bad or anything - it is just totally different to the old white one.

I just need some more time to get used to it I think,... :D

I think you have a point here... It's a matter of OWNERSHIP as well... I mean, I don't have anything against the old MBs, but for some reason I waited for a while and the Alu MB is what caught my eye, and I made the jump from PC....
and TO ME personally the other MBs don't look as good in comparison...

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Actually the new Mac Book is not a "PC" look, it is a version of teh original Titanium Powerbook from Apple in terms of its styling... black keys on metal, thin looks etc. Why you think it looks like a "PC" is because all the PCs copied APPLE's Titanium Powerbook for years! Jonathan Ive, Apple's head designer, knows his industrial design.

And let's not forget that the new macbooks are lighter than the lightest mac previous to the Air -- the 12" Powerbook g4.

That was its selling point to me. It is half a pound lighter than the previous Macbooks and quite a bit thinner.

After seeing the Al MB in real a couple of days ago, I must say, it is not that bad looking like I thought (judging from photos before). It has some kind of sexy look. ;)
But the Al MB also tends to look more like a PC laptop.

I would say the white MB has a 100% Mac-look.
The new Al MB has 64% Mac-look with 36% PC-look.

And I don't even think PC laptops look bad, it is just that the white MB was* more unique and the Al has a more common look.
*Was is important there, because today you can buy a bunch of white laptops, especially looking at netbooks, white is really common now.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
I saw the alum MB in person today and I wasn't impressed. I must say when I make the jump it will be for the black or white MB.

This is what happened to me so I went with the blackbook (firewire helped too). With Apple laptops, it's usually "love at first sight or forget it" for me. Happened with the black MacBook, with the white iBook G3s, with the Powerbook G3s (Wallstreet/Lombard/Pismo), and with the Powerbook 2400c -- everytime "You've Got Mail" is on TV, I watch a few minutes just to see Meg Ryan and her 2400c.

Not a rational way to choose a Mac, but any Mac you get will be good so picking one doesn't have to be so rational :).

(I realize after typing this that you may have more logical reasons than me for not being impressed).

therealdt

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2008
northeast region
Not a rational way to choose a Mac, but any Mac you get will be good so picking one doesn't have to be so rational :).

(I realize after typing this that you may have more logical reasons than me for not being impressed).

No, not at all.

The pics in this thread are great, but up close and touching the Al MB didn't give me a feeling I expected. I've used a White MB before and it felt great.

So, I might go the Black MB route, because my son perfer it over the White MB. My 10 year old son even liked the "old" over the "new"...

Cancelled
Nov 18, 2008
i'm leaning towards the black macbook at the moment because of amazons $1088 price tag after rebate (and no tax)

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
All you really have to do is spend a couple minutes with the trackpads of the plastic and aluminum models.

The plastic trackpad feels like @!&% for lack of a better word... and the glass on the aluminum macbook is.. smooth as glass.

I wouldn't underestimate the importance of the trackpad since you will be using the trackpad more than anything else.

And about that lack of firewire... if most people used firewire then Apple would have included it. But since that is a minority of Macbook users.. its a waste of space. Are you really going to edit 1080P video in Final Cut with your Macbook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.