13" Pro's selling like crazy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EarthDawn, Jun 13, 2009.

1. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Stopped into the Apple Store in Roosevelt Field Mall in NY today for my girl to pick up a case for her macbook, and so I could nose around the store.
    So, I am there and its packed with customers but under control and lots of help. What I noticed during our 1/2 hour there was the train of 13" Mac Pro's leaving the store. There were several sitting on the desk in the back getting rung up as a girl came from the stock room with 2 more for waiting customers. As well there were at least 2-3 more people walking out with theres... All 13" Pro's .... it was like there was a fire sale or something. I'd love to know how many they sold in total today considering what I saw in just 1/2 hour.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

We'll find out soon when the sales data is released at the end of the quarter. :)

3. nws0291 macrumors 6502

The price drop plus back to school has these selling like crazy. I was in store waiting to make an exchange and saw about 5-7 of them being sold on friday.

4. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

That's pretty amazing. I think I've only seen Best Buy sell one laptop to a customer before. Are you sure they weren't the old unibody Macbooks though a a great discount?

5. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

I believe he said Apple Store.

I've also seen these selling like crazy. I work right next to an Apple Store, and I see tons of people walking through the parking garage with them.

6. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I remember when I bought my 2.0 MacBook in October. There were only a few customers, and I didn't see a whole bunch of customers actually buying the MacBook. I was probably the only one buying an Unibody MacBook. I just sold my MacBook for $1100 on CL and bought a MBP this evening. I stood next to the warehouse and I saw a whole bunch of employees carrying boxes of MBPs (assuming that they were 13" models) to the customers. This is going to be a very good seller. I can see PC users diminishing already.

7. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Okay, that mall is full of snotty little white kids who have nothing better to do except spend money. I can't stand walking through that place on a weekend.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah these things are selling like hotcakes. Was at the :apple: store on Friday and the things are so damn packed, it's as if they were giving things away, haha.

9. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

They pretty much are giving the things away!;)

10. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

No surprise there. Price drop, free iPod, and a better computer? Apple will have no trouble moving these things...

11. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

The Apple Store at Tysons Corner in VA has been ridiculous every time I've been it since the update. I saw one Air go out the door, one 15 inch go out the door, and probably 7-8 13 inch units go out the door.

People are really looking for high quality, high power, extremely portable, and reasonably priced laptops. The uMB and the 13 uMBP fit the bill perfectly. Apple really has a winner with this system.

The student discount and free iPod help a lot too. Most of the 13" units I saw going out the door were either bought by parents for their kids, or bought by college age looking young adults.

12. a13x macrumors member

Hey...my bro just came back from XSport 20 minutes ago! :D

13. mac88 macrumors 6502

The Apple Store in Hingham was packed. People were leaving left and right with new 13" Pros, it was crazy.

14. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

13" MBP is selling like crazy at the 4 Apple Stores in Toronto. Stores are so packed some turn away and order online, lol.

15. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Woah nice to hear reports from all parts of the US and Can. Apple is definitely making some serious dough.

16. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I'm certainly amazed and impressed by what the MacBook Pro 13-inch offers, not at all surprised it's selling so well. ;)

Actually, since Apple launched it's MacBook Pro 13-inch; I've decided to put my iMac 24" purchase on ice - I'll wait until the 2010 iMac refresh before purchasing an iMac.

I think the release of the 13-inch MBP is going to take a good healthy bite from the Netbook 'market'.

17. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

And free printer, which in my mind kicks ass compared to previous free printers I got with my computers.

18. winterspan macrumors 65816

I am very interested in the 13" now with IEEE1394/B, but does it and the 15" really have only SATA I Harddrive connections??

If this is true, it is pretty sad for a premium-priced "Pro" machine.. It can't even take advantage of a modern SSD.

SATA I maxes out at 150MB/sec, while many affordable MLC SSDs like the popular OCZ Vertex 120GB/250GB can push 225MB/sec read rates and even faster in burst speed from the DRAM cache.

Why the hell would Apple do such nonsense? This is so IRRITATING if true.. Completely ruins my plans! I just played with a 13" unibody macbook today, and it is such a beautiful machine!

19. TXBDan macrumors regular

I don't get it though. Its the same damn thing as the "old" Macbook except w/ a new batter and a small CPU speed bump.

Its not like it has discrete graphics like a real MBP.

20. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

+ better screen, + SD slot + 7 hour battery + CPU speed bump + plus good HD options ... AND ... it gets the title "Pro" with it's name, factor than in with the 'perfect' size, incredible design and keyboard = huge sales of 13" MBP's !!

21. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

wrong thread

22. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

+ firewire ;)

It's the system the late 2008 uMB should have been. People that were on the fence are now more impressed and interested in buying. And it's cheaper.

23. TXBDan macrumors regular

How's it cheaper? They were and are $1200, no?

Yeh, the upgrades are nice for sure, but i think the name change is having a LOT to do with the sales.

24. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

+ $100 printer.

25. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...with all the new features/changes is this considered a rev A item again?