13" rMBP - 4,096,000 pixels, $1700-2000, INTEGRATED GRAPHICS?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trubbles, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Trubbles macrumors regular

What a disgrace.

For that price, and with that many pixels to push, any form of 3D, or even the simplest modern games, are going to make this otherwise beautiful computer slow to an unusable crawl.

I have the money sitting and collecting dust. I was SO excited to buy this computer. Now, there is an absolute zero percent chance I'm going to buy this.

Apple ignores casual gamers, and those who work with 3D, AGAIN.

Now I have no choice but to go back to a Windows machine, and that makes me want to cry :(

2. EmptyCalm macrumors member

I consider myself a causal gamer, I play on my ps3 sometimes ...

3. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

4. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Yeah.. How can they even run with no dedicated graphics on a "NEXT GEN" Macbook Pro? There's nothing next gen, nor pro about a laptop with integrated graphics. Yeah, it's thin and has a great screen. But an integrated graphics chip is _never_ going to push out so many pixels with high FPS.

Hmm.. Had waited for this one, as I love 13".. But I think I'm going with the next 15" rMBP update next year, as I really need to do video editing etc.

5. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Just wait for Haswell. That will work, IMO. These first gen 13" rMBPs will end up in the bargain bin.

6. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

That, and the default storage option is 128 GB. That's the deal breaker for me. $1999 just to go up to 256GB? Fuhgetaboutit.

7. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

The 13" fat MBP didn't have discrete graphics, so I have no idea why any of you expected this one to. If you want/need real graphics the 15" model is there for you.

What I wanted was a retina MacBook Air, and dudes, this is it.

Still waiting for Haswell though.

8. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Was really looking forward to the 13" rMBP, but seeing the price of the high end 13" vs the low end 15" and it's a NO-BRAINER. 15" it is...

You get a quad-core i7, 15" screen (vs 13"), and a dedicated graphics chip for just $200 more! Seriously...:eek:

9. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

128GB....that totally killed the deal for me. This would have been a good buy with 256GB SSD.

10. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

looks like you are stuck with 8gb ram too..

And wasn't there rumors of apple making 3x the amount of these compaired to the 15inch?

Not a chance in hell ill be buying one ever. Can get almost the same specs in the air for 1299 and its thinner.

11. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

About dGPU: If you were expecting to get that without sacrificing thickness or battery life, you had unrealistic expectations. Apple are masters at making stuff thin, but even without dGPU they had to make sacrifices like halving the number of RAM slots and making it thicker than the 15" rMBP. It was obvious this would not have dGPU.

About price: I agree that this laptop is expensive for what it is. It makes little sense compared to the 15" rMBP which has much better value in comparison.

The 256GB model is $1999 and doesn't even have an i7. All you get is a dual-core i5 and integrated graphics. At that point, spending $200 more to get the base 15" rMBP with a bigger screen, thinner body, and especially much faster CPU/GPU seems like a no-brainer.

Typical Apple up-selling. It seems like they don't care about selling a lot of MBPs anymore and focus will now be on the MBA. Maybe it's on purpose since they have low yields of Retina Displays and prices will get better when the technology becomes more common and they can produce more of them faster.

12. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Makes the high end 13" look pathetic in that regards

----------

Wow, didnt even notice the 8GB ram limit - thats effed up Apple

13. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

The difference between 13" and 15" is just marginal now.. Well, at least when you look at the specs. 15" offers way more value than the 13".

Can't afford the 15", and the 13" rmbp is just too overpriced. So I have to go with the 13 Air for now. Maybe in a couple of years the retina-thing will be normalized and not an overpriced tech.

14. Trubbles thread starter macrumors regular

With education pricing, the 15" model is only $100 more for a MUCH more powerful computer... I might end up buying it. I really wanted the smaller, lighter form factor as I carry my computer everywhere, and often use it on my lap...

15. Will G. macrumors member

I was noticing that too. It seems weird that you'd get a bigger screen, a quad-core processor and a dedicated graphics processor for only $100 more.

But I'm still getting the 13" Retina because a) I don't want a 15" computer, b) I want a Retina display, and c) I've already waited a lot longer than I expected to for a new laptop (I was planning to get one in July) and I can't really wait any longer.

16. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

Apple are taking the PISS!

They really think their customers are idiots.

£1450 for a laptop with NO GPU? Jog on...

All this for a screen.. What a joke.

17. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

So far the current rMBP has been great for video editing for me on Adobe along with 3rd party color correction software from Magic Bullet looks. And it's been editing blazing fast with just the CPUs. With the CPUs people who use RED cameras have been able to edit 4k footage with no hiccup. As soon as Adobe puts support for the dGPU (you can do it manually if you'd like) the performance will just be even faster.

18. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

That 128GB SSD will be a Toshiba with a Sandforce controller so it will choke on Filevault2.

So yeah, this things cost is almost the same as the 15" model.

Major RIPOFF.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, I guess you'll just need to go back to a 13" Windows notebook with a 2560x1600 display.

They never fit a discrete GPU into the 13" Pro, so I wasn't expecting it for this model. OS X doesn't appeal to game developers, and so Apple has moved on to iOS devices for gaming. That said, I do think it is a little pricey since the 256GB option is $300 more. At $1799 for 256GB it would be more compelling.

20. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

21. Torrijos macrumors 6502

This is Madness! ^^

Honestly right now iGPUs aren't enough to enjoy such resolutions...

With Haswell who knows, but right now not good.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the 13 fat had 25% of the pixels to push....

23. andymac2210 macrumors regular

What a major piss take.

It's only £50 less than the 15" cMBP in the UK and all it really offers over the normal 13" MBP is a better screen.

24. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i called most of this including the price for months not sure why everyone is shocked with the configurations and prices

25. bill-p macrumors 65816

This. Is. Apple!

Seriously, though, I'm amazed at how many gamers we have here at MacRumors.

After the announcement, the entire place was flooded with "disappointed" and "ridiculous" threads.