13 RMBP sucks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waxfinger, Jan 31, 2013.

1. waxfinger, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013

waxfinger macrumors newbie

The 13' base model Retina macbook pro is trash, i had it for 10 days and the HD4000 is terrible, you cannot do anything serious on it and yet it costs around 2000$ with taxes.

I really liked the form factor of it but i will have to switch for a more powerful machine.

I got adobe master suite on it and it was super-laggy, so was safari and final cut pro.

I am going to refund this piece of trash and grab the 15' base model for only 220$ more.

People with the 13' model are getting ripped off, unless of course all you do is Facebook, even then enjoy your 30 fps scroll lagg.

Apple really deceived me with this 13' model.I am a long time apple-consummer and this is the first time something like this happened to me.

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Have fun. Just remember ... no drinks around that new one. I doubt that the Apple Store you go to would be so forgiving a second time around.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

you knew this BEFORE buying it... YET you bought it anyway and now are complaining? Lolz...

People I swear...

"Damn the stove looks hot... ill touch it anyway then complain to GE that it burned me because it was too hot.".

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Or the people who buy the 13" rMBP have different priorities than you. It isn't a gaming computer, I don't expect miracles out of the HD4000, but the times I have used one I haven't noticed any problems.

I do agree that it is a little on the expensive side, but with the base model with an upgraded 256GB SSD selling for up to $300 off in the refurb store, it isn't bad.

5. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

6. xShane, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Anyone looking to do any "serious" graphics intensive stuff should be "serious" enough to know that the HD4000 isn't that "serious".

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

By 'can't do anything serious on it' I assume you mean video games. The HD4000 is far more capable than my lowly little GMA 950, and yet I'm quite capable of doing serious work on this machine (albeit slowly).

That, and some people wanted a high-resolution display in a smaller format than the 15"–the 13" gives them that option. Plenty of other reasons to get a 13" rMBP, too.

Like I said, I'm assuming he means games. If he didn't, then he failed to do much research before buying a computer that would fit his needs.

8. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

I predict a post in the EFI bug thread in the near future.

9. chrise2 macrumors 6502

It works great and does everything I need without being gigantic. Go scratch yourself. :) If I want to play video games with awesome frame rates I would have spent 1/10th the price and gotten a console that will be able to play current games for more than 6 months after purchase.

10. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I have to agree. With the 15" being a tad bit heavier, and the "bang for buck" factor being greater on the 15", no truly serious designer would go with the 13" unless they used it for recreation.

With that said, the 13" is still a great computer. The refurb prices are decent.

11. marc11 macrumors 68000

Keep buying 'em and returning 'em. More near new at a discount refurbs for the rest of us!

12. KPOM macrumors G5

The OP has a post relegated to the Wasteland in which he intimated that he pulled a fast one on the Apple Store by returning a water-damaged rMBP. We should probably Wasteland this thread and let the rest of us debate the relative merits of the 13" rMBP on the myriad other on-topic threads. (Of course, the smart ones who bought the 13" rMBP will show our bias on the said other threads. :D)

13. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Why is it a MacBook Pro then if it can't be used for anything serious?

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Pro is used as a marketing term, not a description of what it can(t) do.

15. dinggus macrumors 65816

I just seen his thread about it.

Waxfinger, you ruined your own laptop by being a child and spilling liquids on it, and lied to Apple to get a new one. How old are you?

16. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

So people *are* getting ripped off?

17. scarred macrumors 6502a

What do you classify as 'serious'. Playing a game? Funny but fine. Guess what? The 15" isn't a 'serious' answer for that either.

18. RSL macrumors regular

It's definitely overpriced. Specs are entry level macbook pro, you're just paying for the novelty IMO.

19. LachlanH macrumors regular

I disagree that the 13" rMBP is bad.

On the contrary it is an excellent laptop. However it doesn't, at the moment, represent very good value for money. IE, it's expensive for what it is.

I suspect this will change this year if they drop the classic MBP design. I would think they will lower the price of both rMBP models, making them better value.

I guess where the 13" model really falls down is having a 128gb SSD on the base config. I would feel a lot better about the price if 256gb was standard.

Having said that, there are very few 13" laptops out there that have discrete GPU's, so the HD4000 complaint is pretty weak.

20. Valkyre macrumors 6502

That would be true if Apple was advertising the 13 inch rmbp model somewhat like:

"look guys this is an awesome machine that costs 2,000 bucks, but hey its graphics performance sucks, and probably is not enough to drive the display under heavy usage!"

but you see apple is not advertising the 13 inch like that ofc.... they say the machine is amazing and fast and beautiful and certainly capable as far as graphics performance goes.

And that is pure bollocks. And thats pure deceit and theft in my eyes as well.

The OP is damn right to complain. I am a customer. It is not my job to know how the hardware inside an apple product will work. I trust that the company has ensured that for me. It is not my job to learn and evaluate wether the combination of an i5 cpu with an ssd and a hd4000 gfx chip work together. It is apple's job, and it is the trust i have on them that they will not offer a 2k machine with such poor poor performance.

The 13 inch model is a disgrace. I have said it before i will say it until the give it a dedicated gpu or haswell. When you put on the shelf a 2k machine labeled as your "top tier 13 inch macbook" and you put a pricetag of 2k , then your longtime customer, who expects quality from you, is not an idiot for trusting that what he will spend is going to be worth it.

It is clearly apple's fault, it is their false advertising and their unbelievably deceitful stance towards its best and most trustworthy customers.

21. DayVe3000 macrumors member

Im happy with my 13-inch rMBP!

Maybe the OP should research what hardware he gets before he goes and pays a small fortune for. :rolleyes:

Granted, its expensive for what it is - But so is every Apple product, thats Apple! You pay for quality . . . Im not going to stop any time soon.

22. LachlanH macrumors regular

Actually...it is your job as a customer to research the product you are buying to see if it meets your needs. If I buy a family sedan with 5 seats it's likely they are going to say somewhere in the advertising that it is very spacious with room for the whole family. I can't well turn around and complain that it's their fault my family of 27 cannot fit in it.

23. Valkyre macrumors 6502

Are you trying to make me (and pretty much everyone) look retarded or what?

Your example is refering to someone who is a complete retard if he thinks a sedan with 5 seats will accomodate a family of 27...

If you think that your example is the same as a guy who goes to an apple store and:

a) Looks at the top tier product
    b) Looks the company that makes said product and their history as far as trustworthiness goes
    c) Looks at the specifications and they dont sound too shabby (ssd,i5, 8 gb ram, retina display and hd4000gfx chip
    d) looks at the price

and decides that it is a machine capable to meet his needs, so he proceeds to purchase it.

It turns out though that this powerful machince is not good enough on a certain aspect, driving the display in certain situations. And he thinks he was ripped off.

And you call this guy as retarded as the one who thought 27 persons should fit in a 5 seat car?

REALLY??

Everyone should know how the components of every machine work?

Apple is falsly advertising this machine. In every way you look at it. First of the "pro" shouldnt be there... this is not a laptop for pro users... unless facebook and such constitute pro usage. Then the overall performance is not up to what apple is advertising and let me quote:

"the best design. For the best performance."

and

"Incredibly powerful"

I dont see them mentioning that the 13 inch model will crumble if you put some decent (not even extensive) gfx work for it to do...

And even if you forget everything I just said.

The 13 inch is a god damned RIP OFF. Even if it didnt have such poor performance.

It is a ripoff because with only a few bucks more you get the base 15 inch which is a bargain (and I really consider the 15 inch "cheap" for what it offers). You get a dedicated gpu, you get bigger storage, you get a much faster cpu and the only draw back is 1.5 inch bigger footprint and like a few extra gramms of weight.

No matter how you spin it, the 13 inch is a HUGE dissappointment, and not only that, an overpriced, falsly advertised, disappointment.

Besides both critics and users have shown their disappointment over it... not that we need any more proof...

24. LachlanH macrumors regular

Falsely advertised? Where?
    Apple claims it comes with HD4000 graphics. It does indeed, come with HD4000 graphics no?

I fail to see where Apple misleads you. It's not like the performance of the HD4000 isn't well documented and freely available information.

25. Valkyre macrumors 6502

HD4000 is well documented but it doesnt seem to cause issues in a MBA...

and nobody can know how much power hungry a retina display is. Apple CLAIMS that this hardware is powerful fast and sufficient. And it clearly IS NOT.

And seriously, you need to stop worshiping apple so much. Before you label me as a troll look at the rest of my messages. I really like this company but I will not turn a blind eye when I see them doing stupid and missleading things with their products.

Apple did not handle the 13 rmbp properly. They should have waited for haswell or included a dedicated gfx card in it.

Just the fact that they put the label "Pro" next to that macbook, is -according to me-false advertising. This machine is not up to the "pro" standards apple has created themselves.

The fact that they are pricing it so ridiculously high makes it even more ridiculous.

I dont know what more you guys need... reviewers are all over the place with such issues, users as well...

This laptop shouldnt have come out. Or it should have a different name like

"the 13 inch retina macbook" (leave the pro out of it)