Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psnARMEDps3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
US
I know a lot of people who use an AT&T mvno on their iPhone. But recently, h2o went down the drain, downgrading their $60 plan to only 1GB of data a month. I switched to Red Pocket which has 2GB data/month (along with unlimited talk&txt) for $60. I ported my number from h2o to red pocket and I'm very satisfied with the service. No unlock needed :). Very affordable + you get that AT&T 3G. Heres a quick video I make talking more about it and showing a speed test:

Do you use an AT&T MVNO on your iPhone?

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I know a lot of people who use an AT&T mvno on their iPhone. But recently, h2o went down the drain, downgrading their $60 plan to only 1GB of data a month. I switched to Red Pocket which has 2GB data/month (along with unlimited talk&txt) for $60. I ported my number from h2o to red pocket and I'm very satisfied with the service. No unlock needed :). Very affordable + you get that AT&T 3G. Heres a quick video I make talking more about it and showing a speed test:

YouTube: video

Do you use an AT&T MVNO on your iPhone?

We use h20 and it's been fine. Bummer about the 1gb plan now but what do you do. I use the $50 plan and wife on the $60 plan. I couldn't handle seeing red pocket as the carrier name lol. Man that is too long haha

psnARMEDps3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
US
We use h20 and it's been fine. Bummer about the 1gb plan now but what do you do. I use the $50 plan and wife on the $60 plan. I couldn't handle seeing red pocket as the carrier name lol. Man that is too long haha

lol I hate that also. But since I'm jailbroken, I use a cydia tweak like clean status or springtomize to hide the carrier name. Looks cool like in the apple commercials:

Attachments

• IMG_0039.PNG
    IMG_0039.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 477

psnARMEDps3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
US
How do you like Red Pocket? Good coverage? My AT&T bill is pretty much killing me every month.

I love it. Great coverage wherever you get AT&T. I compared it to a friend who has At&t and we had same strength. Definitely recommended, because truthfully I wouldn't be able to pay the AT&T unlimited talk text and 2gb data every month.

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
I love it. Great coverage wherever you get AT&T. I compared it to a friend who has At&t and we had same strength. Definitely recommended, because truthfully I wouldn't be able to pay the AT&T unlimited talk text and 2gb data every month.

Where can you purchase Red Pocket Sims? Are they MicroSIMs?

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Is the chip on the red pocket sims easy to cut down with a sim cutter? I've come across sim cards in the past that don't fit in the sim cutters. The one with the globe shaped chips normally.

psnARMEDps3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
US
Where can you purchase Red Pocket Sims? Are they MicroSIMs?

I bought my Red Pocket SIM on Amazon for around $3. I couldn't find a microsim version, so I used my micro sim adapter (hole puncher like thing) to cut it down. Those are pretty cheap also, but can be done with scissors.

Is the chip on the red pocket sims easy to cut down with a sim cutter? I've come across sim cards in the past that don't fit in the sim cutters. The one with the globe shaped chips normally.

The one I bought on amazon are easy to cut. Fit in the cutter with no problem.

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
I bought my Red Pocket SIM on Amazon for around $3. I couldn't find a microsim version, so I used my micro sim adapter (hole puncher like thing) to cut it down. Those are pretty cheap also, but can be done with scissors.

The one I bought on amazon are easy to cut. Fit in the cutter with no problem.

With me being in Canada. Can I activate the SIM online?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
That is really nice. I believe AT&T MNVOs have a little less coverage and speed, but I'd totally give that up for a cheaper bill.

I think i'll stick with AT&T though since i think its cheaper than buying a device at full price.

Haha the loading circle is all the way near the battery. loooks funny :D

Last edited:

psnARMEDps3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
US
That is really nice. I believe AT&T MNVOs have a little less coverage and speed, but I'd totally give that up for a cheaper bill.

Thats what I thought at first but look at these speed tests I took earlier today. (On two of them, I used Springtomize to hide the long 'Red Pocket' carrier name in the status bar.)

Attachments

• IMG_0040.PNG
    IMG_0040.PNG
    442.8 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0041.PNG
    IMG_0041.PNG
    420.8 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0042.PNG
    IMG_0042.PNG
    415.7 KB · Views: 286

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Thats what I thought at first but look at these speed tests I took earlier today. (On two of them, I used Springtomize to hide the long 'Red Pocket' carrier name in the status bar.)

Not sure where you're located, but here in south florida, this is what I average. Mine are pretty consistent.
-1.png

So if you're in South florida and you're getting that ... that is very good.

Edit just took one more
-1.png

I'd say that you have it pretty good with red pocket. my AT&T 3G speeds arent any much faster.

Last edited:

psnARMEDps3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
US
I know. It will be for when I travel to the US.

Well if you are going to use it in the US, then yes. You activate it on their website. But just in case, you might want to wait to activate the sim here.

----------

Not sure where you're located, but here in south florida, this is what I average. Mine are pretty consistent.
-1.png

So if you're in South florida and you're getting that ... that is very good.

Edit just took one more
-1.png

I'd say that you have it pretty good with red pocket. my AT&T 3G speeds arent any much faster.

Yup. I was near Ft. Lauderdale when I took those. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the service. Way better than paying 100$ + for almost the same coverage.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
How is the coverage compared to AT&T's contract network? Especially 3G coverage. Has anyone got this working on an iPhone 4S?

Last edited:

psnARMEDps3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
US
Any signs of HSPA+ on Red Pocket yet?

I haven't tried on a 4S. I know it will work on 4G, but don't know if it will get the 4G speeds.

How is the coverage compared to AT&T's contract network? Especially 3G coverage. Has anyone got this working on an iPhone 4S?
I compared the coverage to many friends of mine at various locations, and saw that we had same number of bars and 3G. Even speed tests were nearly identical. Red Pocket will work on an At&t iPhone 4s (or unlocked verizon/sprint iPhone 4s), although still trying to see if you get the hspa+ speeds with it.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
I was reading another forum that the MMS settings on the iPhone will make a difference with AT&T MVNO speeds. Can you do a speed test with the MMS settings correct and then one with the wrong mms settings (Obviously leave correct APN otherwise data won't work at all) and see if it makes any difference?

Last edited:

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

psnARMEDps3 said:
Any signs of HSPA+ on Red Pocket yet?

I haven't tried on a 4S. I know it will work on 4G, but don't know if it will get the 4G speeds.

I compared the coverage to many friends of mine at various locations, and saw that we had same number of bars and 3G. Even speed tests were nearly identical. Red Pocket will work on an At&t iPhone 4s (or unlocked verizon/sprint iPhone 4s), although still trying to see if you get the hspa+ speeds with it.

Wait, how will it work on an unlocked Vzw or sprint 4S?

Can anyone confirm this? I have a unlocked Verizon 4S and although I've only tried once, and it was before my restore after the unlock had been issued, i still don't see it working.

Note I didn't use a red pocket sim, only a hand cut sim from family mobile. Will have to try again.

psnARMEDps3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
US
I was reading another forum that the MMS settings on the iPhone will make a difference with AT&T MVNO speeds. Can you do a speed test with the MMS settings correct and then one with the wrong mms settings (Obviously leave correct APN otherwise data won't work at all) and see if it makes any difference?

Well the speed tests I posted above were with MMS settings correct and they had same speed as normal At&t iPhone. I'll try it without correct MMS settings soon but doubt it will make a difference.

Here is my review of H20 for any of you wondering about them: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1309280/

I'm actually looking into Red Pocket but unsure about the reliability of them since their "terms of service" are identical to H20's. I really don't want too be cut off again for "texting to much".
The "terms of service" are probably given to them by att. I am a former h2o customer and Im more satisfied with red pocket. When you call customer service, you wait 5mins-10mins unlike h2o's 20 mins minimum. Although I have never been cut off with texting to much, Im sure you'll be fine with red pocket compared to h2o.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wait, how will it work on an unlocked Vzw or sprint 4S?

Can anyone confirm this? I have a unlocked Verizon 4S and although I've only tried once, and it was before my restore after the unlock had been issued, i still don't see it working.

Note I didn't use a red pocket sim, only a hand cut sim from family mobile. Will have to try again.

If your Verizon or Sprint phone is factory unlocked (not just unlocked for global traveling), then this will work. My friend is actually canceling his Sprint contract (Slow speeds) on his 4s soon and switching to red pocket after he discovered that his sprint iPhone 4s came factory unlocked.

If I don't care about MMS settings and my APN settings are blocked, can I just install the data apn at http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/ without jailbreaking? Will that work?

If you don't want MMS, that method will work to allow the use of data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.