Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
I know this is a silly common question but I have a black iPad and I am going to grab a white one. For those who switched did the white border bother you initially and did you get used to it. Something is telling me the white border blends in well when you are surfing the web....

littleman18

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2012
I know this is a silly common question but I have a black iPad and I am going to grab a white one. For those who switched did the white border bother you initially and did you get used to it. Something is telling me the white border blends in well when you are surfing the web....

I have everything black part from the new iPad which is white but I want to swap my white one for a black one :) the white looks cheap

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
Had black iPhones and a black iPad. Switched all to white a while ago and I love it. The bezel doesn't show finger prints, and just looks better in my opinion. And yes, I am a married man with 4 kids and no one calls me "girly".

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
it ended up being much smaller compared to the black. when i use it, it is as if it isn't even there.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
I had a Black iPad 2 and iPhone 4 and I switched to a White iPad 3 and iPhone 4s.

I'm not nearly as OCD as 95% of the people on here (I don't return my iPad 10 times before finding the perfect holy grail iPad that I can finally be satisfied with) but I haven't had any complants.

It shows smudges and fingerprints less, and just like you said blends in better with websites.

Also it's a nice change of pace from black for me!

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
Unlike the previous poster, I don't have a macho complex. Went from black to white and never looked back. Clean, elegant, and non-conforming to decades of black electronics.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009

BJ

Haha!!! Love it! :D

Last edited:

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
I haven't noticed any difference at all watching video, but aesthetically speaking viewing webpages is actually nicer; though it's difficult to really pinpoint that to the white bezel or the retina... could be a bit of both.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
After almost two years of black I have to say I love the white. In all conditions I prefer it. No question.

As for assigning gender identity to the color of a device... Get a fracking' life.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I have a black iPad 2 and keep thinking of getting the new iPad in white. Seen a friends iPad 2 in white, he wanted to swap but of course his was a 32gb, my black model is the 64.

Eventually I will upgrade, just my iPad 2 is still running great and I can't quite justify the purchase just yet despite the newer hardware. If I was still rocking the first generation, upgrading to the new iPad is a worthwhile investment.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I have a black iPad 2 and keep thinking of getting the new iPad in white. Seen a friends iPad 2 in white, he wanted to swap but of course his was a 32gb, my black model is the 64.

Eventually I will upgrade, just my iPad 2 is still running great and I can't quite justify the purchase just yet despite the newer hardware. If I was still rocking the first generation, upgrading to the new iPad is a worthwhile investment.

Lol someone actually thought you'd swap a 64 for a 32?? Just bc you wanted white lol?

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
I love my white iPhone but this kind of ruined any possibility of getting a white iPad for me. Think about watching a movie, you'll see a white border, black border, content, black border, white border. Too much going on for me.

http://gizmodo.com/5781336/the-ipad-2-burning-question-black-or-white

Yes, that's true, but when I compared (my black & white) reading books and browsing the web, the white border compliments those much better then the black IMO.

So

White = Book/Web

Black = Movies/Videos

Choose what you use most.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I love my white iPhone but this kind of ruined any possibility of getting a white iPad for me. Think about watching a movie, you'll see a white border, black border, content, black border, white border. Too much going on for me.

http://gizmodo.com/5781336/the-ipad-2-burning-question-black-or-white

I actually don't understand this. Heard it a lot before I bought my white iPad (previous iOS devices were black), so was a little hesitant. But now after almost a month, I've never once been bothered by the white bezel during a movie or reading ebooks. The bezel just sort of disappears as I'm completely focused on the content. And with the screen off, I think the white looks quite classy.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Yes, that's true, but when I compared (my black & white) reading books and browsing the web, the white border compliments those much better then the black IMO.

So

White = Book/Web

Black = Movies/Videos

Choose what you use most.

black doesn't take away from reading books or viewing the web. you are still focused on the main screen, so black is actually good for all 4 things. white, on the other hand, only blends in for books/web.

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
black doesn't take away from reading books or viewing the web. you are still focused on the main screen, so black is actually good for all 4 things. white, on the other hand, only blends in for books/web.

I'm not saying it does...but IMO...it blends in much better then black....in turn black is blends in watching video better.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I went black because I watch a lot of video.

I do like the white, but didn't find it as easy on my eyes.

I find that when using the black one the iPad just seems to dissapear, for me anyways.

The other day I was watching a documentary on it, and I suddenly thought of something I needed to check online and for a moment I looked around and wondered where my iPad was..... true story

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
I went from iPad 1 (which was black) to white new iPad. Glad I got the white. I watch loads of movies and the bezel never distracts me. The white just looks better IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.