The switch from black to white - how was it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RedlegsFan, Apr 11, 2012.

1. RedlegsFan macrumors 6502

I know this is a silly common question but I have a black iPad and I am going to grab a white one. For those who switched did the white border bother you initially and did you get used to it. Something is telling me the white border blends in well when you are surfing the web....

2. littleman18 macrumors member

I have everything black part from the new iPad which is white but I want to swap my white one for a black one :) the white looks cheap

3. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

Had black iPhones and a black iPad. Switched all to white a while ago and I love it. The bezel doesn't show finger prints, and just looks better in my opinion. And yes, I am a married man with 4 kids and no one calls me "girly".

4. MR1324 macrumors 6502

it ended up being much smaller compared to the black. when i use it, it is as if it isn't even there.

5. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I had a Black iPad 2 and iPhone 4 and I switched to a White iPad 3 and iPhone 4s.

I'm not nearly as OCD as 95% of the people on here (I don't return my iPad 10 times before finding the perfect holy grail iPad that I can finally be satisfied with) but I haven't had any complants.

It shows smudges and fingerprints less, and just like you said blends in better with websites.

Also it's a nice change of pace from black for me!

6. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Same here (white). Less fingerprints. Better matching to webpages.

7. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

8. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Unlike the previous poster, I don't have a macho complex. Went from black to white and never looked back. Clean, elegant, and non-conforming to decades of black electronics.

9. nfl46, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

nfl46 macrumors 604

Sigh.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Had a black one and now have white, I don't pay much attention to the border so it's the same for me.

11. seadragon, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

seadragon Contributor

Haha!!! Love it! :D

12. imeth macrumors regular

I got a white iPad but I'm a feminine gay dude. :D

13. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I haven't noticed any difference at all watching video, but aesthetically speaking viewing webpages is actually nicer; though it's difficult to really pinpoint that to the white bezel or the retina... could be a bit of both.

14. Archer1440 Suspended

Archer1440

After almost two years of black I have to say I love the white. In all conditions I prefer it. No question.

As for assigning gender identity to the color of a device... Get a fracking' life.

15. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I don't even notice the difference when the iPad is on. When it's off, the white looks better IMO.

16. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I have a black iPad 2 and keep thinking of getting the new iPad in white. Seen a friends iPad 2 in white, he wanted to swap but of course his was a 32gb, my black model is the 64.

Eventually I will upgrade, just my iPad 2 is still running great and I can't quite justify the purchase just yet despite the newer hardware. If I was still rocking the first generation, upgrading to the new iPad is a worthwhile investment.

17. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Lol someone actually thought you'd swap a 64 for a 32?? Just bc you wanted white lol?

18. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

19. HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

Yes, that's true, but when I compared (my black & white) reading books and browsing the web, the white border compliments those much better then the black IMO.

So

White = Book/Web

Black = Movies/Videos

Choose what you use most.

20. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I actually don't understand this. Heard it a lot before I bought my white iPad (previous iOS devices were black), so was a little hesitant. But now after almost a month, I've never once been bothered by the white bezel during a movie or reading ebooks. The bezel just sort of disappears as I'm completely focused on the content. And with the screen off, I think the white looks quite classy.

21. MR1324 macrumors 6502

black doesn't take away from reading books or viewing the web. you are still focused on the main screen, so black is actually good for all 4 things. white, on the other hand, only blends in for books/web.

22. HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

I'm not saying it does...but IMO...it blends in much better then black....in turn black is blends in watching video better.

23. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I went black because I watch a lot of video.

I do like the white, but didn't find it as easy on my eyes.

I find that when using the black one the iPad just seems to dissapear, for me anyways.

The other day I was watching a documentary on it, and I suddenly thought of something I needed to check online and for a moment I looked around and wondered where my iPad was..... true story

24. Mk4Jetta macrumors newbie

Love the signature, d-bag.

25. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I went from iPad 1 (which was black) to white new iPad. Glad I got the white. I watch loads of movies and the bezel never distracts me. The white just looks better IMO.