14" MacBook Pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SellYourMacBook, Jul 4, 2013.

1. SellYourMacBook macrumors member

What if Apple introduces a 14" MacBook Pro?

It will keep the same body style as a cMBP.

There will be no black bezel around the screen to make it a 14" screen.

Apple can keep use this to replace the 13.3" cmbp to keep owners happy to upgradeable hard drives 2.5" and 204-pin ram.

Superdrive can stay or maybe even a Blu-ray burner...

The issue will be the camera wire that runs on the bezel but maybe they can run it behind the LED somehow.

What do you guys think?

2. sholzer macrumors regular

3. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Eliminating the bezel completely is technically impossible, otherwise be sure that it would have been done by now.

Apple still did a pretty good job reducing the bezel (and overall form factor) for a 13.3" screen with the 13" rMBP:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See how smaller it is than the 13" MBA in 2 axises (length and depth).

And about the Blu-Ray part… Not going to happen. If Apple saw potential in Blu-ray they'd have used it 7 years ago when it was starting to gain traction. At this point it's like asking for the iPhone to get Flash, it's not even a question. Apple believes in an optical-media-less future and they're doing everything they can to push it. All their desktops have no ODD now, they're discontinuing boxed software, giving away $100 to spend on the Mac App Store to students...

4. SellYourMacBook thread starter macrumors member

It will be exactly same size as cMBP now but with bigger screen.

The black bezels around the cMBP now look so outdated. So much wasted space around the screen.

LED TVs are getting thinner and less bezels.

They need to do the same on the cMBP 13"

----------

Good point about the blu-ray, but I don't think removing bezel completely is impossible.

The only reason there is a bezel is for the magnets and the wire from the camera to the hinge to the logic board.

5. mitevpi macrumors newbie

Is that first pic altered in any way? The colors look way too good for an air...I've always seen airs with washed out screens.

6. neteng101 macrumors 65816

The cMBP is DEAD!

The pricing drop of the MBA is yet another indicator as well as Apple Store displays. You'll have to really look to find that sole display cMBP lying around somewhere.

Blu-Ray? Never. The new Mac Pro has NO optical drive, so what does that tell you?

7. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

I love the reduced bezel.

I love the slimmer display bezel of the 13rMB. So slick and compact, it could be a little slimmer. Waiting for a more powerful refresh before I buy it though. Right now as it stands, it is just a decent netbook/ultrabook replacement or upgrade.

8. slicecom macrumors 68020

Bezel size is not a technical limitation, but a conscious design choice on the part of Apple's design team. They like to have room for the camera and magnets in the bezel, and also like it to be tapered toward the edges to make it appear and feel thinner than it is. Look at the original Titanium PowerBook, well over a decade old, and had a much thinner bezel than any of Apple's current notebooks.

9. jxie0755 macrumors member

I don't know about cMBP, cause apparently apple is going to "retinaize" all their products.

I would definitely like to see a 14 inch RMBP with reduced bezel in a case of same size as 13 inch RMBP. But that's not going to happen either. Cause if they make that, who is going to buy the 13 inch? If They could they would have made it already by now.

10. jcpb macrumors 6502a

A 14" MBP in the size of a regular 13" MBP, thanks to a super-minimized bezel. Care to tell me how you're going to fit the webcam inside the now-shrunken-down bezel? We don't yet have the technology needed to make the entire display act as a giant webcam.
    Never gonna happen. If you want Blu-ray, get yourself an external reader or burner from Amazon. Oh, and this is coming from a former PC desktop user who has had access to full-size optical disc burners... and never used them over 99% of the time. My custom 10.8 USB install disk gets more use than that.

11. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

It would be cool to have an edge-to-edge display. But I doubt we'll see that anytime soon.

12. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Absolutely no interest in a tiny screen....

13. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Everything listed there is everything Apple would never do.

14. CARABAO macrumors member

The last time Apple made a 14" laptop was with the iBook G4. It's not gonna happen - it's all about portability now, especially if the product is targeted to consumers. Just my opinion :)

Cheers,
    Greg

15. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

This will not happen for the simple reason that there is not a big enough difference between 14" and 15".

16. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I don't really get the obsession with no bezels on laptop screens.

On a TV it makes sense, usually you're putting the TV against a solid wall and there isn't anything around it.

On a laptop the stuff behind your screen is always changing and can sometimes be distracting. A bit of border to act as a buffer between that and your screen content is a good thing. Some laptops have pretty small bezels but I don't think I've ever seen one with no bezel.

Also, how would you have curved corners on a notebook if there was no bezel?

17. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

smaller bezel, smaller notebook.

I dont know why the same guy brings up the same thread, its not going to happen, nor the ideas are actually something apple would do

Im just waiting for the notebookreview thread

18. jcpb macrumors 6502a

1"-2" bezels are ugly on a laptop. They take a lot of space and do nothing whatsoever. They also make the laptop physically bigger than it needs to be. Bezels are also a very bad thing when you're gaming with more than one display.

Not that I don't want any bezels, I only want them minimized where they're not needed.

19. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The bezels on the rMBP are under 0.5"

20. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

well they could do it, but they will need to redesign the motherboard, components, batteries...

there might be usability issues if you increase the screen size (reducing bezels) while maintaining the same form factor.

21. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

The 17" bezel is quite a bit smaller than the 13

22. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I think the 13 may evolve into a 14, but we won't have both a 13 and a 14 inch model

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the 14 will negatively affect both the 13 and 15" MBP sales. Perhaps if Apple eliminates the 13" MBP this might work but I'm not sure.

The 13" is nicely sized and very mobile. The 15" is a bigger and offers more screen real estate. The 14" seems like a compromise on both and you lose out on more portability (bigger then the 13") and larger screen (smaller then the 15")

Just my opinion. I've owned 14" laptops before and they're not bad but I like what Apple has and it seems to work. Just my $.02

24. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

The OP forgot to add "and runs Windows instead of OS X"

25. Hildegerd macrumors regular

Hildegerd