Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

AnandTech takes a look at the new MacBook Pros released at WWDC last week and focuses on the new non-removable battery design. Apple first introduced the non-removable battery into the 17" Unibody MacBook Pro last fall with mixed reactions from the community. Apple's reasoning behind making the battery custom and non-removable has been the ability to incorporate a larger battery that will provide even longer battery life. They've also argued that most laptop owners do not carry spare batteries.

Anandtech does a good job exploring the technology behind the design:
Apple did some clever work on its own here. Standard lithium ion batteries are made up of cylindrical cells, similar to AA batteries. The problem with these batteries is that they waste a lot of space within a notebook (try cramming a lot of cylinders into a box, you end up with wasted space). This wasted space translates into larger batteries than are necessary, which makes for larger notebooks.
They found the 15" MacBook Pro got an additional 46% of battery capacity with no additional weight. Improvements were dramatic in their benchmark testing:

140846-19441.png

The new 15" MacBook Pro clocked in at over 8 hours in their light load benchmark. The findings did carry over proportionately in their more intensive tests compared to the older models. Andandtech concludes with a very positive impression of Apple's latest revision:
Ever since I first looked at the power consumption specs of Nehalem I thought it didn’t make any sense to buy a new, expensive notebook before Arrandale’s launch in Q4 2009/Q1 2010. While performance will definitely increase considerably with Arrandale, Apple just threw a huge wrench in my recommendation. The new MacBook Pro is near perfect today. If you need a new laptop now, thanks to its incredible battery life, I have no qualms recommending the new MBP.

Article Link: 15" MacBook Pro Battery Tests: "Eight, freakin, hours"

Mr. B

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2005
while users may not carry spare batteries, they do get them replaced

these batteries need to be replaced much less than previous generations according to apple

And when you do need to I'm sure there will be plenty of easy to follow guides online.

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007

The batteries will last 3-5 years before decay in charge. Within that time, you'd be looking to upgrade anyway. And for the casual user, 5 years was Apple's calculation.

Comment

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
When will we see a MBA with that long battery life? The AIr is already mostly all battery :(

Comment

syklee26

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
I never understood all the outrage against built-in battery. Do people live in amazon or something? just find a damn wall and plug it in!

If Apple's promise of 1000 charges before suffering a slow painful death is true, then find ways to plug it into the wall and you can use the laptop for over 5-6 years without any problem.

I myself would have loved to have a built in battery in my current unibody MBP but I missed it by that much.

Comment

Jawsome

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2009
The replacement service is the same price of a new battery today, IIRC.

Maybe monetarily.

I think users like how simple it is to buy a new battery and pop it in themselves, as opposed to handing it over to a sales person for....and this is the other issue...does anyone know how long it takes to replace these? I had one rep tell me 'a few days' and another one at a different store say 'a few minutes'.

If you have to give up your computer for a few days to replace a battery that in the past has been a 2 minute ordeal on your desk, that isn't the same price, and it's ridiculous. However if it is true that they can be replaced in a matter of minutes at the store it seems reasonable, especially since they need to be replaced MUCH less often.

Comment

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I don't know whether the excellent battery life has anything to do with this or not, but are all you 15" MacBook Pro users equally happy with a SATA connection speed of 1.5 Gbit?

ie: SATA I?
The 17" has SATA II - 3 Gbit.

Maybe the two things are connected, maybe not, but it's very worrying that this wonderful new Apple is doing this, no?

Christ, this is only a factor if you use a ssd.....which most people do not. If you want to complain about that issue, theres a 20 page thread already on it

Comment

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Wow. Amazing.

I wish I had the new MacBook Pro (I have the previous generation). But I'm still happy with my MBP.

Comment

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
I don't know whether the excellent battery life has anything to do with this or not, but are all you 15" MacBook Pro users equally happy with a SATA connection speed of 1.5 Gbit?

ie: SATA I?
The 17" has SATA II - 3 Gbit.

Maybe the two things are connected, maybe not, but it's very worrying that this wonderful new Apple is doing this, no?

Are you sure the new MBPs are SATA and not SATA 2?

I don't see why they would go back a generation.

Comment

Paix247

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2006
Minneapolis
Mine was delivered this morning and I've been surfing for HOURS! Way to go Apple!!! :apple::apple::apple: :D

Edit; Didn't realize the SATA speed until now... my Early 2008 MBP was the same, so no loss. Plus this one scored more than 400 above my previous 2.4GHz on geekbench.

Comment

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Hmm Don't see my powerbook g4 with 9 minutes battery life on that list!

There is no point buying a new battery for me as a new one is half the value of the machine!

Comment

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Maybe monetarily.

I think users like how simple it is to buy a new battery and pop it in themselves, as opposed to handing it over to a sales person for....and this is the other issue...does anyone know how long it takes to replace these? I had one rep tell me 'a few days' and another one at a different store say 'a few minutes'.

If you have to give up your computer for a few days to replace a battery that in the past has been a 2 minute ordeal on your desk, that isn't the same price, and it's ridiculous. However if it is true that they can be replaced in a matter of minutes at the store it seems reasonable, especially since they need to be replaced MUCH less often.

I can't imagine it taking more than 10 minutes for someone with a lot of a practice doing it. "A few days" would only be if the tech/Genius couldn't get to it right away, ie they had a que of machines to be worked on.

Comment

slowpoke

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2007
Bellona
I'm happy with my '07 2.4's battery - mainly because when it goes into standby I know it's time to hit the hay for the evening...

Comment

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud

I must confess that I have a Powerbook from 2003 and it does need a new battery, I am also in the market for a new laptop.

I don't think that the battery is an issue for me.

I am however, just expressing my own user needs.

Comment

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Lucky for me the 15" doesn't have a matte option. Otherwise, I'd be lusting after this computer. :)

Comment

shakenmartini

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2008
The replacement service is the same price of a new battery today, IIRC.

This is true. For both PC and Mac, new batteries usually run $80-250 depending on many factors.

$130 for a new battery installed is very reasonable and a nice compromise. I'll take 8h of battery life and only have to take the computer in for a new battery once every 3-5 years.

In fact, I buy a new laptop every 2 years or less, so lately I have barely broken the battery in before replacing the machine and selling the old.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.