Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Put a matte screen on the Unibody and I would just about be sold. Some serious saving for 8GB RAM and the 256 GB SSD would be me sorted for a good while I would think. :)

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
i wonder how the 13" performs...

Well from the article, the battery is 30% larger in capacity than the original UMB. Seeing as Anand said for the 15" (46% larger capacity) he expected it to be at least 46% more battery life, which was proven true. So I would expect the 13" to at least have 30% more life, which puts it up to 6.5 hours.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I have one of the newer Unibody MBP's and there is no way I get 5+ hours with my battery. Maybe 3 hours at best... so does 8 hours REALLY mean 4.25 hours?

casik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2007
Alberta
I have one of the newer Unibody MBP's and there is no way I get 5+ hours with my battery. Maybe 3 hours at best... so does 8 hours REALLY mean 4.25 hours?

it all depends on the work load too. Keep in mind all the factors that can change that.... most people don't use their computers for "light" workloads... i would still expect an average of 6-7 hours on it... which kicks other computers butts that are still stuck at the 2-3 hour range.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Quit crying about the built-in batteries. They are easy enough to replace. You don't *have* to take it to the Apple store to get it replaced. :rolleyes:

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Maybe monetarily.

I think users like how simple it is to buy a new battery and pop it in themselves, as opposed to handing it over to a sales person
They have to to this every 3-5 years, ie, probably never more than once during their ownership of the computer. Once, at most. I'll upgrade my internal harddrive more often than buying a new battery.

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
wow i never would have guessed they would change the unibody design after the initial release. Still happy to have a perfect laptop though.

Guess I have at least 7 hours of battery life to look forward to with my next purchase (probably in 2012).

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Well from the article, the battery is 30% larger in capacity than the original UMB. Seeing as Anand said for the 15" (46% larger capacity) he expected it to be at least 46% more battery life, which was proven true. So I would expect the 13" to at least have 30% more life, which puts it up to 6.5 hours.

Well on the wireless test, it lasted about 60% more and on the flash it lasted almost 100% longer for a 46% increase. This makes me think the 13" MBP will be about 40% better for 30% more battery life under a light load, so 7 hours should be spot on.

This new battery tech is a great leap forward though. Hopefully as CPUs and GPUs get more efficient and SSDs and OLEDs go mainstream, we'll start hitting 10 hours no problem.

kappaknight said:

Did you calibrate the battery? Have you got a 7200rpm Hard Drive, using screen at high brightness, lots of peripherals attached etc...

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
These numbers are clearly flawed - I have never seen anywhere close to 5 hours from my 2008 MacBook.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
If you read the linked article, it will be obvious that the 8 hours (or 5 hours for your model) are for a low-consumption usage scenario. The author also has done different scenarios which naturally come up with shorter durations.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Yes, I'm sure. I took my 13" back today and whilst there, checked them. The 15" are 1.5 Gbit.
Yet the white MacBook and the Mini are both SATA II. But hey Dukebound, you're never gonna put an SSD in there, so no problem yeah? Thumbs up for Apple then :confused:

hey im not defending apple for this as its a bad move

im just saying that this issue is hardly relevant for the majority of users

maybe if ssds were mainstream today its be a bigger sticking point but they are not and by the time they are, people will be looking to upgrade:rolleyes:

even if they dont upgrade, you will still see a benefit of using a ssd with a 1.5

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
These numbers are clearly flawed - I have never seen anywhere close to 5 hours from my 2008 MacBook.

MacBook or MacBook Pro..?

Also, depends what you are doing - if you start surfing YouTube, Flash content impacts the battery quite badly, as does doing other things. So light web surfing is what it is measured from I think.

maybe if ssds were mainstream today its be a bigger sticking point but they are not:rolleyes:

They are heading that way though - year or two they'll really come down in price. Future proofing - I know it's hard in technology to do that, but simple things like SATA (among the FireWire chip they use) should be the best available..

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Already posted here ;)

AnandTech is testing the new MacBook Pro extensively to see how it compares to other generation MacBook Pro's with regards to battery life.

Needless to say, he walks away impressed with the newest iteration of the MacBook Pro.

Check it out for yourself: Apple's 2009 MacBook Pro: Battery Life to Die For.

He is getting over 8 hours on a light web surfing / music benchmark. Very impressive stuff :cool:

Discuss...

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I don't know whether the excellent battery life has anything to do with this or not, but are all you 15" MacBook Pro users equally happy with a SATA connection speed of 1.5 Gbit?

ie: SATA I?
The 17" has SATA II - 3 Gbit.

Maybe the two things are connected, maybe not, but it's very worrying that this wonderful 'new' Apple is doing this, no?

You do realize that SATA laptop drives are themselves slower than a 1.5Gbit SATA bus, right? By quite a wide margin. I'd say 1.5Gbit/sec is about twice as fast as the laptop drive can read/write.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
while users may not carry spare batteries, they do get them replaced

Oh Duke, always the expert on the subject. You're right, Apple really should have stayed with the old design. That way that 5% that would rather replace their own battery than have Apple do it at the same price wouldn't be left out. Now we're all stuck with batteries that last 7 hours! :(

Also: I picked up one of the new Macbook Pros and I have yet to see it suggest I will have anywhere near eight hours of battery. I have the display down to half brightness and I'm only using Safari and the most it has ever said I'll get is 3.5 hours.

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
I like 8, it looks like 2 doughnuts on top of each other -- seven is sort of skinny. Why the hell did I buy my Pro early?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Oh Duke, always the expert on the subject. You're right, Apple really should have stayed with the old design. That way that 5% that would rather replace their own battery than have Apple do it at the same price wouldn't be left out. Now we're all stuck with batteries that last 7 hours! :(

i didnt know apple replaced them at the same price as what it costs to get a new batt today

why you have to be a rude in your response about it is beyond me

i just stated the fact that people do replace batteries over the years. sue me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.