15" MBP to be discontinued in November

Zorori

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2017
14" Pro - revamped 13" with extra thermal capacity to fit a basic dGPU as a lot of Windows machines now do in a 13" form factor.
I really hope not.

I want the CPU and portability of the 13" (or a 14" in a 13" body), a dedicated GPU is a waste for many users and just adds heat and cost. It would be fine if you could just turn it off, but there is only an option to disable the CPU graphics and not the dedicated one.

When I last had switching graphics (first TB MBP 15) I came across various display related issues due to the switching. That was enough to make me want to 'downgrade' to the 13.

Reactions: Howard2k

theorist9

macrumors regular
May 28, 2015
If the new 16" has the same processor it will be a no-sale for me. I'm not crazy about the idea of a new Mac Pro due to the cost, but... that might push me into it.
At this point it doesn't look like any new processor will be available from Intel for this model. The only next-gen Intel mobile CPU's slated for near-term release are the low-powered ones.

Rockadile

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I really hope not.

I want the CPU and portability of the 13" (or a 14" in a 13" body), a dedicated GPU is a waste for many users and just adds heat and cost. It would be fine if you could just turn it off, but there is only an option to disable the CPU graphics and not the dedicated one.

When I last had switching graphics (first TB MBP 15) I came across various display related issues due to the switching. That was enough to make me want to 'downgrade' to the 13.
Windows laptops often have a model without dGPU with their dGPU counterparts.
Apple did too with their 15" in 2015.

You're a prime customer example that Apple's one size fits all ideal is no good.

Howard2k

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2016
Dude, nobody wants old tech period. That’s a fact.
But that's not how reality works. You buy stuff and it is replaced by newer stuff.

I'm sure apple will offer a subscription service for hardware at some point and then those that want the latest and greatest can pay the monthly charge for that.

But as an outright sale, that's not how it works.

kp98077

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
But that's not how reality works. You buy stuff and it is replaced by newer stuff.

I'm sure apple will offer a subscription service for hardware at some point and then those that want the latest and greatest can pay the monthly charge for that.

Yup lucky for me and others we can return - being within return window. If the rumors hold true, their entire lineup is changed! No 13, besseless 14, 16, with new keyboards. Totally new.

Reactions: Howard2k

Howard2k

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2016
Yup lucky for me and others we can return - being within return window. If the rumors hold true, their entire lineup is changed! No 13, besseless 14, 16, with new keyboards. Totally new.
Exactly. You have options.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016

Thats very one sided (to the advantage of Apple), I don't agree with that.

Of course you can offer regular updates to your products. Of course you are not obliged to inform your customers about updating changes. But I don't know many companies that do both at the same time, especially when signifiant updates are so hard to predict.

Its nothing new that Apple doesn't disclose its roadmap. Transparency was never really given. But in return, Apple gave a simple unspoken promise to its customers. And that promise was, that roughly every year they would do their best to release a product, that reflects the best product they can deliver to you at that particular point of time. And every couple of years -- amount depending on the product -- there would be a big iteration.
This is the factor that made this relationship balanced. We give Apple the trust to buy their premium product in return for their guarantee that this product indeed is premium.

This promise is broken once an iteration is pushed out every couple of months. Now somebody who was in need of more screen estate accepted the fact, that its simply not possible at that point of time, therefore its not possible for Apple within the next year and therefore he has to go for the compromise (paying a premium price) for now.
To someone else that might not have been a problem, since he just needed the improved processing power. But both of these customers were just making uninformed decisions.

Its like playing a lottery. You need a computer now... but maybe in 3 months we have exactly what you need in store. But psssst... we wont tell you, so you have to invest again if you really want it.

Bottom line, having such short iteration times and no transparency at all, compared with the unpredictability of what Apple is up to (the last 3 years of MBP were just spec bumps for the most part), is just not fair to the customer. I can promise you, if Sony pushed out their PS 4.5 and 3 months later their PS 5, they woudl've gotten the biggest ********* ever. And rightfully so.

Last edited:

grmlin

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2015
Intersting to see where this goes. My work 15" came last week, and I enjoy it a lot. If this is the last of a generation, I'm fine with it, they are usually the most refined versions of an Apple product.

I also couldn't wait any longer, but as there is no new CPU tech available right now, I think I'm fine.

theluggage

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2011
But in return, Apple gave a simple unspoken promise to its customers. And that promise was, that roughly every year they would do their best to release a product, that reflects the best product they can deliver to you at that particular point of time. And every couple of years
Really? When did they fail to speak that "unspoken" promise?

This promise is broken once an iteration is pushed out every couple of months.
Six months - the MBP 15" was last updated in May, the rumours have it being replaced in October/November. (That's if you believe the latest rumour that says its replacing the 15" and not other rumours suggesting its a new more-pro-than-pro price-point - they are all still rumours). If the rumours about the new keyboard are right then its possible that its been rushed forward to offer a much-needed alternative to the infernal butterfly.

That's hardly unprecedented. Look at the releases for the last decade on everymac.com - the best you could say is that 1 year is about the average, but there are plenty of 6-8 month lifespans and a few longer hiatuses.

When Apple announced the discontinuation of the MacBook 12” then all the ones out in customer’s hands suddenly stopped working?
Don't be silly - they crumbled to toxic dust at the first mention of the possibility of a rumour of their discontinuation :)

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
That's hardly unprecedented. Look at the releases for the last decade on everymac.com - the best you could say is that 1 year is about the average, but there are plenty of 6-8 month lifespans and a few longer hiatuses.
Well maybe you're right. Maybe Im just overly dramatic... Subjectively it just seemed wrong to me.

Howard2k

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2016
Thats very one sided (to the advantage of Apple), I don't agree with that.

Of course you can offer regular updates to your products. Of course you are not obliged to inform your customers about updating changes. But I don't know many companies that do both at the same time, especially when signifiant updates are so hard to predict.

Its nothing new that Apple doesn't disclose its roadmap. Transparency was never really given. But in return, Apple gave a simple unspoken promise to its customers. And that promise was, that roughly every year they would do their best to release a product, that reflects the best product they can deliver to you at that particular point of time. And every couple of years -- amount depending on the product -- there would be a big iteration.
This is the factor that made this relationship balanced. We give Apple the trust to buy their premium product in return for their guarantee that this product indeed is premium.

This promise is broken once an iteration is pushed out every couple of months. Now somebody who was in need of more screen estate accepted the fact, that its simply not possible at that point of time, therefore its not possible for Apple within the next year and therefore he has to go for the compromise (paying a premium price) for now.
To someone else that might not have been a problem, since he just needed the improved processing power. But both of these customers were just making uninformed decisions.

Its like playing a lottery. You need a computer now... but maybe in 3 months we have exactly what you need in store. But psssst... we wont tell you, so you have to invest again if you really want it.

Bottom line, having such short iteration times and no transparency at all, compared with the unpredictability of what Apple is up to (the last 3 years of MBP were just spec bumps for the most part), is just not fair to the customer. I can promise you, if Sony pushed out their PS 4.5 and 3 months later their PS 5, they woudl've gotten the biggest ********* ever. And rightfully so.

When did they promise this? Where would I find this promise? And this guarantee - where is this documented exactly?

ascender

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2005
Apple rumours about pricing never seem to be that reliable, so I'd take the starting price with a pinch of salt at this stage...

Reactions: Falhófnir

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
I really hope not.

Then presumably you'd be better off sticking with the $1,299 Pro, which I can absolutely see sticking around as an intermediate machine between the Air line and the more powerful (and more expensive) new 14". I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the i5/8GB options from a theoretical new 14" and start it off with i7/16GB like the 15" currently does - of course this would easily take the starting price north of $2K.

Reactions: Sunshower

HappyIntro

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2016
The 16" will be cool. But it'd be a lot cooler if they had a 14" model too. It's basically the perfect screen size for a laptop.
I'd agree as long as the 14" was 16:10 ratio.

14" screens at 16:9 ratio are not good at all, IMO.

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I really hope this is fake news. I just bought a 2019 base model 15" and for it to be completely discontinued in a matter of months really stinks.

At the same time, I am thinking that the 16" will be bigger than the 15" overall in terms of size (not just thinner bezels) so in that case count me out because this thing is already pretty big for me.

Also, if it's like ~3000 bucks then count me out. For me, I don't really find it necessary to spend more than $2500 on a laptop, and that too if it's a Mac. Meaning I get macOS, great speakers, incredible screen quality, nice keyboard (yes I like my keyboard), fantastic and large trackpad, and some space age features like touch bar and Touch ID. I also like the thinness - the computer looks beautiful. Like a work of art.

kp98077

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
I really hope this is fake news. I just bought a 2019 base model 15" and for it to be completely discontinued in a matter of months really stinks.

At the same time, I am thinking that the 16" will be bigger than the 15" overall in terms of size (not just thinner bezels) so in that case count me out because this thing is already pretty big for me.

Also, if it's like ~3000 bucks then count me out. For me, I don't really find it necessary to spend more than $2500 on a laptop, and that too if it's a Mac. Meaning I get macOS, great speakers, incredible screen quality, nice keyboard (yes I like my keyboard), fantastic and large trackpad, and some space age features like touch bar and Touch ID. I also like the thinness - the computer looks beautiful. Like a work of art.
I unfortunately, don't think it is.. seems like apple will replace the 15" with 15" in the Fall, shortly followed by replacing the new 13" with 14", and I bet leaving the baseline 13" economy line in place!

HappyIntro

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2016
I unfortunately, don't think it is.. seems like apple will replace the 15" with 15" in the Fall, shortly followed by replacing the new 13" with 14", and I bet leaving the baseline 13" economy line in place!
We've all read the rumors of the upcoming 16" MacBook Pro, but I haven't heard even one rumor of a 14" Apple laptop.

jardinager

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
NC
Intersting to see where this goes. My work 15" came last week, and I enjoy it a lot. If this is the last of a generation, I'm fine with it, they are usually the most refined versions of an Apple product.

I also couldn't wait any longer, but as there is no new CPU tech available right now, I think I'm fine.
You and me both. My new 15” i9 2.4/32/2TB/Vega 20 is still processing. I expect it here on Tuesday and can’t wait. I need and specifically want this model with this CPU. I won’t upgrade to Catalina for the foreseeable. All of my viable Macs will stay on Mojave permanently.