Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattgoldey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
Rowlett, TX
My new MBP arrived today, and of course the first thing I did was copy over my WoW folder from my old machine. I had to have most everything turned down on my old machine in order to make it playable in 25-man raids. I immediately turned the graphics settings to "Ultra" on the new machine and logged in.

I am impressed. 42-44fps while running around Dalaran, and everything looks GORGEOUS. I had no idea how beautiful this game was until today.

Tonight is raid night, so I may update this thread with more thoughts afterwards (or tomorrow morning if I'm too tired tonight).

PS - The keyboard feels nicer on this machine than on my old one. Not sure what the difference is, but it feels nicer.

sixwings

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
This is what I was going to do tonight. I have been playing WoW on an 06 white macbook, except UPS delivered to the wrong address so now I have wait another week.

Damn.

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
I'm definitely interested in seeing a report of your 25 man experience... And if you end up turning down the settings at all for the boss fights to get a solid frame rate.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I would be interested to find out what happens to the temperature and fan noise after playing WoW for an extended period.

mattgoldey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
Rowlett, TX
I should also mention that the results I posted are from the built-in display. Tonight I'll be raiding with my Dell 23" LCD attached.

mattgoldey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
Rowlett, TX
I would be interested to find out what happens to the temperature and fan noise after playing WoW for an extended period.

I use it on my mStand 90% of the time, so heat isn't an issue for me. The fans generally run a lot when I'm playing WoW, but they're quite enough that it doesn't bother me. Speaking of course from my experience with my non-Pro MacBook. :)

http://www.raindesigninc.com/mstand.html

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
The mstand is very nice. I picked mine up at frys and also have a bookstand or whatever you call it from twelve south.

Link2999

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Would the i5 vs. i7 make a difference while playing a game like WoW? Going to be buying one pretty shortly and this is one deciding factor.

mattgoldey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
Rowlett, TX
Would the i5 vs. i7 make a difference while playing a game like WoW? Going to be buying one pretty shortly and this is one deciding factor.

The processor won't make much difference, but to get the 512MB of video RAM, you have to go with the i7 and that video RAM will make a difference in gaming.

mattgoldey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
Rowlett, TX
10-man ToGC on Lord Jaraxxus... getting 60-80fps on my external 23" monitor. Graphics settings nearly maxed out. Turned off shadows. Turned down View Distance a bit.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
What resolution are you running at?

I'm on a 17" i7, and I'm getting about 20fps in Dalaran. Haven't messed around with settings much, though. Way better than my old laptop, anyway.

Liudavid

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
I have playing WoW with late08 15" MBP > early09 17" MBP > sony Z117 until now, no problem with 25 man raid at all. Except Turing shadow to minimum and set AA to 1x, other settings were keeping maxed. So I expected the new MBP will perform well enough for current WoW.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
I remember played WoW on my Rev. A MacBook (2 GHz CD, 1 GB) with GMA 950. Hyjal trash was hell on that machine, and it always took forever to get back to a proper framerate after hearthing to Shatt. Even with most things turned down, I only got 16-17 FPS on 25 mans.

After I got my 13" MacBook Pro (2.53 GHz C2D, 4 GB), I could have everything turned to max, and still get ≈30 FPS in BG's and most raids. When mining in Silithus, I usually get ≈47. A friend of mine has a 24" ACD, so gonna try it out on that one.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Which renderer are you using?
The GLL renderer in WoW gives me 20-30 extra FPS compared to the OpenGL.
Without fullscreen glow and anti-aliasing im getting 60-80 FPS in Dalaran everything else maxed.
Thats 30 FPS more than on my SR MBP (which had the 8600mGT with 128mb)

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma
I'm using the new 15in i7 and in Dal it is laggy as hell. Should I turn off the shared video and go with dedicated video full time while playing? Would this make that big of a difference?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I'm using the new 15in i7 and in Dal it is laggy as hell. Should I turn off the shared video and go with dedicated video full time while playing? Would this make that big of a difference?

I get a lot better FPS with the GLL renderer

Info about renderes:
You can switch to GLL by doing those steps.
#1 Start WoW and login with your favorite character.
#2 In the game chat, type : /console gxApi GLL
#3 Restart WoW
#4 Verify that in windowed mode, the minimize button is yellow and not grey

To switch back to OpenGL:
#1 Start WoW and login with your favorite character.
#2 In the game chat, type : /console gxApi OpenGL
#3 Restart WoW
#4 Verify that in windowed mode, the minimize button is grey and not yellow

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Notice that WoW runs faster in Maximized windowmode than in full screen for some lame reason.

mattgoldey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
Rowlett, TX

I get a lot better FPS with the GLL renderer

Info about renderes:

Early results are encouraging... instead of the 40-something fps I reported in my original post, I was in the low 60's in Dalaran just now. I need to try it again tonight when more people are logged on, though, to be a fair test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.