Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Collected

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Thanks for this.

How did it perform in the raid? Do you play WoW in OS X or via Windows bootcamp? And how hot is the laptop getting during longer periods of game play?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Thanks for this.

How did it perform in the raid? Do you play WoW in OS X or via Windows bootcamp? And how hot is the laptop getting during longer periods of game play?

Mac OSX.

I got the machine yesterday, so I haven't raided yet.
I'll post back later tonight after putting it into some heavy testing!

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I would try bootcamp win 7 for wow. My 2009 15 mbp with 512mb VRAM would add up to 10 fps in win7 vs osx. It's either crappy osx drivers or poorer coding on the osx wow software

They're working on a rework of the Mac driver, called "GLL", which I think is not-yet-ready, although I think you can switch the game to it. (Edited: Looks like I'm not the first to point this out.)

That said, I'm not gonna load Windows -- way too much space, and as I recall, the Windows port can't make as much use of 8GB of RAM.

mattgoldey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
Rowlett, TX
Thanks for this.

It was smooth as silk in raid last night. Granted, it was ToGC, so it's just one enclosed room. And it was just 10-man because at our scheduled raid time, we only had about 18 people logged-on. I'll be able to give it a run in ICC25 on Tuesday night. We always seem to get good attendance on the first raid night of the week.

I play in OS X. I refuse to put Windows on my Mac. :)

It didn't get hot at all as far as I could tell. I had it on an mStand connected to an external monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers, but I did reach up and feel it to see if it was getting hot. It got a little warm, but not nearly as hot as my old unibody MacBook would get.

IMG00002-20100422-2102.jpg

aimforinfinity

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010
I'm a very new convert to the world of mac, so I'm pretty braindead when it comes to gaming on macs. I bought a 15" i5 MBP and running around Dalaran was painful in high and ultra settings. Running this in OSX, no bootcamp.

I haven't done any tweaking to anything besides moving the low-ultra slider for video.

Do I need to change some settings to smooth it out? I was pretty disappointed to see my new laptop struggling so badly.

It might be that I was in need of a restart or something, I'll probably test it out again soon, but if anyone's got tips I'd love to hear them.

mattgoldey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
Rowlett, TX
I'm a very new convert to the world of mac, so I'm pretty braindead when it comes to gaming on macs. I bought a 15" i5 MBP and running around Dalaran was painful in high and ultra settings. Running this in OSX, no bootcamp.

I haven't done any tweaking to anything besides moving the low-ultra slider for video.

Do I need to change some settings to smooth it out? I was pretty disappointed to see my new laptop struggling so badly.

It might be that I was in need of a restart or something, I'll probably test it out again soon, but if anyone's got tips I'd love to hear them.

The biggest things you can do to improve your performance are...

In the Video options, go to the "Resolution" page and make sure under "Multisampling" that you're at 1x.

In the "Effects" page, turn shadows all the way down and turn down the View Distance a little bit.

Also, look at the other comments in this tread for the procedure for using the GLL rendering engine. That boosted my FPS by almost 50%.

ltjlily17

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010
Anyone using the 256mb card? I was leaning towards the base 15" and was curious what the FPS were like.

Regardless, I'm sure it's better than my 1.83ghz C2D MacBook.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
Verified. My Config.WTF now has the following line at the end:

SET gxApi "GLL"

I tried this, and it was faster, but then I got horrible graphics problems after a while and things went Very Weird. Managed to hit "exit game" blind, swapped back, played for a few hours without trouble.

With AA off, I can get 30-60 fps most places, a bit over 60 sometimes. (If I activate vsync, it's either 30 or 60 exactly, usually). With AA on, it slows down noticably. I'm playing at 1920x1200.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010

How much memory do you have? Blizzard reps have said in the past that they have seen issues with performance in Dalaran on machines with under 3GB of memory. So if you have the base 2GB, that's probably it.

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
How much memory do you have? Blizzard reps have said in the past that they have seen issues with performance in Dalaran on machines with under 3GB of memory. So if you have the base 2GB, that's probably it.

Considering you can't get an i5 Macbook Pro with less than 4GB of ram, I don't think he has 2GB :)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Anyone using the 256mb card? I was leaning towards the base 15" and was curious what the FPS were like.

Regardless, I'm sure it's better than my 1.83ghz C2D MacBook.

I just did my first ICC with the 15 inch i5.
The results was amazing!
With no AA and no Full Screen Glow and rest maxed i'll stay over 30 FPS in all encounters! I ran on a 1650x1050 external screen.

ninebroken

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
I just did my first ICC with the 15 inch i5.
The results was amazing!
With no AA and no Full Screen Glow and rest maxed i'll stay over 30 FPS in all encounters! I ran on a 1650x1050 external screen.

Could you list your exact system specs and did you run this with the "GLL" modification in console?

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I know there's some serious Windows haters here, but if you're serious about getting the best WoW experience on your MBP, then as of today it's still through bootcamp on Win7. On my '09 15" Mbp, I still get higher FPS in dalaran and raids on Win7 vs. Osx with GLL mod and still without bugs. Until Blizzard fixes gll mode, I'll be running WoW on bootcamp.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I know there's some serious Windows haters here, but if you're serious about getting the best WoW experience on your MBP, then as of today it's still through bootcamp on Win7.

I'd have to sacrifice substantial disk space and have a Win7 license. And then I'd have to have eighteen million varieties of antivirus and antimalware[*], which might well hurt performance a fair bit if I had them running at a sufficient level to prevent problems.

It doesn't sound worth it. I'm getting plenty decent performance with the mac client, and I'm getting it in an environment where switching from WoW to another screen doesn't cause my monitor to go into energy saver for ten seconds (my last Windows box did this when changing resolution from 1600x1200x32x60Hz to 1600x1200x32x60Hz). And I have decent tools and a command-line, which matters a lot for addon development.

In short, it's the same deal as always -- huge costs, huge risks, insufficient benefit.

[*] I exaggerate slightly for humorous effect. Only sixteen million are needed.

mattgoldey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
Rowlett, TX
I'd have to sacrifice substantial disk space and have a Win7 license. And then I'd have to have eighteen million varieties of antivirus and antimalware[*], which might well hurt performance a fair bit if I had them running at a sufficient level to prevent problems.

It doesn't sound worth it. I'm getting plenty decent performance with the mac client, and I'm getting it in an environment where switching from WoW to another screen doesn't cause my monitor to go into energy saver for ten seconds (my last Windows box did this when changing resolution from 1600x1200x32x60Hz to 1600x1200x32x60Hz). And I have decent tools and a command-line, which matters a lot for addon development.

In short, it's the same deal as always -- huge costs, huge risks, insufficient benefit.

[*] I exaggerate slightly for humorous effect. Only sixteen million are needed.

Exactly this. I'm not installing Windows (bleh) and AV (bleh) and anti-malware (bleh) wasting all of that drive space just to play a game or two when I'm doing just fine (more than fine, GREAT!) with OS X.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Exactly this. I'm not installing Windows (bleh) and AV (bleh) and anti-malware (bleh) wasting all of that drive space just to play a game or two when I'm doing just fine (more than fine, GREAT!) with OS X.

I've ran Win7 since beta on my MBP without any stupid AV/anti-malware and have never been infected. Key is smart choices (ie don't be stupid and click on ads and crap) and basically using Win7 only to play games/rip DVD's for ipad/iphone and NOT surf the web/download. But to each their own, I'm just offering a suggestion to all the hard-core Wow'ers who want the best performance out of their MBP's. (which unfortunately at this time isn't on OSX)

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
The processor won't make much difference, but to get the 512MB of video RAM, you have to go with the i7 and that video RAM will make a difference in gaming.

actually WOW is a very processor intensive game. So yes the difference between the i5 and i7 will be significant. The graphics card will make a difference also. I dont know how WOW runs on an i5 but i know on an i7 it runs nicely. Same thing with a nice dual core, which tbh is what most games use.No games except maybe GTA4 use all 4 cores. I doubt in the future they will either. Getting dual core support took about 3 years after they came out so you will be waiting awhile for quad core full support. WOW is also a game that only uses 2 cores unless you mess with values in the code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.