Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Here's a fourth guess: OLED iPhone. The display would be small, 3.5", so the size limitation would not be an issue. Component pricing would seem to be the biggest setback, especially while maintaining the current pricing on the consumer side. Although, with such a small size and an order quantity of a few million, perhaps a reasonable price could have been reached.
I just can't imagine OLED in laptops (large displays) for at least a couple more years. iPhone/iPods- soon. Maybe this will give apple something to put into the new line of iPods next fall, since they have pretty much maxed out the thinness, and capacities are already sufficient. We'll see. Anticipation!!
Note that the product strings for the iPhone and iPod touch show 3,1 and 2,2. Maybe 3,1 will use OLED while 2,2 will use the regular displays.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I could see this as an expensive BTO for the MBA. This would give Apple and LG some real world experience with a small number of units in the field. If something goes wrong they only have to replace a few tens of thousands, not millions of units. MBA is less likely to be used for color critical work so small amounts of color shift could be tolerable. Perhaps they'd offer a calibration service at the Apple store. Then maybe a year out with a better process and some real world experience they could lower the price and bring this to the MBP line.

If they do come out with an OLED iPhone that would simply be over the top wonderful.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
hmm so what real world improvements could be see from such a technology being in the portable range??

power reductions?
sharper images
flexible screens?
clear screens??

what else is possible?

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
hmm so what real world improvements could be see from such a technology being in the portable range??

power reductions?
sharper images
flexible screens?
clear screens??

what else is possible?

This is.

Attachments

• ironman_house6.jpg
    ironman_house6.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 107
  • ironman_house8.jpg
    ironman_house8.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 104

Sn0wball

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
England
The best is yet to come...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPEkSU0H0JE

I'm really hoping for an Nehalem+OLED 15" MBPro.

If that's so, I really hope you can configure the notebook hardware options if at all possible. Really not bothered about BluRay or SSD in the slightest, thus would dearly love to be able to have the ability to not waste good money on such options that could otherwise be better put toward others, such as the OLED display and of course the new Intel architecture.

Love,
Sn0wy

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
INCREDIBLE zombitronic

MacBook Pro Touch ? Kind of like zombitronics awesome mockups - but having a touchscreen - the ability to swivel the screen around 180, then fold so the back of the screen is over the keyboard, and it's folded into a tablet? ala
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Notebook/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2835 ?

Just to be clear, I didn't make the mockups, I just posted them. I don't want to take credit away from the guy who did them, because they are pretty incredible.

The swivel method is kind of cool, but I think the flexible screen is cooler. You still get a tablet form, but you can have it as a half-size tablet or a full-size tablet. The downside is that the screen is exposed, unlike the swivel method. From what I understand, OLEDs are pretty durable, though.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Just to be clear, I didn't make the mockups, I just posted them. I don't want to take credit away from the guy who did them, because they are pretty incredible.

The swivel method is kind of cool, but I think the flexible screen is cooler. You still get a tablet form, but you can have it as a half-size tablet or a full-size tablet. The downside is that the screen is exposed, unlike the swivel method. From what I understand, OLEDs are pretty durable, though.

haha i thought not (no offense) - they look amazing though thanks for posting them :) do they improve res rates at all?? what about contrast ratios? hmmmm.. (wishes one was rich)

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
haha i thought not (no offense) - they look amazing though thanks for posting them :) do they improve res rates at all?? what about contrast ratios? hmmmm.. (wishes one was rich)

Resolution; not that I know of. They are very high res, but I haven't read about anything insane. Contrast ratios; absolutely. A black pixel is off so it's as black as the screen, itself. With no back light needed, there's nothing to illuminate the black part of the screen, leaving it darker.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Resolution; not that I know of. They are very high res, but I haven't read about anything insane. Contrast ratios; absolutely. A black pixel is off so it's as black as the screen, itself. With no back light needed, there's nothing to illuminate the black part of the screen, leaving it darker.

thats excellent to hear! a TRUE black black! :) im so excited!! i read that its printed onto its media via injet printers!!! that is insane! bring it on

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
Do OLED screens flicker? I think they do because in a video I saw of the optimus maximus the keys were filckering.

That's usually because of non-synchronized refresh rates. For example on TV when they shoot video of other TVs, if they aren't synched, they will look like they flicker but in person they don't. The instant the video camera took the picture, the light guns on the display were in their vertical blank period.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Those are the most beautiful spoofed mac concept images I've ever seen. And not just because of the potential of the product. The execution is stunning.

bobertoq

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Yes and no.

- OLED displays have typically little pixels that emit red/green/blue light themselves.
- So OLED displays generally do not need any backlight.
- And because pixels light up themselves (rather than like with LCDs where a backlight is blocked with a 'black' pixel) OLEDs do not suffer any light-bleed.

- As a result they have perfect contrast ratios as pixels switched off are truly black.
- Also black pixels hardly consume any power, so the darker the screen the less energy it uses, unlike LCDs where the backlight is always on so constantly uses the same amount of energy.
- Since there is no need for a backlight OLED displays are also very thin, typically around 1mm for the complete display, some as thin as 0.3mm!

- And finally because pixels light themselves the viewing angles are 180 degrees horizontally and vertically. There is no color shift at even extreme angles. Unlike the current 17" MBP which exhibits a rather extreme color shift IMHO with poor viewing angles.

However, you are right insofar as there are white colored OLEDs too, currently used for experimental lighting. Philips is hugely involved in those.
So it is conceivable to do a 'cheap' OLED by using a white OLED backlight with traditional LCD panel in front.
Yet this is not what is typically understood as 'OLED display', as an OLED/LCD setup loses most of the benefits, except perhaps thinness.
Thanks! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.