Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I did another test right now. I closed every single application I have (background + login apps + normal apps). I waited 20-25 min for the system to cool down, and guess what? It didn't go below 60 without anything (except the temp app) open. Something is wrong, and I know they would ask to leave the laptop for 3-5 days, which would be a huge deal for me; but I can't type on a hot keyboard anymore, it drives me crazy.

Then I am afraid to say something is amiss, my own 2.3 Retina fully started up with additional background app`s running: UltraFan, ClamXav, gfxCardStatus, Little Snitch, VP. No primary app`s loaded idle`s in the upper thirties C, closing everything same as you tried will result in an idle temp of mid - low thirties C. right now it is idling at 39C after a normal startup, flat on the desk no elevation with an ambient of 25C.

There has been some speculation on the forum of the faster CPU`s running hotter and having bigger issues with throttling, however as I say speculation the posts were detailed and did compare like for like, did indicate a trend, equally a small sample is not indicative of all systems performance.

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
I did another test right now. I closed every single application I have (background + login apps + normal apps). I waited 20-25 min for the system to cool down, and guess what? It didn't go below 60 without anything (except the temp app) open. Something is wrong, and I know they would ask to leave the laptop for 3-5 days, which would be a huge deal for me; but I can't type on a hot keyboard anymore, it drives me crazy.

Bring it back. Until people quit just taking Apple's word that 'oh they should be hot' Apple will not fix the issue.

I detailed the problem (as far as I've found, this is the same problem with ALL Macbook Pros) in THIS THREAD.

I'd ignore the arguing going back and forth currently, and read the first post, watch the video, and draw your own conclusions.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
For reference:

Mid-2012 rMBP 15", 2.7/16/768

"Idle" conditions
Processes (under 10.8.3): Safari, iTunes, Mail, TextEdit, Terminal, Messages, Etrefeed, and Hardware Monitor

Safari has 2 self-refreshing sites open. Mail set for both push and poll.

CPU A Proximity = 37° C (99° F)

Stress test
8 instances Chess.app, comp v comp, 256 look-ahead
All cores 100%
Discrete GPU enabled by Chess.app

Fans running at max RPM: 5935 Left, 5503 Right
Ambient: 19° C / 66° F

CPU A Proximity - peak 68° C (154° F), stabilized at 66° C (151° F)
GPU Temp Diode (integrated) - peak 81° C (178° F), stabilized 74° C (165° F )
Main heatsink 2 - 51° C (124° F)
Main heatsink 3 - peak 59° C (138° F), stabilized 55° C (131° F)

There must either be additional load(s) you're missing, or there is a physical problem with your machine. Even accounting for your higher ambient temp added to my "idle" temp wouldn't bring it near the 60° C you're reporting. Hope you'll have a chance to get it looked at.

doward there just isn't an inherent design flaw. My previous MBP, a C2D Early 2009 17" UB, always ran noticeably warmer (running the same processes as above) than the rMBP that replaced it. I've owned many MBPs (and PBs before those) and the rMBP runs the coolest of any (and none were abnormally warm). Even during the above stress test the area above and left of center is "hot" (I can still keep my finger on it), but the keyboard area and palm rests are still comfortable (I'm sure my lower ambient temps help in this regard).

This rMBP appears to have the most efficient cooling system and fan algorithms I've seen yet (compared with the previous Macs mentioned above). i base this on how quickly temperature loads are disappated after processing loads are removed and how quickly temps stabilize under load once fan speeds are increased (I've monitored temperature v fan speed over time while varying loads). Shrinking fab processes and improved power management have reduced temps, but at the same time, Apple has been refining their designs.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Bring it back. Until people quit just taking Apple's word that 'oh they should be hot' Apple will not fix the issue.

I detailed the problem (as far as I've found, this is the same problem with ALL Macbook Pros) in THIS THREAD.

I'd ignore the arguing going back and forth currently, and read the first post, watch the video, and draw your own conclusions.

You are wrong on so many levels, however you just don't get it, there are numerous reasons for a Mac to run hot, not solely the simplistic reason you are posting across the board. Design, software, hardware all come into play regarding operating temperature's. Your system had issue, the vast majority likely don't.

No I am not brainwashed, I run Mac`s and ThinkPads; being the best of a bad lot, OS X, Windows 7, Linux and I rather dislike IOS devices...

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

You should download gfxCardStatus as Queen6 has suggested and see if the discrete GPU is continuously on instead of switching to the IGP, read somewhere on MR about VLC (I think) to switch to the discrete GPU and leaves it on.
If there is no load on the GPU Intel's HD4000 should be on and not the discrete GPU.

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
You are wrong on so many levels, however you just don't get it, there are numerous reasons for a Mac to run hot, not solely the simplistic reason you are posting across the board. Design, software, hardware all come into play regarding operating temperature's. Your system had issue, the vast majority likely don't.

No I am not brainwashed, I run Mac`s and ThinkPads; being the best of a bad lot, OS X, Windows 7, Linux and I rather dislike IOS devices...

Software doesn't 'make' the system run hot.

You can not program "heat" into any computer software paradigm in existence.

Heat is a product of one thing and one thing ONLY in electronics - Resistance.

That's it. That's the only thing in electronics that generates heat. Current + Resistance = Heat. Period.

So where does the resistance come from? In a CPU or GPU, same thing - the transistors switching on and off. Between states there is a momentary short causing current to flow through resistance = heat.

For any given CPU you have a maximum amount of heat that the CPU will generate running all out at full load.

Think about clock speed for a minute:

Given equivalent architectures, why does a higher clocked CPU generate more heat at full load? Because the transistors are switching faster. Yes, pipeline length comes into play for maximum clock speed, but at the end of the day you have transistors switching faster (this is also why for a given length pipeline, you hit a 'maximum' clock speed - the transistors simply can't switch faster)

So for Apple's engineering team, they went "Ok, we want to insert this CPU, which requires this amount of thermal removal from the die" and from there they design the heatsink assembly.

At no point did any engineer at Apple take into account poor heatsink contact area, nor overdone heatsink compound.

The system as designed works fine. The system as assembled does not.

No, you aren't brainwashed. You are, however, clearly ignorant to the engineering behind these. That isn't a bad thing, and I hope you take the opportunity to learn from these discussions.

But please, if you feel I am in error, show me where and how. I've done no less for you, after all.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Software doesn't 'make' the system run hot- snip......

Now you are just becoming amusing; applications drive the system, more computationally complex applications result in elevated temperatures. So lets get back to your paradigm the root cause of the switching is well, applications and a runaway process can easily drive up core temperature.

Mac portables run hot partially due to design and partially due to Apple looking to offer the lowest noise output, in a attempt to offer quietest user experience realistically attainable, some due to defective hardware. As an engineer components are designed with given tolerance, likely as not the vast majority of heat sync`s produced meet Apple`s criteria tolerance, a minority will be rejected, very few flawed ones reach market.

The MBP is a mass produced product, literally in the hundreds of thousands per year and Apple`s engineers take everything into account, as i say there are tolerances, if you are striving for perfection then you need to look at high end hand built rigs.

I am far from ignorant, and what you are suggesting across multiple threads is fundamentally flawed, it will not resolve everyones issues, some may even make matters worse cause damage invalidate warrantee etc. Striping out the motor, before checking the fuel gauge has never been the most prudent of approaches.

What you have done is not the issue, it`s the way that you are advocating that this is the fix for all your temperature problems and Apple screwed up. The thermal signature of any electronic system is complex in the extreme, and requires several engineering disciplines to accomplish an efficient cooling system. Apple have deliberately made compromises with the MBP over the years in this area; form factor, DB output & cost spring to mind immediately, equally it not too shabby given the performance of Quad Core CPU`s.

All you are achieving now is backing yourself into a corner with this single minded approach....

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Hi,

I'm wondering if the temperature of my 15" rMBP base is too high since the keyboard feels really warm (left mid-top side). I don't run any applications except for Chrome & Adium.

Here are my temps:

HD: 42
GPU: 70
GPU Diode: 80
Heatsink B: 49
Enclosure Bottom: 39
Airport Card: 49
Mem Bank A1: 58

All in Celsius.

Thanks.

when you say 15 rMBP Base which processor do you mean?

I have a new 2.8 maxed out model (the one with the most power hungry and hottest running processor) and my idle temps are about 56 C on the CPU Die with several tabs open with flash ads blocked mail open and vlc open if yours is consistently over that then something may be off and you should have an apple tech check it out

Ran a test render to see how far the temps go and after 10 minutes the cpu proximity sensor after rendering a scene on a 3D Program at 100% on all cores. CPU Die hit 98 C and CPU Proximity never topped 65C Also temps came down to normal in 20 seconds.

I dont have mine running under load at the moment but it can really get up there when I do run it under significant load, but the cooling on this one is far better then the 17 it replaced

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Ran a test render to see how far the temps go and after 10 minutes the cpu proximity sensor after rendering a scene on a 3D Program at 100% on all cores. CPU Die hit 98 C and CPU Proximity never topped 65C Also temps came down to normal in 20 seconds.

My Base 2.3 15" Retina produces very similar numbers: 800% CPU Core`s 97C, CPU Proximity 65C, CPU pulling 40W at a solid 3.1GHz, and the video in the background never skipped a frame Nvidia GPU engaged :p

Flat on the desk, no elevation, ambient of 25C

Last edited:

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
Now you are just becoming amusing; applications drive the system, more computationally complex applications result in elevated temperatures. So lets get back to your paradigm the root cause of the switching is well, applications and a runaway process can easily drive up core temperature.

Mac portables run hot partially due to design and partially due to Apple looking to offer the lowest noise output, in a attempt to offer quietest user experience realistically attainable, some due to defective hardware. As an engineer components are designed with given tolerance, likely as not the vast majority of heat sync`s produced meet Apple`s criteria tolerance, a minority will be rejected, very few flawed ones reach market.

The MBP is a mass produced product, literally in the hundreds of thousands per year and Apple`s engineers take everything into account, as i say there are tolerances, if you are striving for perfection then you need to look at high end hand built rigs.

I am far from ignorant, and what you are suggesting across multiple threads is fundamentally flawed, it will not resolve everyones issues, some may even make matters worse cause damage invalidate warrantee etc. Striping out the motor, before checking the fuel gauge has never been the most prudent of approaches.

What you have done is not the issue, it`s the way that you are advocating that this is the fix for all your temperature problems and Apple screwed up. The thermal signature of any electronic system is complex in the extreme, and requires several engineering disciplines to accomplish an efficient cooling system. Apple have deliberately made compromises with the MBP over the years in this area; form factor, DB output & cost spring to mind immediately, equally it not too shabby given the performance of Quad Core CPU`s.

All you are achieving now is backing yourself into a corner with this single minded approach....

You're arguing the wrong idea, completely. What the engineers design and specify, and what component suppliers deliver, are in this case two different things.

Have you even seen the copper pad? I have seen very few that were so bad. I do not believe that's what Apple's engineers had in mind - but considering how incredibly secretive Apple is about their machines, it's no surprise that the left and right hand may not be on the same page.

Look at your very own numbers - your base model 2.3 Ghz Ivy Bridge (22nm tri-gate) runs almost 13C HOTTER than my 2.5 Ghz Sandy Bridge (32nm, standard planar transistors).

So even though you have an almost 33% shrink in die, combined with a 10% slower clock speed, my system's thermal envelope is lower than yours.

Clock for Clock, Ivy Bridge uses less power, and makes less heat than Sandy Bridge, yet after lapping/polishing the heatsink and applying Arctic Silver 5, your system runs significantly hotter than mine.

You've proved my point.

Queen6

macrumors G4
You're arguing the wrong idea, completely. What the engineers design and specify, and what component suppliers deliver, are in this case two different things.

Have you even seen the copper pad? I have seen very few that were so bad. I do not believe that's what Apple's engineers had in mind - but considering how incredibly secretive Apple is about their machines, it's no surprise that the left and right hand may not be on the same page.

Look at your very own numbers - your base model 2.3 Ghz Ivy Bridge (22nm tri-gate) runs almost 13C HOTTER than my 2.5 Ghz Sandy Bridge (32nm, standard planar transistors).

So even though you have an almost 33% shrink in die, combined with a 10% slower clock speed, my system's thermal envelope is lower than yours.

Clock for Clock, Ivy Bridge uses less power, and makes less heat than Sandy Bridge, yet after lapping/polishing the heatsink and applying Arctic Silver 5, your system runs significantly hotter than mine.

You've proved my point.

You are comparing two completely differing systems, I am comparing Retina to Retina. The 2011 17" has a very different thermal signature to a 2012 Retina. SB & IVB CPU`s have differing temperature sensor points, nor realistically do you have any idea what load was applied or for how long. What you are doing is showing that you have very little engineering experience, by making blanket statements; the 17 is physically larger, has greater internal volume, has a less powerful processor/GPU, likely has larger heat-syncs, let alone software variance, ambient temperature. Essentially you have proved nothing, other than what you personally want to read into it...

Any supplier to any project of significance has deadline & criteria period, we are not talking about substandard components, they just don't meet your personal expectation. As has already been stipulated the economics are the overriding factor Apple design consumer product, built to an above average standard, have the best marketing in the business, Apple`s engineers are more than aware. Like it or not budgets are set and as an engineer you have to work within them, if you can guarantee greater; safety, reliability and or revenue then, and only then will people start to listen...

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009

You've proved my point.

To all your numbers all I have to say is from running tests on my computer it never slows down because of temperature. It runs hot when held at the Max but so does everything else.

Hell I know a friend with an HP that had it run so hot when rendering something that the hinge melted and when he tried to shut it not noticing it, the hinge shattered.

Fact remains barring some hardware defect the rMBPs run within safe limits for their internal components and the hardware is very capable of bringing the fans back down to normal speed and temperatures down rapidly once the load has been relieved.

My old 17 would take longer to dissipate heat, so I think my 15 rMBP is doing a great job.

Also if you claim to be an engineer ... you should know that the only way you can scientifically compare something is with keeping as many variables as possible close. comparing apples to oranges is a poor argument. especially if your laptop is a 17 as Queen6 said.

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
You are comparing two completely differing systems, I am comparing Retina to Retina. The 2011 17" has a very different thermal signature to a 2012 Retina. SB & IVB CPU`s have differing temperature sensor points, nor realistically do you have any idea what load was applied or for how long. What you are doing is showing that you have very little engineering experience, by making blanket statements; the 17 is physically larger, has greater internal volume, has a less powerful processor/GPU, likely has larger heat-syncs, let alone software variance, ambient temperature. Essentially you have proved nothing, other than what you personally want to read into it...

Any supplier to any project of significance has deadline & criteria period, we are not talking about substandard components, they just don't meet your personal expectation. As has already been stipulated the economics are the overriding factor Apple design consumer product, built to an above average standard, have the best marketing in the business, Apple`s engineers are more than aware. Like it or not budgets are set and as an engineer you have to work within them, if you can guarantee greater; safety, reliability and or revenue then, and only then will people start to listen...

Internal volume has little to do with the thermal system in question. The primary sources of heat are very similar in size, so a valid comparison can be made. We're not talking a closed system here, as both systems draw and exhaust air in a similar fashion, with similar intake and exhaust ports and path.

The computational power has no direct correlation to the heat signature, I'm certain you know that. You wouldn't argue that a 3.4 ghz Prescott is anywhere near as powerful, even though that thing can heat your house, right? Both your 2.3 IB and my 2.5 SB are considered to be 45watt TDP, again, a valid comparison. No blanket statement at all!

You can't seriously believe only two laptops of identical build can be tested against one another.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Software doesn't 'make' the system run hot.

You can not program "heat" into any computer software paradigm in existence.

Not so - an inefficient software design can take more cycles to complete, thus increasing the load on the CPU. That's just for starters. The OS has control of many of the power management features. Poor design there equals poor power management equals more thermal load. Just a couple of points off the top of my head - the actual factors involved are more subtle and complex.

Heat is a product of one thing and one thing ONLY in electronics - Resistance.

That's it. That's the only thing in electronics that generates heat. Current + Resistance = Heat. Period.

Not true. There are other types of loads besides resistive (inductive, for instance).

So where does the resistance come from? In a CPU or GPU, same thing - the transistors switching on and off. Between states there is a momentary short causing current to flow through resistance = heat.

That's not how a transistor switch operates, even at the most simplest level. There isn't any such thing as "a momentary short" while it switches. I'll leave it at that, as transistor switch design is way off topic.

For any given CPU you have a maximum amount of heat that the CPU will generate running all out at full load.

TDP is the maximum amount of power the cooling system for the device needs to dissipate. But, yea.

Think about clock speed for a minute:

Given equivalent architectures, why does a higher clocked CPU generate more heat at full load? Because the transistors are switching faster. Yes, pipeline length comes into play for maximum clock speed, but at the end of the day you have transistors switching faster (this is also why for a given length pipeline, you hit a 'maximum' clock speed - the transistors simply can't switch faster)

Greatly oversimplified. The pipeline: there's much more going on in parallel to a single instruction pipeline, and is different in each architectural step - such as trying to compare a C2D with i7 Sandy/Ivy Bridge. As someone else mentioned, you can't compare different CPU designs and/or process steps at the same clock speed because they are doing a different amount of work for a given clock cycle. And, work is a basic definition of wattage.

Even between process steps there are changes in transistor design. The tri-gate transistor has a different efficiency than previous designs. Which reminds me - power can be lost due to a variety of factors, such as leakage current (there can be an equivalent resistive calculated, but it's not the only factor), and that effects total power consumption per a given computation load.

So for Apple's engineering team, they went "Ok, we want to insert this CPU, which requires this amount of thermal removal from the die" and from there they design the heat-sink assembly.

At no point did any engineer at Apple take into account poor heatsink contact area, nor overdone heatsink compound.

The system as designed works fine. The system as assembled does not.

No, you aren't brainwashed. You are, however, clearly ignorant to the engineering behind these. That isn't a bad thing, and I hope you take the opportunity to learn from these discussions.

I highly doubt Apple's engineers did not take into account manufacturing tolerances and required QA. That's not to say there aren't some defects that make it through. No company can assure 100% defect free products, and if they could, no one could afford what they made.

The data I gave, along with similar results by others, shows a factual and logical error on your part, since the system as assembled does, in fact, work. A system mis-assembled might not (a defect by another name?).

No insult intended, but given some basic errors made in your argument, well, are you an engineer yourself? 'Cause I are one. (old joke - deliberate grammar faux pas :eek: ).

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Internal volume has little to do with the thermal system in question. The primary sources of heat are very similar in size, so a valid comparison can be made. We're not talking a closed system here, as both systems draw and exhaust air in a similar fashion, with similar intake and exhaust ports and path.

Heat is dissipated by conduction to the heat-sink, which, in this case, is a heat-pipe carrying away heat to fins in the fan air stream (which radiate, conduct, and convect heat into the passing air. At the same time, heat is conducted to the chassis, conducted and convected through air (and some is radiated away). So, it seems to me the available volume of air must factor into the entire cooling design.

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
ECE.

Let's do a more in-depth look at the chassis, for the current discussion:

Claim (1):

The internal volume of air residing inside the 17" MBP is greater than the 15" MBP to the extent it will have significant difference in heat dissipation.

The heatpipe will indeed dissipate heat into the surrounding air via convection. Does the 17" MBP have significantly more air surrounding the heatpipe? I argue it does not. Here is an image (from iFixIt) of the 15" Late 2011 Macbook Pro heatpipe system:

GaOngAbgMUATyXYS.medium

Note it is the same design as the Late 2011 17" MBP I show in my video.

The 17" Unibody MBP is listed as being 0.1cm taller than the 15" Unibody. The length of hinge exhaust area is ~280mm on my Late 2011 17" MBP (would someone mind grabbing the measurements from the 2011 15"?), so you could make the argument that the 17" (assuming the 15" has the same 280mm exhaust length) has an extra 280 cubic mm of air. Approximately 0.02 cubic inches.

Ok, so assuming 25C ambient air temperature, specific heat capacity will be ~1005 J/Kg, with a density of ~1.18 kg/cubic meter.

How many kg of air do we have in 280 cubic mm? 2.8 x 10^(-4) kg.

How many Joules of energy can that air hold? 1005/1 = x/0.00028

x = 0.28 Joules. Are we really saying that the ability of the air surrounding the heatsink area to hold another 1/4 Joule is significant?

(to others following the discussion, 1 watt = 1 Joule / second. Therefore, a 45watt CPU will pump out 45 Joules/second, so the 0.28 J is ~0.5%)

Just to ensure clarity: I'm not stating that design protocol dictates ignoring air volume, nor that air volume means nothing. I'm only demonstrating that the air volume difference around the thermal cooling assembly between the 17" and 15" is insignificant.

Claim 2:

Transistor switches do not short to ground.

I can't even begin to believe this one, I'm afraid we'll need to discuss it further.

The transistors build a CMOS gate in the CPU/GPU switch between VDD (positive) and VSS (ground). I'm *really* confused, are you claiming this untrue?

I think you may want to look up how a CMOS gate works. There is a definite rising and falling edge, and as they overlap, you have a short, and power dissipation.

Claim 3:

You can't compare different CPU designs and/or process steps at the same clock speed because they are doing a different amount of work for a given clock cycle

Sure you can, you can compare any two or more items in the universe. Whether anything meaningful comes of that comparison is another story, however.

Intel is widely known to use their 'Tick-Tock' strategy for releasing CPUs.

You can compare C2D vs i7 for many things - Work/Energy used, for instance, and have a meaningful comparison there. (Tock vs Tock)

Tock vs Tick, though, is always enjoyable - per Intel, their Tick is simply a 'refining' and die shrink of the previous core.

Sandy Bridge vs Ivy Bridge, for instance, you can mark clear gains in power efficiency between the two, thanks to 22nm die + tri-gate design.

You can easily make the statement that Clock for Clock, Ivy Bridge should (and indeed, DOES) run cooler than Sandy Bridge, despite both being marked in that 45 Watt thermal envelope (I wouldn't be surprised to find that 2.5Ghz SB truly is a 45 Watt CPU, while 2.5Ghz IB is a, say, 41 Watt CPU)

So I don't understand your stance on this one. Are you saying no meaningful data can be had from comparing two different architectures?

Claim 4:

The 17" chassis is physically larger (has more aluminum) so the chassis will dissipate the heat more efficiently

Yes, you can argue that quite effectively. There is significantly more aluminum to the sides of the hinge area vs the 15", yes.

However, comparing a 17" vs 17" clearly won't have that issue. So another person that drops in with a 17" Macbook Pro wanting to know if 98C-100C under load is normal, when demonstrably the 17" should be running closer to 85C-90C under load. The same for idling @ 60-70C, vs the 17" should be idling @ 30-35C. (assuming STP for both statements, clearly)

The investigation into why one 17" (with a higher clocked BTO CPU I might add) runs significantly (17% average) cooler than others, is, I think, a mighty fine topic of discussion.

Ok, gotta get ready for work, wrap this up Doward

I think it's clear that the Macbook Pro line up has the capability to run cooler, and if Apple would implement just a bit more quality to the thermal system, it would perform admirably.

I do believe the (albeit limited) data points to there being a clear issue of Apple's Notebook Lineup running on marginal cooling systems.

No, I didn't get into the thermal conductivity of air (poor), and yes, I am simplifying quite a bit - the idea isn't to impress everyone with my particular knowledge, the idea is to help foster knowledge amongst all. I've always said that's the difference between being smart, and being intelligent. Something I feel entirely too many of my colleagues ignore.

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - frequently attributed to Albert Einstein

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
ECE.

Let's do a more in-depth look at the chassis, for the current discussion:

Claim (1):

The internal volume of air residing inside the 17" MBP is greater than the 15" MBP to the extent it will have significant difference in heat dissipation.

The heatpipe will indeed dissipate heat into the surrounding air via convection. Does the 17" MBP have significantly more air surrounding the heatpipe? I argue it does not. Here is an image (from iFixIt) of the 15" Late 2011 Macbook Pro heatpipe system:

Note it is the same design as the Late 2011 17" MBP I show in my video.

The 17" Unibody MBP is listed as being 0.1cm taller than the 15" Unibody. The length of hinge exhaust area is ~280mm on my Late 2011 17" MBP (would someone mind grabbing the measurements from the 2011 15"?), so you could make the argument that the 17" (assuming the 15" has the same 280mm exhaust length) has an extra 280 cubic mm of air. Approximately 0.02 cubic inches.

Ok, so assuming 25C ambient air temperature, specific heat capacity will be ~1005 J/Kg, with a density of ~1.18 kg/cubic meter.

How many kg of air do we have in 280 cubic mm? 2.8 x 10^(-4) kg.

How many Joules of energy can that air hold? 1005/1 = x/0.00028

x = 0.28 Joules. Are we really saying that the ability of the air surrounding the heatsink area to hold another 1/4 Joule is significant?

(to others following the discussion, 1 watt = 1 Joule / second. Therefore, a 45watt CPU will pump out 45 Joules/second, so the 0.28 J is ~0.5%)

Just to ensure clarity: I'm not stating that design protocol dictates ignoring air volume, nor that air volume means nothing. I'm only demonstrating that the air volume difference around the thermal cooling assembly between the 17" and 15" is insignificant.

If you are talking strictly about the air in contact with the heat pipe and fins, then no, there's not much difference. But that wasn't the original point. It was that the chassis had more internal volume (cramped as it was). Therefore, there is more air available (mass, heat sink) for heat transfer overall.

Claim 2:

Transistor switches do not short to ground.

I can't even begin to believe this one, I'm afraid we'll need to discuss it further.

The transistors build a CMOS gate in the CPU/GPU switch between VDD (positive) and VSS (ground). I'm *really* confused, are you claiming this untrue?

I think you may want to look up how a CMOS gate works. There is a definite rising and falling edge, and as they overlap, you have a short, and power dissipation.

The gate is operated just outside of the linear mode of operation. When the current on the gate increases, so does the current flow between the source and drain. If you keep it configuraded to operate linearly - you have an amplifier. Operating it non-linearly, means ther is a rapid change in the gate current, which results in a rapid current flow (operating near saturation - one is only waisting power if its over saturated).

That's all that happens - in the simple case, current flows from (for n-MOS source is connected to VSS (ground) and drain to VDD or some other part of a circuit. I believe you are referring to a CMOS pair - complimentary n and pMOSFETS - a typical inverter (wiki CMOS for one on a gazillion circuit diagrams of one). There something called a crowbar effect caused by each MOSFET in conducting mode simultaneously for a an instant. This has largely been reduced to below normal switching currents (using the common n-gate and !p-gates). And that minimal crowbar moment is a highly current limited one in any event, both by the internal voltage drops per device and by the biasing/current limits built into the CMOS logic gate.

Bottom line - this crowbar/short you mention is not a mode a single transistor (MOSFET or TTL or 2222, as examples) would experience during switching. It/they operate the way I mentioned in the first paragraph and my previous reply.

Oh, and you were taking about transistors - non TTL or CMOS curcuits. You said transistor switching on and off.

Claim 3:

You can't compare different CPU designs and/or process steps at the same clock speed because they are doing a different amount of work for a given clock cycle

Sure you can, you can compare any two or more items in the universe. Whether anything meaningful comes of that comparison is another story, however.

Intel is widely known to use their 'Tick-Tock' strategy for releasing CPUs.

You can compare C2D vs i7 for many things - Work/Energy used, for instance, and have a meaningful comparison there. (Tock vs Tock)

Tock vs Tick, though, is always enjoyable - per Intel, their Tick is simply a 'refining' and die shrink of the previous core.

Sandy Bridge vs Ivy Bridge, for instance, you can mark clear gains in power efficiency between the two, thanks to 22nm die + tri-gate design.

You can easily make the statement that Clock for Clock, Ivy Bridge should (and indeed, DOES) run cooler than Sandy Bridge, despite both being marked in that 45 Watt thermal envelope (I wouldn't be surprised to find that 2.5Ghz SB truly is a 45 Watt CPU, while 2.5Ghz IB is a, say, 41 Watt CPU)

So I don't understand your stance on this one. Are you saying no meaningful data can be had from comparing two different architectures?

I'm not seeing any major difference between what I said and you are now saying. But, it's too early and I might have missed something...

Your original statement was talking about strictly clock frequency as it to relates to a pipeline. And saying you can compare different chips based on power v frequency and "having a meaningful comparison".

Claim 4:

The 17" chassis is physically larger (has more aluminum) so the chassis will dissipate the heat more efficiently

Yes, you can argue that quite effectively. There is significantly more aluminum to the sides of the hinge area vs the 15", yes.

However, comparing a 17" vs 17" clearly won't have that issue. So another person that drops in with a 17" Macbook Pro wanting to know if 98C-100C under load is normal, when demonstrably the 17" should be running closer to 85C-90C under load. The same for idling @ 60-70C, vs the 17" should be idling @ 30-35C. (assuming STP for both statements, clearly)

The investigation into why one 17" (with a higher clocked BTO CPU I might add) runs significantly (17% average) cooler than others, is, I think, a mighty fine topic of discussion.

Yes. The OP is iirc asking about their rMBP - we've provided data based on ours that there is something wrong - either s/w load, or physical.

Ok, gotta get ready for work, wrap this up Doward

I think it's clear that the Macbook Pro line up has the capability to run cooler, and if Apple would implement just a bit more quality to the thermal system, it would perform admirably.

I do believe the (albeit limited) data points to there being a clear issue of Apple's Notebook Lineup running on marginal cooling systems.

Again, there isn't any factual evidence showing the cooling system is marginal. Going strictly by the anectotal evidence (with some real data in some of those) numbers, it's the evidence is showing anything but a marginal cooling system. In this thread alone, I've seen more rMBPs showing data points in line with mine and others, which we would definitely classify as normal. Quite the opposite of data you seen and the OP have seen.

No, I didn't get into the thermal conductivity of air (poor), and yes, I am simplifying quite a bit - the idea isn't to impress everyone with my particular knowledge, the idea is to help foster knowledge amongst all. I've always said that's the difference between being smart, and being intelligent. Something I feel entirely too many of my colleagues ignore.

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - frequently attributed to Albert Einstein

I agree, except there is a point where too simple can miss the target. :-D

It's been fun, but now it's tired and I'm getting early. :apple::cool:

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
No one likes shoddy workmanship. A crappy CPU/GPU paste job is a valid complaint. Not machining the heat sink properly at the factory is also disappointing. Making light of this is the only way you give a chance to these things improving in the future. Furthermore, who wouldn't want their notebook running cooler overall? It certainly wouldn't hurt!

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
as you have your computer over the years it will begin to have dust settle in it- thats unavoidable and this reduces the fans performance which makes the laptop become hotter over time. therefore you need a cool running laptop when you get it so it has a longer lifespan, otherwise you end up with a machine that will downclock itself everytime you wanna do anything intensive on it.
some people reports of idling temps in the 60s and 70s. thats crazy.

I remember the Anandtech review; http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/12

thats insanely low temperatures compared to what some guys here is getting.

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
gr8tfly said:
Again, there isn't any factual evidence showing the cooling system is marginal. Going strictly by the anectotal evidence (with some real data in some of those) numbers, it's the evidence is showing anything but a marginal cooling system.

Just popping in on my lunch break, but yes - there is factual evidence, as seen from Anandtech's review below.

I'm wondering if you're talking rMBP only, where I'm talking the entire lineup?

I remember the Anandtech review; http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/12

thats insanely low temperatures compared to what some guys here is getting.

Good info, thank you.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Just popping in on my lunch break, but yes - there is factual evidence, as seen from Anandtech's review below.

I'm wondering if you're talking rMBP only, where I'm talking the entire lineup?

I don't know (and I'm even awake now ;)) - I thought the OP's machine was an rMBP? But, I did mention experiences with my other MBPs (and even older PBs) in my first post. I think, in general, most of our points would apply to other models, too, though.

Seems like that Anandtech article agreed with those of us reporting much lower temps than the OPs. I tend to agree with them on the top case temp - the area just to the left of center does feel warmer than a similar area on previous UB MBPs, but the keyboard and palm rests feel cooler (I don't have my old machine around to actually measure with an external thermometer). But, we've been tossing around internal sensor measurements here anyway (on my stress test, the palm rest sensor never reported over 28ºC).

Hope you had a good lunch break. :)

edit: Not sure this adds much to the discussion, but I found some top case measurements I did on the rMBP using an infrared thermometer (there was some other thread elsewhere discussing rMBP temps for another reason). Done during another stress test, though slightly different (doing Handbrake rendering). Internal temps were just slightly lower (a degree or two) than the Chess.app test). I also have measurements along and in the exhaust ports and on other points on the top case, but I think that'd be even more overkill for this thread.

Infrared thermometer measurements
Top Cover to rear of 4 key
107º F / 41.7º C
rear of the 7 key
107.3º F / 41.8º C
rear of the + key
102.8º F / 39.3º C

Last edited:

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013

I don't know (and I'm even awake now ;)) - I thought the OP's machine was an rMBP? But, I did mention experiences with my other MBPs (and even older PBs) in my first post. I think, in general, most of our points would apply to other models, too, though.

Seems like that Anandtech article agreed with those of us reporting much lower temps than the OPs. I tend to agree with them on the top case temp - the area just to the left of center does feel warmer than a similar area on previous UB MBPs, but the keyboard and palm rests feel cooler (I don't have my old machine around to actually measure with an external thermometer). But, we've been tossing around internal sensor measurements here anyway (on my stress test, the palm rest sensor never reported over 28ºC).

Hope you had a good lunch break. :)

edit: Not sure this adds much to the discussion, but I found some top case measurements I did on the rMBP using an infrared thermometer (there was some other thread elsewhere discussing rMBP temps for another reason). Done during another stress test, though slightly different (doing Handbrake rendering). Internal temps were just slightly lower (a degree or two) than the Chess.app test). I also have measurements along and in the exhaust ports and on other points on the top case, but I think that'd be even more overkill for this thread.

Infrared thermometer measurements
Top Cover to rear of 4 key
107º F / 41.7º C
rear of the 7 key
107.3º F / 41.8º C
rear of the + key
102.8º F / 39.3º C

You know, I haven't taken any IR readings of the outside of my case, so the next time I get a good encode going I'll get a few measurements to compare.

I'm working on procuring a rMBP after I run some tests of my older C2D 17" (2,1) MBP. I'm hoping to find a better quality heatsink (quality, I know the design is different) in the rMBP.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
That will help if fans are spinning up without increased heat, but resetting the SMC will not affect temps.

On the rMBP, it actually would affect temps.

There was a problem with the 1.1 SMC update that caused abnormal fan behavior at high load, and as a result, the fans barely come on after that while the processor is throttled down to the lowest possible speed (so overall performance suffers), and the machine just heats up over time.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
On the rMBP, it actually would affect temps.

There was a problem with the 1.1 SMC update that caused abnormal fan behavior at high load, and as a result, the fans barely come on after that while the processor is throttled down to the lowest possible speed (so overall performance suffers), and the machine just heats up over time.
The point is resetting the SMC can affect fans, but not directly affect actual temps.

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
As I mentioned, I get the same temps while surfing with Safari.
Safari average is 70 degrees, Chrome average is 80 degrees. Surfing with one tab, this thread, with Safari at 70 degrees is normal in your opinion?

That is ridiculously hot and abnormal.

Many laptops only get into the 80s running prime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.