Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fifteen years ago to this day, the iPhone, the revolutionary device presented to the world by the late Steve Jobs, officially went on sale.

original-iphone-2007.jpeg

The first iPhone was announced by Steve Jobs on January 9, 2007, and went on sale on June 29, 2007. "An iPod, a phone, an internet mobile communicator... these are not three separate devices," Jobs famously said. "Today, Apple is going to reinvent the phone," he added.

Ever since its debut, the iPhone has gone on to change the world and the mobile technology industry forever. After its launch on June 29, 2007, it took only 74 days before Apple announced it had sold over 1 million iPhones. The first iPhone retailed for $499.

Fifteen years later, the iPhone has completely evolved, featuring advanced performance capabilities, and cameras, accompanied by iOS and the App Store, which the first iPhone did not have. In an interview that was published yesterday ahead of the anniversary, Apple's Greg Joswiak and other Apple executives involved in the development of the iPhone discussed what it was like launching the iPhone and how it defined the industry for years to come.

Article Link: 15 Years Ago Today, the iPhone Went On Sale

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I remember picking up two of the original iPhones and if I remember correctly, getting a credit after Apple started offering a carrier discount. As much as they were slow performance-wise (compared to today’s devices), they did things that all my Blackberry using friends couldn’t believe, like browsing the web and pinch to zoom that allowed for actually being able to read small text on-screen.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I remember there not being an app store on the original iPhone. We were forced to use the apps given to us by Apple. Oh how times have changed!

Reactions: TheRoadRunner

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
I remember think $999 for a phone was outrageous and that I would never be able to afford one. It wasn't until the 3G version was released that I got on the iPhone bandwagon. The halo effect of the iPod was real folks.
iPod third generation for PC -> eMac -> MacBook -> iMac(s) -> iPhone(s) -> MacBook Pro(s) -> Apple TV(s) -> Apple Watch(es).

Before that iPod I ran a PC. Since 10.4 I have been on Mac.

I am stuck in the cult!

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
I remember there not being an app store on the original iPhone. We were forced to use the apps given to us by Apple. Oh how times have changed!
Yeah… but to be fair I guess that was more or less the case on most phones back then? Some “smart” phones did allow you to install some apps, but it was from odd places.

Reactions: ericwn

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
I remember my dad took out a new phone contract for me because I was under 18 and O2 wouldn't let!
Then I remember getting back home and the activation process took a couple of hours! Wonderful times. :)
That wasn't until the November of 2007 at the very earliest which is when the o2 and Apple officially launched in the UK - but initial release batches were for o2 Gold and Platinum customers (as their tiers were at the time).

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
I bought my 2G original in late July/early August, in MBK in Bangkok, Thailand, it was already jailbroken to allow any sim use - this was before the days of named JailBreaks too ... it was just the iPhone Dev Team IIRC

When I flew home I had a right carry on getting my UK carrier to provide the settings for it as it still wasn't released in the UK at that point

Reactions: gank41

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
Good price i've still got mine, not because I plan on it being worth lots (as I doubt it as it's not sealed and missing accessories) but because it was the first phone I ever liked and it changed what a phone is.
I had to sell it with the only cable I had that would connect. Meaning I could no longer use my OG iPad anymore unless I search for a used cable.

I remember the OG iPhone being super fast compared to my HTC Titan. And in many ways, because it could only use web apps, it was a lot faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.