Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluespider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Space Coast FL
I soo remember this.. this was real innovation. i remember how i thought is was a beautiful device with a beautiful interface.. so easy to understand, yet so very very useful and easy to use. There was a game that came out on it i think made by a gps app company, can't remember but it was a dice yatzee type game, the dice animation was incredible it was such a hit to shake the phone to roll the dice :) ... good 'ole days.

DrJR

Cancelled
Nov 20, 2017
I was there. I sold a whole lot of people on iPhone - er, it sold itself, they just had to see mine.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
Balmer said nobody would be interested in a $500 phone.
Only because Balmer's company didn't have a phone that was worth $500. 😂

Remember the iPhone funeral Microsoft had? 🤣
100910_msft_buries_iphone-1886953749.jpg

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
I remember being stuck on Verizon and couldn’t get my hands on it. It was frustrating.

I did switch to AT&T for the iPhone 3G, but it was like rolling the dice when making a phone call. You didn’t know if AT&T was going to send you to the person you were calling. Wouldn’t get another iPhone again until the 4 in 2011 on Verizon. Haven’t looked back again either since then. As I type on my iPhone 13 Pro Max on T-Mobile, I don’t have to fear some random stranger picking up when I try to call my mother. Haha. Just kidding.

It has come a long way, thought a few things still remain the same too.

Cellular service side of things, we’ve gone back and forth on reliability and changes with all the US carriers. Verizon’s range shrinks every time there is a new generation of signal. T-Mobile still has some dead spots and other slight issues with eSIM. AT&T… 5GE… not sure what issues they’ve got going. Boost is owned by Dish and running off some of Sprint’s network.

Data… how often are we going to bounce between unlimited and data pool? Unlimited EVDO data was just $30, then LTE was getting allotments and now we’re back with different flavors. I’m not just picking on Verizon, T-Mobile offers two tiers and would imagine AT&T has their own structure.

Any other thoughts from you guys? Memories from getting your first iPhone from AT&T compared to what you have today with cellular services?

michaeljk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
After watching Apple's introduction of the iPhone, I wasn't very interested in buying one. The day after they came out, I went to my local Apple store just to check it out. After a couple of minutes, I knew I had been wrong. I said to myself, "this changes everything." I bought one on the spot, and on the way home called my wealth manager and asked him to convert tens of thousands of dollars of my 401K mutual fund shares to Apple stock. I'd like to say I still have those shares but I was stupid and sold them during the free fall in the stock market back in 2008-2009. Doh!!!

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I'm still 100% convinced if you gave me one of my old Blackberries and about 5 mins to get readjusted to it, I could still type faster than I do on my iPhone now. I remember trying one in the store after they just came out and not being able to type on it at all. Then.... eventually my wife got the 3GS, and after that I got the 4, and of course never looked back...

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
When the iPhone went on sale in June 2007, the retail prices were $499* (4GB) and $599* (8GB) but those prices weren't sustainable. Less than three months later, prices were reduced $200. The following year, the 8GB iPhone 3G was just $199*. In a year’s time, the price of an 8GB iPhone significantly dropped by 2/3rds. Without those notable price reductions, the iPhone story could've turned out differently.

*Required 2 year AT&T contract.
True. But I think charging full retail helped bring in hype and it gave Apple bargaining chip when it came to negotiating with AT&T offering 2 year contracts for the iPhone.

Apple was unknown in the phone maker space... they went to Verizon first and was told no. AT&T gave them a chance, but I think there was some hesitation. During that time, most phone makers had 2 year contracts... but Apple decided to forgo that and forced consumers to pay full retail in order to buy it. This helped drive a crazy amount of hype and in return helped with carrier negotiations.

• Disagree
Reactions: dustin_

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Only because Balmer's company didn't have a phone that was worth $500. 😂

Apparently neither did Apple which is why the prices were reduced $200 within three months and then dropped even further to just $199 (8GB iPhone 3G) a year later. That was a 2/3rds drop in just one year.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
A client declared to me that NOTHING would dethrone the Blackberry, NOTHING, EVER! So, Blackberry? Hmm... :D

He also complained about the Blackberry server software to forward MS Exchange messages not working well, if at all.

I remember the Crackberry days. A lot of coworkers swore by it. I had one only becasue one client gave me one to access their email system once they ended OWA. In fairness, if all you wanted was email it was a very good device once you mastered thumb typing.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
A client declared to me that NOTHING would dethrone the Blackberry, NOTHING, EVER! So, Blackberry? Hmm... :D

He also complained about the Blackberry server software to forward MS Exchange messages not working well, if at all.
I started a new job in 2010 and they forced a Blackberry on me. I had a field job at the time and told them there is no way I'm taking a step backwards in technology when I'm out on the road. I want an iPhone and you either get me one or I'll use my own.

They laughed and said the iPhone is a toy in comparison, and Blackberry is the business standard. I asked, do you seriously think Apple is going to ignore the business market? Do you seriously think companies are continue to purchase expensive and buggy Blackberry servers? How an IT department can be so short sided is beyond me.

Long story short, I plugged my phone in to the charger at home and forwarded all calls to my iPhone. I told everyone, "for whatever reason text messages aren't working. If you need to get a hold of me call or send a text to my personal phone." Years later they finally caught on when somone noticed my bill had 0 minutes on it, but by then all the execs had iPhone's. 😂

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Apparently neither did Apple which is why the prices were reduced $200 within three months and then dropped even further to just $199 (8GB iPhone 3G) a year later. That was a 2/3rds drop in just one year.

I remember loads of people here complaining about it having a non-mechanical keyboard. And it would be a failure as a result. Similar to the iPod release and who asked for "1,000 songs in your pocket?"

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
When the iPhone went on sale in June 2007, the retail prices were $499* (4GB) and $599* (8GB) but those prices weren't sustainable. Less than three months later, prices were reduced $200. The following year, the 8GB iPhone 3G was just $199*. In a year’s time, the price of an 8GB iPhone significantly dropped by 2/3rds. Without those notable price reductions, the iPhone story could've turned out differently.

*Required 2 year AT&T contract.
The big price drop shortly after iPhone release was a "WTH" moment, but Apple was cool enough to give original adopters a gift card/code. I THINK it was $100??

My biggest regret was I did get a 4GB for myself, also an 8GB...only hoping to resell this (Yes I admit, I tried to profit). Kept this totally sealed up, tried to Ebay this...no takers. Ended up retuning this phone on day 13 getting a full refund.

IF I knew then what I know how how much this could actually go for in 2022 (Big $$)...I would have kept it, never opened it. Ugh.

• Haha
Reactions: Razorpit

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The early iPhone did require a 2 year contract. The original $499 (4GB) and $599 (8GB) iPhone prices were with 2 year AT&T contracts.
My apologies... what I was responding to was the high price tag of $499 and $599. Apple had to charge that amount because they were unknown in the phone maker space.

johnmarki

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2020
I still remember looking down at my BlackBerry and sending pictures of the new iPhone into BBM, and not realizing the irony that I was involved in. 🤣

Last edited:

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Bought mine on day 2 of availability (June 30). Still have it, though the screen is cracked in the corner. Still works though. :)

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
The halcyon days. The first few years of iPhone were probably peak Apple for most. They’ve been riding on the coattails of its success ever since, but the magic left with Jobs. Say what you will about him but he was passionate about the products. The only thing Cook has passion for is money and social justice politics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.