Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
I absolutely love the new Calendar, but... When I'm in the monthly view, there is no indication of any kind showing which days have events scheduled. Even when you go to a particular day that you know has an event scheduled, it doesn't display that event right away. You have to scroll to find it. Very inconvenient for people who rely on their calendar for scheduling.

Am I just missing something, or should I file it as a bug?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I absolutely love the new Calendar, but... When I'm in the monthly view, there is no indication of any kind showing which days have events scheduled. Even when you go to a particular day that you know has an event scheduled, it doesn't display that event right away. You have to scroll to find it. Very inconvenient for people who rely on their calendar for scheduling.

Am I just missing something, or should I file it as a bug?

I've noticed this too. I liked the list view under the month in the old calendar app; any kind of list view would be great ...

TwistedPain

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
Blue Springs, MO
I've noticed this too. I liked the list view under the month in the old calendar app; any kind of list view would be great ...

There is a list view..just click on the magnifier lens. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 176

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

Thanks for that! It's a little laggy on my iPhone 5; hopefully they fix that by the time it goes public. Actually I just bought Fantastical because I really like the month+list view, which that app has. Oh well :eek:

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Yes I can't beleive they removed part of this functionality. There's no real way to look at the month view and get an idea of how much stuff you have going on in any given month. Maybe I have to get used to it but it seems like a step backwards in functionality. I like the old way better!

Ben1l

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2006
Massive missing feature! this better be added by the time it reaches GM!

Jlrera

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2011
East Amherst
Calendar doesn't seem to work for me? None of my iCloud calendars have synced and when I try and add an event it tells me that no calendar has been set. Anyone else have that issue?

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
If you like list view, you'll love Fantastical. I had hoped the built in Calendar app would kill my need to have the extra app and I do like the new UI, but there's just some functionality in Fantastical that Apple is going to have to put effort in to top.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Invest in Week Calendar. You get Week-at-a-Glance with events as well as Month View with events, not just dots, although you can have just dots too.

joerichards

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Agreed

I couldn't believe it when I finally realised this functionality had been removed. I was hoping they might even add a week view in portrait mode... but, far from it, now its actually really difficult to see whats on in a day

And it was even touted in the iPhone 5 launch that you can 'see more events' in calendar... well now, you are limited to what you can see on the stretched out schedule, which if you are launch the app early in the morning, will be the empty early hours! Unless you like to schedule things in those times :))

joerichards

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Also whats really annoying, is that in the notification centre, the calendar will just show upcoming hours, not events, so if you nave nothing for the next few hours, no upcoming event info.... rubbish!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Ack! I spent a lot of time tapping here and there, looking at various views... It never occurred to me to click the magnifying glass!!!

Thank you for the info, but talk about non-intuitive... *sigh*

TwistedPain

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
Blue Springs, MO
Ack! I spent a lot of time tapping here and there, looking at various views... It never occurred to me to click the magnifying glass!!!

Thank you for the info, but talk about non-intuitive... *sigh*

I've found a number of things to be non-intuitive in ios7. One wouldn't assume a magnifying lens would show you a list of all upcoming events. Also, one wouldn't assume swiping down in the center of the home screen would bring up search.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
I absolutely love the new Calendar, but... When I'm in the monthly view, there is no indication of any kind showing which days have events scheduled . . .

. . . Am I just missing something, or should I file it as a bug?

Please do feedback this as a bug / missing feature. Personally I always start the calendar in month view as the dot indicators quickly show me where I have free time for appointments.

Losing this is a backward step that makes the calendar much less useful, however pleasing to the eye it may be.

Brilliant tip, thank you. Not what I would call an intuitive way to access however. Well done finding it.

Massive missing feature! this better be added by the time it reaches GM!

Absolutely, it's all well and good people turning to another app in the meantime, if they feel the need, but this has to be reported and subsequently brought back by Apple.

Also whats really annoying, is that in the notification centre, the calendar will just show upcoming hours, not events, so if you nave nothing for the next few hours, no upcoming event info.... rubbish!

Another good point - why list the empty hours in a day? All it needs is appointment start / end times and titles. People should be credited with being smart enough to work out their free time from there and the screen could show more relevant info.

Vader2

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2013
agreed - the overall functionality of Calendar in iOS 7 is awful. Reminders is equally worthless. The lack of usefulness of these 2 apps made me revert back to iOS 6.

mirzank

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
this HAS to be an oversight. I refuse to believe some idiot thought "hey those dots kind of don't go with the aesthetic of our new OS, so lets remove them completely".

It was absolutely necessary to see a month view with when you have things. I keep track of birthdays anniversaries etc on my calendar and loved checking to see if something is coming up so i can plan in advance for it.

List view never appealed to me. not as quick doesn't have that "at a glance" feel.

Last edited:

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Please do feedback this as a bug / missing feature. Personally I always start the calendar in month view as the dot indicators quickly show me where I have free time for appointments.

I filed this bug on Tuesday on the dev site. I've already received an email saying they closed it as a duplicate (meaning it's already been reported and acknowledged).

So hopefully they fix it sooner than later!

GrantMeThePower

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2011
I filed this bug on Tuesday on the dev site. I've already received an email saying they closed it as a duplicate (meaning it's already been reported and acknowledged).

LOL, me too. I have a feeling they got a lot of these.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida

Yes this is another annoyance and makes calendar events in notification center useless. The only way around this is to set the notification on the event to a day before or something like that as the Notification Center only displays "notifications" now and not calendar events.

Maybe this will change through the betas, hard to tell whether its a "feature" or just missing from the beta.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008

thanks!

Have you reported the preview pane thats 'missing' for month view?
I hope the dots come back and they are colour coded according to the calendar it belongs to

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.