Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nevesis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
@lukew: How Apple can spend less than a day to improve the reaction to iOS7:
http://t.co/Rtk4qfS4v9

#yesvisualsmatter

Redesign_iOS7_Comparison_V2.jpg

mixeraka

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
London
The redesign of the new icons is way better - I hope they change it before releasing it to the general public this fall.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I agree in principal but I think your changes didn't go far enough, they need to lose the kiddy-colour feel about iOS 7, it's not a pre-school toy after all!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Wow lots of obsession over app icons when most of the complainers will probably be sticking them in a folder for unused apps anyway. :rolleyes:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I would totally redo the whole control center thing. I personally feel like they shoved too much stuff together. They could have, I think, done it as the left end of the task bar. Basically how it is now. Use something like stacks to pop open groups of controls.

I'll try to mock something up cause its hard to explain what I mean.

As for the icons. I agree that settings is ugly, as is Game Center. And that they should have left a small border to make them pop off wallpapers. Unless they are taking away letting us use our own photos under the home screen.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
The problem is that all these images are static (although I love the mockups shown by mixeraka). I thought in iOS7 the icons are meant to pop-out by a parallax effect (appearing to move in 3D as the phone is moved).

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Im having a pop a redesigning them too lol. The first thing is make more space at the edges of the icons they sit far too close to the edge. This redesign does exactly that.

I don't see the lack of 'white space' as a problem at all. It's perhaps the one thing they did get right. If anything perhaps they could get right of all of it. Why not have no background. So what if it means the icons aren't all squares. Might look better that way

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I would totally redo the whole control center thing. I personally feel like they shoved too much stuff together. They could have, I think, done it as the left end of the task bar. Basically how it is now. Use something like stacks to pop open groups of controls.

I'll try to mock something up cause its hard to explain what I mean.

As for the icons. I agree that settings is ugly, as is Game Center. And that they should have left a small border to make them pop off wallpapers. Unless they are taking away letting us use our own photos under the home screen.

Double tapping home and then swiping left is so much less convenient than just swiping up from the bottom of the screen.

I like where Apple is going with these features you can instantly access in any app just by swiping (control centre, search and back).

g.money

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Both of these refined designs are fantastic. Love everything about iOS7 except the icons and the translucent overlay. These fix both. Send this to Apple stat!

mixeraka

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
London
The problem is that all these images are static (although I love the mockups shown by mixeraka). I thought in iOS7 the icons are meant to pop-out by a parallax effect (appearing to move in 3D as the phone is moved).

The icons doesn't have nothing to do with the parallax effect :]

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Double tapping home and then swiping left is so much less convenient than just swiping up from the bottom of the screen.

I like where Apple is going with these features you can instantly access in any app just by swiping (control centre, search and back).

Who says you need to double tap anything. You can already swipe up on an iPad. So just make that for all devices. One swipe up, one over and you are in Control Center. If that's too much work for folks they have serious first world problems.

Nostalgia

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2013
indeed, just by simple changes they can make it look so much better.. i really hope they patch it up till the final release, it really needs improvements overall but specially design-wise.

cheers to the dude that did those, really improved them a lot!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Both of these refined designs are fantastic. Love everything about iOS7 except the icons and the translucent overlay. These fix both. Send this to Apple stat!

I don't have an issue with the translucent part. In fact I like that. It's the 3d moving wallpaper (what is the practical and needed function of this) and the ugly icons that I have issue with.

Although from what I have seen, Game Center is ugly on the inside as well. So I guess that hideous icon is meant to prepare you for it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.