16 gb iPad 3 still meeting needs?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cfs, Apr 2, 2012.

1. cfs, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

cfs macrumors 6502a

Hi All,

Is anyone struggling with a lack of space who have the 16gb new iPad? I ask because I am getting one soon and have been contemplating. I have a 32 gb iPad 1 that is only using 12.5 GB, add 2gb for the IOS software and the 16 would barely cut it for me if I got it and not allow me to take any video, photos or rent an 1080p movie.

I know iCloud is an option but you still neeto have enough space on your iPad to get the content on it if you need it. At least this is what I understand.

Just wondering hw everybody who has the new 16gb are holding up after a few weeks of use? In know every user is different but...

CFS

2. xdbuix macrumors 6502

I got the 16 gb. Honestly it's more than enough for me. I like watching movies alot but I hate having to convert, so I been using streaming apps which been working really well. Netflix plus air playit is what I've been using. Other than that I have a few retina games ie2 mc3 n such but I find myself watching movies and reading a lot more than playing games. IMO just keep it slim n the 16 is fine. I really got no regrets.

3. number84 macrumors 6502

I still have 9Gb free with 2Gb of dropbox files sync'd. I don't keep media on mine though. Everything's streamed. You'll be fine as long as you delete the apps that you don't really need. I'm thinking eventually I might get a proper Nav app that would take about 1-2Gb is space, but even then, I think I'll be good.

4. cfs, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

I keep mine decently slim but I guess not slim enough. I have about 500 mb in songs, 3 gb in movies, about 1000 photos, and 50 apps that I use on a consistent (at least twice a week) basis. I guess I was thinking what would happen if I wanted to download keynote and do some work on it if it could hold up.

Thanks for both your replies

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

6. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

I like to watch 1080P shows/movies, so I am very glad I changed my mind and went with the 32gb one. I don't mind managing my data, but 16gb would limit what I could have on my iPad too much.

7. Skika macrumors 68030

8. rd261 macrumors regular

I had to exchange my 16 for a 32 but that was only because my school uses ebooks and had to download like 8 gigs worth of books for my 4 years of med school. If it weren't for that it would have been more than enough for me.

9. MR1324 macrumors 6502

10. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Yes, because most people who get the 16gb have buyer's remorse shortly after and return it for a 32gb.

11. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I'm not really having buyers remorse of having 16gb... more on having LTE... I love it but I just don't know if I actually "need" it in my every day life and I could "save" 30 bucks if I get the 32gb Wifi... as of now I still have about 1gb of space on my iPad but it has more than I need in videos right now and that is really the only thing I put on my iPad... I could put more but that's just a larger queue of stuff to go through.

12. WSR macrumors regular

FYI: There are video player apps, i.e. Good Player, that plays most file formats. Virtually eliminating the need to convert.

13. Dane9 macrumors member

Not really, i have 16GB and is perfect for me have almost 100 apps and 100 books, and still 5GB free

For casual user 16GB is PERFECT, thanks Apple!!!!

14. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Give it another week or two, you two will have a completely different story.

15. Kyllle macrumors 6502

When I stream videos over AirPlay, such as rough Netflix or the NBC app, the video is really choppy and stutters. My Internet is about 25mb/s, so I don't think that's the problem.

Luckily I'm okay with Netflix since they have an apple tv app for it, but for other apps this doesn't work well. Does your video stream pretty consistently?

I got the 16gb, down from the 32 iPad 2 that I had before, and it's been fine so far. I'm using 8gb, using iTunes match (I think ive listened to one song since getting the new iPad, but it's nice to have access to all of them when I want.

Most of the space I use is due to photos and apps. I have a few apps that are a few hundred mb, but most are fairly small, and haven't gotten substantially larger with the retina updates as all the "experts" predicted. Certainly not 4 times bigger.

And I don't keep any movies on it either, just use Netflix. I have a few videos I shot, but nothing more than a few minutes long.

16. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I've had all 3 iPads all at 16gb... haven't had a problem yet.

17. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

3rd gen ipad is different from the last 2, retina display means more apps will be updated to retina which means bigger app sizes and usage.

18. Dane9 macrumors member

I have my ipad for 2 weeks and now i'm 100% sure i made the right choice 16GB is perfect, because i have many many apps books and i don't use all, when i need i delete them simple

16GB is the one for me :)

19. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

It's not like the apps themselves will actually double in size though. And then there are apps like Infinite Blade 2 that didn't really change at all... they are just rendering at double resolution but the size of the game is exactly the same, or so I've read... not owning the game I don't have numbers to back this claim up.

20. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Despite the huge iTunes library I have. I've never had a desire to store it all on an iPad. Or any other iDevice or Mac I have.

By keeping it resident on my NAS, I've got the convenience of rotating the content I want on the iPad quite easily.

Besides why give Apple an extra $100 or $200 when I upgrade every release anyway. 16GB is absolutely ideal for me.

21. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I keep virtually no music on my iPad nowadays. I have been using iTunes match and for the infrequent times I want to listen to music with my iPad I have my entire iTunes database there if I need it.

So 16GB for me is fine--and has been fine with my iPad 1 for nearly two years now.

And contrary to the assertion that the new iPad will mean I suddenly can't get by with 16GB I say, nonsense. As I have transitioned from on-board storage to streaming (local and Internet) I am finding I have more free space, not less.

My iPad 1 had the same music and video loaded on it for over a year. Not getting into that trap again lol.

Michael

22. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow. I envy everyone here that can get by on 16gb. I have been trying for two days to slim down to bare essentials but can't get below the 12.5gb mark. The videos I have on I unfortunately need to show people at times and I need some space in case I want to shoot about 10 minutes of video. Haven't given up yet. Sill looking for a workaround.

23. nutmac macrumors 68040

This may be obvious, but it mainly boils down to these:
    1. Do you need to sync lots of music?
    2. Do you need to store and watch several video offline (e.g., travel)?
    3. Do you like to store lots of photos (e.g., show portfolio to clients)?
    4. Do you use Camera Connection Kit to transfer photos?
    5. Do you take lots of photos or more importantly, video?
    6. Do you read many iTextbooks, magazine subscriptions, or comic books?
    7. Do you play many media rich games?

If you answer yes to few of the followings, then you will need 32 GB (or even 64 GB).

24. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

I have 16gb of just music on my iPad, always went with the 64gb

25. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

16GB of music equals about 200 hrs.

Yep, I listen to that much before lunch most days.

How to you get along with so few songs? LOL :D