16 gig or 32 gig

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CyrusOz, Oct 24, 2010.

1. CyrusOz macrumors regular

Today I am upgrading from my Blackberry storm to the Iphone 4 but I am faced with a dilemma.... should I go with the 16 gig or the 32 gig. I don't usually store a great deal of music or videos on my phone normally because I don't get any time to sit down and watch it..e.g. public transport etc.

Does anybody think that there is any REAL merit in going for the 32 gig or will the 16 gig do the job just as well.

I can understand there being a huge difference if i asked this question about the IPAD but with the iphone I'm stuck.

Please help me peeps :)

2. dagored macrumors 65816

This is a personal decision. Only you know what will be put on your phone.

I went with the 32 and now have 12 free. I guess I made the right decision.

Also remember, the camera on the 4 is not bad. Movies and picts you never thought about taking might start using up space.

Again, your decision.

3. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

honestly if you never put any music or videos 16GB will be more than fine.

4. Ann P macrumors 68020

Its hard to answer the question for you, but since you don't store a lot of music or videos, the 16gb should be plenty. Although if you have the extra cash and it isn't an issue, you should opt for the 32gb and don't look back.

5. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

If you don't think you will take up 16GB, then get it. But if you will take up more than that/have the extra money, go for the 32GB.

6. CyrusOz thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the feedback peeps. The only real reason that it is an issue is that the plans on offer (Vodafone Australia) differ greatly depending on whether i go with the 16 or the 32. I'm sure I'll be able to find a use for the 32 g if I went that way but if I feel cheap and go with the 16, can't i just transfer all of the movies and photos to my Imac regualarly to keep my Iphone free?

Or have you guys found that to be a major pain in the bum? I've never owned a iphone myself (although my GF does) is it pretty straight forward when connected to the IMac or a major pain in the bum.... if it's not a problem then i might just go with the 16 g and do a regular maintenance process of offloading to my Imac.

7. dagored macrumors 65816

That will work. It is easy. Like I said, your decision. Only you know what you will use it for.

8. CyrusOz thread starter macrumors regular

ok, last final question.... I am having a baby in March next year.... perhaps the 32 gig might come in handy with all of the video i take of the bub...mmmm just when i thought I'd made my mind up.

Does anybody know just how much video you can store on the 16 gig... video from the Iphone itself I mean. If I can grab and store about 30 minutes of video on the 16 then that will be fine, but if I can only store about 5 minutes then I need to go with the 32 gig.

9. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

From answers.com:

Hours per Gigabyte:

Standard Quality

* 1 gigabyte / 320 kilobits per second = ~26 214.4 seconds
    * 26, 214.4 seconds / 60 seconds per minute = ~436.9 minutes
    * 436.9 minutes / 60 minutes per hour = ~7.2 hours

High Quality

* 1 gigabyte / 804.7 kbits per second = ~10 424.5 seconds
    * 10, 424.5 seconds / 60 seconds per minute = ~173.7 minutes
    * 173.7 minutes / 60 minutes per hour = ~2.8 hours

Very High Quality

* 1 gigabyte / 2147.2 kbits per second = ~3 906.7 seconds
    * 3906.7 seconds / 60 seconds per minute = ~65.1 minutes
    * 65.1 minutes / 60 minutes per hour = ~1.08 hours

10. CyrusOz thread starter macrumors regular

that's some great information so thank you very much for that.

Just so I am getting this right, 1 gig of high quality video is roughly 1hr and 8 minutes? Is that how you interpret that information?

Do some of the iphone 4 models NOT allow you to record video? Does it have to be a 3g version or something?

11. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Yah. You're welcome.

I think so. I just found it on answers.com, so that's how I would interpret it.

Hm? All of the iPhone 4 models are the same, there is no 3G version, just a regular version.

12. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I went with the 32GB and have only 1GB free. Movies take up a lot if space!

My gf has a 16GB one, which works just fine for her

13. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

It is a personal thing on how much space you do need. I say get the 32. I went with a 16 because I never had issues with space on my other iPhone T this size at all. Thing I didn't think about was that apps are getting bigger and HD video and pictures. I've had to delete some apps more than once to keep stuff I really wanted on my device. Now I'm waiting for my wifes contract to be up so I can get a 32 and give her the 16. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

14. smokescreen220 macrumors regular

smokescreen220

I would've gotten a 64gb, had they offered it :p

15. Moneyman1029 macrumors newbie

Moneyman1029

if i were to get the 16 gig iphone 4 now and then later on change my mind and get the 32 gig iphone 4 does anyone know how much that would cost me??

16. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

just go w/ the 32 man, you'll be glad if not now then later

17. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I went with the 32 mainly for extra capacity for shooting video. I keep about 20gigs of music on it, so I have plenty of room for video.

18. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

+1

Not sure why this is a hard decision.

19. CyrusOz thread starter macrumors regular

I had not even considered apps, i feel quite silly now but when considering the apps as well as the video this certainly makes me lean towards the 32.... interesting, interesting.

20. Ann P macrumors 68020

You pay the difference and the re-stocking fee.

21. CyrusOz thread starter macrumors regular

OK i finally made my mind up to buy the 16g Iphone 4 and when i rung them they refused to even take my order because they are so badly backlogged with orders..... what a joke. Is Apple that useless that they can't support demand or is it only a local problem with Vodafone Australia? I might just go to another phone.......Blackberry much be loving this.

22. Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Hi, I was asking the same question to myself last week this time and went for a 32G i'm very happy with my choice, it can take most of my playlists and lots of photos and apps..

Good luck

23. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I'm actually amazed at how fast I've filled up a 32 iPhone 4! LOTS of video and photos. And I really like not having to carry multiple devices.
    Heck, I'd take a 64 gig in a heartbeat were it offered!

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

With a 32GB you won't be pressed for space. With a 16GB, space can be gone rather quickly.

25. CyrusOz thread starter macrumors regular

Out of curiosity, what's the most amount of space anybody has ever taken up with just apps lone..... i'm pretty well certain that I'll never come close to using the 16g with the apps..... it's not that difficult (apparently) or of a nuisance to simply transfer files to my Imac if the iphone get's near full. I'd love the buy the 32g but the plan I want only really goes with the 16g....

Decision made I think.