Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to announce its widely rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro this week, according to a tweet from Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

16-inch-macbook-pro-icon-catalina-800x497.jpg

In another tweet, Gurman suggested the announcement will be made by Wednesday. The news would likely be shared in the form of a press release on the Apple Newsroom and would also likely coincide with early hands-on impressions of the 16-inch MacBook Pro from select media outlets and YouTube channels.

9to5Mac recently reported that Apple appears to be holding private press briefings of some kind at its luxury loft mansion in New York City this week, likely to facilitate those 16-inch MacBook Pro first impressions. Multiple out-of-town tech reporters have tweeted that they are in or headed to New York City over the last few days.

Rumors suggest the 16-inch MacBook Pro will feature slimmer bezels around the display, a more reliable scissor switch keyboard, a standalone Touch ID sensor, and possibly a much-requested physical Esc key. Pricing is unknown, but would likely be higher than the $2,799 high-end 15-inch MacBook Pro.

For what it's worth, 15-inch MacBook Pro models with AMD Radeon Pro Vega graphics options became available to order on the Wednesday of this week a year ago, along with a (PRODUCT)RED version of the Apple Watch Sport Loop. Apple also launched its annual holiday gift guide on the same day.

After rampant rumors, supply chain clues, and leaked imagery from macOS Catalina, the 16-inch MacBook Pro might be 24 hours or less away.

Article Link: 16-inch MacBook Pro Announcement Expected by Tomorrow

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I love that the stock image of the 16" is using a Tiger era wallpaper.

amazing to think these 'new' keyboards have been in circulation, and multiple revisions ultimately resulting in the same concerns there always was, since 2015 introduced with the now discontinued 12" MacBook.

I hope these new-new keyboards are rolled out on every new Mac moving forward, assuming they're 'all that' (and have more key travel). Time will tell though if they're worth being jealous of

I think Apple seems to intuitively forget a lot of people inherently like pressing buttons and feeling a click and physically interacting with their electronics to varying degrees.

Last edited:

hardwickj

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
My 2018 MacBook Pro TouchBar died again this weekend. Went completely blank. No escape key, nothing. Killing the Touch Bar agent and control strip did nothing. Had to reboot to get it back. It's going on 4 years with this damn thing and we're still dealing with this awesomsauce.

Combine that with the 2x I've had my laptop in for service for both the keyboard and the display being defective, and I'm reaching the end of my rope.

Escape key. Functioning keyboard. Arrow keys that can actually be distinguished from one another. It's not like we're asking for a miracle here.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
What processors will they use? It’s a curious time for a MBP refresh with, hopefully, Tiger Lake only a few months away.

I think Apple have "consicously-uncoupled" there refresh cycle from intel's. So from Apple perspective I think that they view this machine not to be new because of a chipset, but because of all the other features. Probsabyl therer will be3 silent updates whenever next chipset comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.