Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced its widely rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro with a larger display and slimmer bezels, a new Magic Keyboard with a scissor mechanism and physical Esc key, up to 64GB of RAM, up to 8TB of SSD storage, AMD Radeon Pro 5000M graphics options, upgraded speakers and microphones, and more.

16-inch-macbook-pro-buy-800x743.jpg

The new 16-inch MacBook Pro replaces the 15-inch MacBook Pro, which has been discontinued. It is possible the 15-inch model will appear in Apple's clearance store at some point, but it is not available at this time.

The new 16-inch MacBook Pro starts at $2,399 in the United States, consistent with the former 15-inch MacBook Pro. A maxed-out 16-inch MacBook Pro with a 2.4GHz 8-core Core i9 processor, 64GB of RAM, 8TB of SSD storage, and AMD Radeon Pro 5500M graphics runs $6,099 on Apple's online store.

Read more about the 16-inch MacBook Pro here.

The new 16-inch MacBook Pro is available to order today through Apple.com and the Apple Store app in many countries. It will be available in Apple Stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers in the United States later this week and is "coming soon" to stores around the world, according to Apple.

Article Link: 16-Inch MacBook Pro Replaces Discontinued 15-Inch Model, Pricing Ranges Between $2,399 and $6,099

Last edited:

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
Kinda want to upgrade. Wonder how much I could sell my base 15” from 2018 for.

siraic

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Why does the base model come with 1TB of storage? Did they really think their base model was becoming too cheap?

EDIT: I was wrong, the base model comes with 512GB. The design of the order page is just confusing once you scroll down:

1573658198917.png

Great update otherwise, resolves most complaints of the previous generation, and slightly better priced. I've got no use for 1TB though, especially with iCloud drive.

Last edited:

dynamojoe

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Miami, FL
The saddest words I've read today: "Apple Store Pickup is currently unavailable"

I want it now. 2.3 8 core with 16/1TB is $2599 after edu discount and it's a stock model so they may have it in the store right away.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Sorry, but I just have to chuckle at all the folks who a month or two ago bought the 2019 15-incher, with the flawed keyboard, way worse thermal management ... absolutely convinced this one wouldn't come out anytime soon, or be way too expensive.

Now you're kinda stuck with one of the laptops that is part of what will arguably be remembered as one of the worst series of laptop designs Apple ever made.

Last edited:

paulvee

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NYC
Since I don't want to run Catalina just yet, I'm going to hold off. I always upgrade my OS as soon as possible and have for over 20 years, but not with Catalina. Maybe in 6 months. For those complaining about pricing - and I personally don't need a laptop with an 8TB boot drive, but perhaps some do, it's completely in line with Apple's historical pricing on high end machines for decades. Go back and look it up before you start to whine.

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
£5,769.00 for a laptop fully loaded! Are they crazy or just plain greedy. Even £2,799 for entry level is going to be too expensive for most. For that you can buy a 2nd car!
Have you looked at the equivalent PC notebooks. Once you give them similar specs the prices get close to being the same. There are so many differences under the Apple hood that there is no way to do a 1 to 1 comparison.

intelligence

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2015
Sorry, but I just have to chuckle at all the folks who a month or two ago bought the 2019 15-incher, with the flawed keyboard, way worse thermal management ... absolutely convinced this one wouldn't come out anytime soon, or be way too expensive. Now you're kinda stuck with one of the laptops that will go down as arguably one of the worst laptop designs Apple ever made.

Yup. But on the other hand, if you did a little bit of research before your buy, you'd know that you were forking up money on a flawed product.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
£5,769.00 for a laptop fully loaded! Are they crazy or just plain greedy. Even £2,799 for entry level is going to be too expensive for most. For that you can buy a 2nd car!
I don't know where you live, but I'd love to see cars for £5,769. Where I'm from (Chicago area), cars start ay over twice that!

64GB/8TB... Wow! That's a lot of horse power for a notebook.

64 GB of RAM & 8 TB of SSD? Damn. I remember just waiting for 32 GB in a MacBook Pro. Plus, I think the largest SSD I've ever seen is 2, maybe 4 TB, so 8?!?

Maxed out with an educational discount is $5,738.99.Not sure if I'll get this or wait for a new iMac.

Reactions: vito

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Yup. But on the other hand, if you did a little bit of research before your buy, you'd know that you were forking up money on a flawed product.

Yea, but even a fair number of people on these threads, who knew full well about the complaints of the 2016-2019 laptops still swore by them and bought them. Not sure where those folks are now, but I have this mental image of them looking at their 'beloved' 2019 15-incher this morning, thinking "well **** me"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.