Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Died in the sense of it's almost impossible to buy a machine that supports ExpressCard any more. Until fairly recently, one of the 17" Windows workstations did (I forget who), but a quick perusal of their spec pages shows that that's gone, too.

Of course, people are still using old ExpressCards, but they're becoming harder and harder to support. There are pieces of lab equipment that still require RS-232 serial ports, Centronics parallel ports or pre-NT Windows (98) (in rare cases some piece of lab equipment will still depend on something like an Apple ][ series computer). The folks using them have no choice but to keep the fusty old hardware going, by cannibalizing machines found on eBay, or to replace a perfectly good mass spectrometer or whatever it is...

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Will the 16' model cost a fortune?
Much more than the 15' model?

But this should not be the case, as I believe there will be not 15' model at all, right?

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
POWER SUPPLY QUESTION

After reading this article today, it seems that Apple is really making this machine indeed.

Can somebody tell me if this 'satechi' adapter with pass-through charging, will be able to work properly with such a 16 machine?

I don't care if it will charge it more slowly, I just want to know if it is suitable without limiting the mbp capabilities or harming it in any case.

JoeK76

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2019
London, UK
I don't care if it will charge it more slowly, I just want to know if it is suitable without limiting the mbp capabilities or harming it in any case.

You can probably draw some inference from the behaviour of current MacBook Pros: if you connect them to a charger that is below the required rating, for example if you use a MacBook Air charger (45W), they will charge the MBP when it is sleeping or idling, but when the MBP is being actively used and needs to draw more power than the charger can supply then the MBP will either stop charging, or in case of heavy usage / heavy power demand the MBP will use it's battery to supplement the power delivered by the charger. In other words, if the MBP is seeing heavy use and is plugged in to a lower rated charger the battery will discharge. More slowly than without the charger of course, but it's not really a viable long term solution.

Reactions: cool11

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
POWER SUPPLY QUESTION

After reading this article today, it seems that Apple is really making this machine indeed.

Can somebody tell me if this 'satechi' adapter with pass-through charging, will be able to work properly with such a 16 machine?

Compatible with 2018 iPad Pro, 2018 MacBook Air, 2017 iMac, iMac Pro, 2016/2017/2018 MacBook Pro 13" and 15" models

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
You can probably draw some inference from the behaviour of current MacBook Pros: if you connect them to a charger that is below the required rating, for example if you use a MacBook Air charger (45W), they will charge the MBP when it is sleeping or idling, but when the MBP is being actively used and needs to draw more power than the charger can supply then the MBP will either stop charging, or in case of heavy usage / heavy power demand the MBP will use it's battery to supplement the power delivered by the charger. In other words, if the MBP is seeing heavy use and is plugged in to a lower rated charger the battery will discharge. More slowly than without the charger of course, but it's not really a viable long term solution.

So, now that the new 16' model is out, what are the facts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.