Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OMGWTFBBQ

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Hi all. I just pulled the trigger on a new M3 Max 16-inch (STOKED!).

I have a 38-inch LG ultrawide monitor (LG 38GL950G-B), which is currently hooked up to my gaming PC via DisplayPort. It's a great monitor that supports up to 175hz, HDR (technically), and is 3840x1600.

I'm hoping to easily swap between the PC and new MBP in my office and use the same ultrawide monitor + KB&M at a high refresh rate and quality settings (Ideally 120hz @ 10bit Full RGB, which I think is the max the monitor supports). I'm wondering what might be the best method to share and swap between machines. Real world experience with the same scenario would be really helpful.

Originally I was thinking I might just use the MBP's built-in HDMI port w/ my LG's vacant HDMI port, and then just get a cheap USB switch for swapping the M&KB. Downside seems to be that HDMI is limited to 85hz on the LG's HDMI port?

Otherwise... my option is to get an expensive KVM switch (~ $400 for a good one) and use the DisplayPort LG input for both machines. Upside here is that this KVM switch in particular has a speedy usb hub built in. Also it has EDID and HDCP signal emulation so "monitors stay synced for faster switching times, and desktop settings are maintained to avoid disrupting your workflow while switching between up to 2 computers" (taken from KVM's website).

Curious what you all think is the best path forward, and if anyone has any real-world experience with this scenario. Thanks!

thegreatshiraz

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2023
Hi all. I just pulled the trigger on a new M3 Max 16-inch (STOKED!).

I have a 38-inch LG ultrawide monitor (LG 38GL950G-B), which is currently hooked up to my gaming PC via DisplayPort. It's a great monitor that supports up to 175hz, HDR (technically), and is 3840x1600.

I'm hoping to easily swap between the PC and new MBP in my office and use the same ultrawide monitor + KB&M at a high refresh rate and quality settings (Ideally 120hz @ 10bit Full RGB, which I think is the max the monitor supports). I'm wondering what might be the best method to share and swap between machines. Real world experience with the same scenario would be really helpful.

Originally I was thinking I might just use the MBP's built-in HDMI port w/ my LG's vacant HDMI port, and then just get a cheap USB switch for swapping the M&KB. Downside seems to be that HDMI is limited to 85hz on the LG's HDMI port?

Otherwise... my option is to get an expensive KVM switch (~ $400 for a good one) and use the DisplayPort LG input for both machines. Upside here is that this KVM switch in particular has a speedy usb hub built in. Also it has EDID and HDCP signal emulation so "monitors stay synced for faster switching times, and desktop settings are maintained to avoid disrupting your workflow while switching between up to 2 computers" (taken from KVM's website).

Curious what you all think is the best path forward, and if anyone has any real-world experience with this scenario. Thanks!
How did you go? Did you end up buying the KVM switch? I'm wondering for the price whether I'm actually better off buying 2 monitors rather than investing so much in an external KVM switch. Thoughts? How have you gone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.