Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Watched the 2nd episode of The Bridge on FX, Wed Nights 9pm central. I'm hooked... The El Paso officer, Det Cross, played by Diane Kruger (National Treasure) is a seriously socially challenged individual. Her Mexican counter part seems normal, but must deal with police corruption on his side of the border. There is a wealthy ranch owner who passes away and his wife learns after the fact that he had a shady deal with a mysterious client to run illegals through a tunnel under his ranch. There's a guy who likes to abduct women, a reporter who is targeted with a bomb in his car, and then there is the judge found on the bridge cut in half, the reason the two officers are working together on the case. And more, like Lyle Lovett who plays a shady lawyer. It's definitely worth a peak. :D

the_bridge_1_a_p.jpg

Chicago Sun Times Review

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I like the premise of the show, but I am not sold on her yet. To me, her character is way out in left field. I like the Mexican cop and I like her Boss. But I don't like her yet.

One creepy character was Lyle's character. He doesn't seem right if you know what I mean.

Also really like the news reporter.

Both me and the wife are on the fence and only because of her.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
RE: Detective Cross

I can suspend a certain amount of disbelief in order to enjoy a good TV show. I'll accept a mob boss with panic attacks (The Sopranos) and high-school teacher/cancer patient becoming a meth cook (Breaking Bad.)

But somehow the idea of a homicide detective with Aspergers just seems totally absurd. If you are going to spend a fair amount of time interviewing witnesses, suspects, etc. - isn't it sort of mandatory that you have the ability to read the other person's emotions? (Is this person lying? Are they hiding something? Do they seem overly afraid of these questions? Is this woman really that sad that her husband just died?)

People with Aspergers may perform admirably in certain law enforcement roles: Crime Scene analyst; dispatcher; etc. But homicide cop? No way.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
RE: Detective Cross

I can suspend a certain amount of disbelief in order to enjoy a good TV show. I'll accept a mob boss with panic attacks (The Sopranos) and high-school teacher/cancer patient becoming a meth cook (Breaking Bad.)

But somehow the idea of a homicide detective with Aspergers just seems totally absurd. If you are going to spend a fair amount of time interviewing witnesses, suspects, etc. - isn't it sort of mandatory that you have the ability to read the other person's emotions? (Is this person lying? Are they hiding something? Do they seem overly afraid of these questions? Is this woman really that sad that her husband just died?)

People with Aspergers may perform admirably in certain law enforcement roles: Crime Scene analyst; dispatcher; etc. But homicide cop? No way.

Another issue I had with her, is her inability to see the questions she was asking and the fact she couldn't see "this is not how it is done here". Especially when she is in Mexico asking why wasn't this investigated. She should know that the Cartel operate on a completely different level in Mexico. I guess the armed guards with their faces covered wasn't a hint.

She is a homicide detective and to tell me she doesn't know how Mexico operates is inexcusable especially it has been hinted at that she has been doing this for a while.

I completely missed the Asperger's part of this. Was this mentioned or is this what you are thinking she has based on her actions?

Again I like the show but her character is driving me nuts.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I felt the show is too slow and uninteresting 70% of the time. Feels like it'd make a better movie than series. The blonde detective and the Brain Cranston-looking guy have the only interesting scenes, some of the time.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Another issue I had with her, is her inability to see the questions she was asking and the fact she couldn't see "this is not how it is done here". Especially when she is in Mexico asking why wasn't this investigated. She should know that the Cartel operate on a completely different level in Mexico. I guess the armed guards with their faces covered wasn't a hint.

She is a homicide detective and to tell me she doesn't know how Mexico operates is inexcusable especially it has been hinted at that she has been doing this for a while.

I completely missed the Asperger's part of this. Was this mentioned or is this what you are thinking she has based on her actions?

Again I like the show but her character is driving me nuts.

VR must of done some research or he knows Asperger. :) I don't remember a medical condition being mentioned, although her boss seems to be familiar, correcting her frequently such as, don't change your blouse out here. And she lives on the edge engaging in risky behavior, inviting a stranger to her apartment to take care of her sexual need. In the context of this show, she is like a wildcard in the story.

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
VR must of done some research or he knows Asperger. :) I don't remember a medical condition being mentioned, although her boss seems to be familiar, correcting her frequently such as, don't change your blouse out here. And she lives on the edge engaging in risky behavior, inviting a stranger to her apartment to take care of her sexual need. In the context of this show, she is like a wildcard in the story.

In the cast part...."Diane Kruger as Det. Sonya Cross, a member of the El Paso police department. Cross has Asperger syndrome.[2]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge_(2013_TV_series)

http://www.fxnetworks.com/thebridge/about

"This does not sit well with Sonya, who has Asperger’s and strictly follows rules as well as protocol. Her candid and off-putting personality fuels an unforgiving drive for truth. "

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In the cast part...."Diane Kruger as Det. Sonya Cross, a member of the El Paso police department. Cross has Asperger syndrome.[2]"

"This does not sit well with Sonya, who has Asperger’s and strictly follows rules as well as protocol. Her candid and off-putting personality fuels an unforgiving drive for truth. "

Yes, I mentioned research. As far as I know her condition has not been named in the show. :)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008

Thanks for the links. Interesting to say the least.

Yes, I mentioned research. As far as I know her condition has not been named in the show. :)

I agree, if it was I know I missed it.

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan

You are right, they don't mentioned her condition so far, I guess they released / revealed her condition later to the viewers.

So far I like the show

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Entertainment Weekly July 26 issue gives it a B+.

You know your watching a great serial-killer mystery when the serial killer is the least interesting part.

I had to laugh at this about Diane Kruger (Det Cross):
With her mannequin beauty, rigid movements, and slight German accent, Kruger seems less like a woman on the spectrum trying to pass as a border cop than a Euro-cyborg trying to pass as a human.
:D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Spoiler!​

Did anybody catch last weeks episode.

What was the clue that lead them to the Lawyers house? I missed that part............

If referencing Episode 1.05, "The Beast", do you mean FBI agent Geldman's psychiatrist, the guy who was found dead at the end of the episode? If so, the FBI knew about Geldman's association with Christina Fuentes (the bottom half of the original body). Reading the files, Cross and Ruiz discover he (Geldman) was undergoing therapy, go to talk to the psychiatrist at his house and discover...
This is a good review of the episode: Bitch Stole My Remote with some interesting observations.

I'm digging it.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Spoiler!​

If referencing Episode 1.05, "The Beast", do you mean FBI agent Geldman's psychiatrist, the guy who was found dead at the end of the episode? If so, the FBI knew about Geldman's association with Christina Fuentes (the bottom half if the original body). Reading the files, Cross and Ruiz discover he (Geldman) was undergoing therapy, go to talk to the psychiatrist at his house and discover...
This is a good review of the episode: Bitch Stole My Remote with some interesting observations.

I'm digging it.

For some reason I thought he was a lawyer not a Therapist. Ok, well at least now I know how they found him and why. Thanks.

I am digging the show more and more. I am still on the fence about Cross, but man the scene at Ruiz's house with the wallet and "It doesn't taste good" comment was great. Her facial expression or lack of was classic!

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I don't want to be a drag on this thread so this is my last post (probably). Still watching (might have to stop) but this show is the opposite of compelling for a serial killer drama.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
If it's not holding you, c'est la vie. :)

I'm really trying to like it but the case doesn't move with enough twists that aren't cliched. Only interesting part is the blonde for five minutes each episode when she's acting off, and the guy with glasses has his moments. (Normally, I'd know the character's names...) Can see why people would like it but I feel it'd be much better as a movie; not enough story here.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I'm really trying to like it but the case doesn't move with enough twists that aren't cliched.

Yeah.

I've given The Bridge a more-than-fair chance. But I think its time for me to pull the plug. They obviously tried very hard. The cinematography, for one thing, is at least interesting. But even there, it looks like they are simply trying to copy Breaking Bad.

But as for the rest? Many, many problems.

1) Too many weirdos. One or two "strange" characters can make a show interesting. But half the cast on this show seems like they are off their meds.

2) Too many tired clichės. Lets start with the gruff-but-lovable Lieut. Wade (did they have to call him Hank? Really?) Add the callow newspaper reporter. The feisty latina. The dim-witted county sheriff....

3) Too freakin' slow...... I think its either A Bridge too Far or a Bridge to Nowhere.

But either way, I'm gonna skip the next one.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm really trying to like it but the case doesn't move with enough twists that aren't cliched. Only interesting part is the blonde for five minutes each episode when she's acting off, and the guy with glasses has his moments. (Normally, I'd know the character's names...) Can see why people would like it but I feel it'd be much better as a movie; not enough story here.

Hey the story is to find this guy who murders Mexicans, judges, and FBI agents, who claims he feels for the Mexicans' condition while he murders them. That's kinda strange and mind bending although I would not go as far as calling it Twin Peaks on the Border. ;) I'm liking that it's not the traditional realism based crime drama say like The Killing.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Hey the story is to find this guy who murders Mexicans, judges, and FBI agents, who claims he feels for the Mexicans' condition while he murders them. That's kinda strange and mind bending although I would not go as far as calling it Twin Peaks on the Border. ;) I'm liking that it's not the traditional realism based crime drama say like The Killing.

Let us know when the next episode worth watching airs. Maybe I'll try the season finale... :p

Jws

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AR
I'm really enjoying it so far. I find it to be very compelling. How slow a plot might move along hasn't ever been such that it bothers me, and in this case I can think of several others that move much, much slower. The Killing, mentioned above, is a great example, but The Bridge has a considerably quicker pace than that. I'm invested in almost all of the characters, the principal exception being Charlotte.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Oh no!!!! Why did they have to do a remake of this series? The original was great, there was no need to mess around with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.